DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

I also agree with it being tougher to book the smaller resorts on site at WDW at the 7 month mark. More folks are buying points for specific uses, I think --WL at Christmas time, BCV/BWV during F&W.

Anyone planning a WDW DVC trip at less than 7 months out has to be very lucky in order to not have to stay at SSR. More people are getting serious about owning where they want to stay, I think.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
cbnsoul
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannysMom View Post
I also agree with it being tougher to book the smaller resorts on site at WDW at the 7 month mark. More folks are buying points for specific uses, I think --WL at Christmas time, BCV/BWV during F&W.

Anyone planning a WDW DVC trip at less than 7 months out has to be very lucky in order to not have to stay at SSR. More people are getting serious about owning where they want to stay, I think.

This is why we own at the 4 resorts we like most (and also why we will be buying points at the Poly when it finally gets built).
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
DenLo
DIS Veteran

I think people have decided to admit that they buy direct. The offer for classic DVC resorts brought people out to declare their preference.

If you read most of the posts on these boards the recommendation is to buy resale. I know I've typed posts recommending resale. And some posts are more condescending than giving advice. So I imagine people were pretty intimidated by heavily biased posts, but with so many other DVC members taking advantage of the offer and telling us here on the DisBoards many others decided to say were buying or on the wait list too.

Financially I agree it's better to go resale. But some people really care about the exchanges especially into DCL despite others telling them it would be cheaper to rent their points and to pay cash. Some might like the loan without a credit blip. The most common would be buying a specific and/or difficult to find UY with an add on for a small number of points.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
dwight16
Mouseketeer

very very simple well at least for me....my first buy was resale 160 SS points back in dec 2010. i wanted to start to add on to my points but in 25 points at a time i want to pay cash and not have to borrow any money. first thing i hardly ever see any 25 to 50 point contracts come up on the market and when they do they are gone in less then 24 hours. people generally receive asking price or more. Secondary closing costs on resale can be up to 500 bucks. so your end up if you can get your hands on one saving a few hundred. now the contracts tend be current or stripped very rarely have any banked points. when you buy from Disney you receive current year points and if your close to your use year its almost like getting double. In my case i have a sept use year and i have my 2012 points banked already so i feel like i received and extra years worth of points. i know i did not but i look at as in sept i have 60 points to use on top of my 160 already. that is why i bought 30 points at VWL direct. i am looking for another 25 points at BWV on the waiting list.
dwight16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight16 View Post
very very simple well at least for me....my first buy was resale 160 SS points back in dec 2010. i wanted to start to add on to my points but in 25 points at a time i want to pay cash and not have to borrow any money. first thing i hardly ever see any 25 to 50 point contracts come up on the market and when they do they are gone in less then 24 hours. people generally receive asking price or more. Secondary closing costs on resale can be up to 500 bucks. so your end up if you can get your hands on one saving a few hundred. now the contracts tend be current or stripped very rarely have any banked points. when you buy from Disney you receive current year points and if your close to your use year its almost like getting double. In my case i have a sept use year and i have my 2012 points banked already so i feel like i received and extra years worth of points. i know i did not but i look at as in sept i have 60 points to use on top of my 160 already. that is why i bought 30 points at VWL direct. i am looking for another 25 points at BWV on the waiting list.
How long is the waitlist?
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #21
dwight16
Mouseketeer

no idea i went on BCV back in feb and i went on VWL in march and got it in 2 weeks....so i know BCV has more demand due to the ability of booking the value rooms 11 months out.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #22
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight16 View Post
no idea i went on BCV back in feb and i went on VWL in march and got it in 2 weeks....so i know BCV has more demand due to the ability of booking the value rooms 11 months out.
BCV has no value rooms. Perhaps you mean BWV standard view, which are a bargain & are snapped up by owners well before 7 month window opens in most cases.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

For a 50 point add on at SSR it was my choice to go direct and avoid the hassle and uncertainty of going resale. I did the math and still preferred to buy direct. We enjoy SSR and have been able to use our points at several other DVC resorts as well including BWV, AKL, VWL, and OKW. Not really interested in BLT (too much glass and concrete for us). Would like to try BCV sometime in the future, but we're very satisfied.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPA View Post
I think more and more people just don't understand math.
Not necessarily. Say I want and only need 50 points. I buy direct at $115--total purchase is just under $6000. I go to the resale market and wait, but can't find that size contract and am forced to buy a larger contract, say 100. Given the price difference though, It still costs that same $6000.

But, now I have double the yearly fees for points I really don't want and or need...so, in the long run, that resale purchase as a whole costs me more than buying direct. Yes, I know I could always rent the extra points or transfer them, but that is work. Going direct costs me the same initial output and less cost down the road.

Thats why i just dont think its just as cut and dry as buy in cost. And, with the $115 direct price for those older resorts, now was the time to make it work for smaller point add ons.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #25
Tigger2ntinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Question Were Thinking..

Were thinking of adding on,But our Guide said the Price offered now, is only good until Oct 4,2013.
I wounder what's going to happen after Oct 4??.
Do you think that's when the GF becomes available?? and they want to push those points to make it seems like the other resorts are less expensive.

tigger2ntinkerbell
Tigger2ntinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #26
Sur
Love the Dis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
Not necessarily. Say I want and only need 50 points. I buy direct at $115--total purchase is just under $6000. I go to the resale market and wait, but can't find that size contract and am forced to buy a larger contract, say 100. Given the price difference though, It still costs that same $6000.

But, now I have double the yearly fees for points I really don't want and or need...so, in the long run, that resale purchase as a whole costs me more than buying direct. Yes, I know I could always rent the extra points or transfer them, but that is work. Going direct costs me the same initial output and less cost down the road.

Thats why i just dont think its just as cut and dry as buy in cost. And, with the $115 direct price for those older resorts, now was the time to make it work for smaller point add ons.
Very good point... too large an initial purchase, forced by availability, costs so much more in the long run. The right amount of points hss been more important to us than initial cost output.
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #27
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2ntinkerbell View Post
Were thinking of adding on,But our Guide said the Price offered now, is only good until Oct 4,2013.
I wounder what's going to happen after Oct 4??.
Do you think that's when the GF becomes available?? and they want to push those points to make it seems like the other resorts are less expensive.

tigger2ntinkerbell
Seriously? $130pp only good until Oct 4? Not surprised.

This whole thing has worked so well for them they'd be pretty stupid to not try it again when VGF goes on-line. Have the guides spread more rumors about restricting resale points.......they are evil geniuses.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #28
Tigger2ntinkerbell
DIS Veteran

AKV was 135 in Oct when we purchased, it's jumped $10pp.
Tigger2ntinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
dwight16
Mouseketeer

Here is why I just got an email blast for a 50 vwl resale 78 a point and no points to 2014. So closing costs for this is 450. So I just bought a 30 point direct for 102 a point 3100 all in and I got 2012 and 2013 points not sure what the value would be for them. So you all can compare. 4450 resale no points to 2014 for 50 points. My deal was 30 points all 12 and 13 points for 3100. I don't feel there is much of a difference.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2ntinkerbell View Post
AKV was 135 in Oct when we purchased, it's jumped $10pp.
Sorry, I thought you meant the "classic" resorts. OKW, BWV, BCV, VWL and SSR.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: