Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
mermaidblue!
Earning My Ears

Help! Did I buy scrappers on Ebay?

My kids like to trade pins at the parks, so I decide to buy some pins. Problem is, I'm a novice at this! Our 3rd trip is next month, so I bought pins on Ebay. Opened the package today & my heart sank...what are these weird pins???

I got 50 and 8 are either gold or silver in color, and have no enamel/coloring at all. Are these the bad pins, the "scrappers"??? Contacted the seller & they replied that the pins are "chasers". I know NOTHING about this stuff. I Googled "chasers" and saw pics that look very similar to the pins I have. Never saw a "chaser" at WDW before, so I feel a bit wary. It looks like someone forgot to put enamel on it! Just want to make sure before I apologize to the seller & leave good feedback. Is it normal for a chaser to have raised lines? Like if you rub your finger over it, you can feel the ridges that make up the design?
mermaidblue! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
CarolinaGirlTiss
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidblue! View Post
My kids like to trade pins at the parks, so I decide to buy some pins. Problem is, I'm a novice at this! Our 3rd trip is next month, so I bought pins on Ebay. Opened the package today & my heart sank...what are these weird pins???

I got 50 and 8 are either gold or silver in color, and have no enamel/coloring at all. Are these the bad pins, the "scrappers"??? Contacted the seller & they replied that the pins are "chasers". I know NOTHING about this stuff. I Googled "chasers" and saw pics that look very similar to the pins I have. Never saw a "chaser" at WDW before, so I feel a bit wary. It looks like someone forgot to put enamel on it! Just want to make sure before I apologize to the seller & leave good feedback. Is it normal for a chaser to have raised lines? Like if you rub your finger over it, you can feel the ridges that make up the design?
When I was there last week there were some gold and silver pins on the CMs lanyards. I think there are some that are legit. I would need to know the ebay sellers name to check out their pins and tell you whether I thought they sell scrapper or not. There is a thread on this same page that has good and bad ebay sellers. That might be helpful for you.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
CarolinaGirlTiss
Mouseketeer

Not sure if you have a Facebook account but if you do you can see one of the chasers here....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
mermaidblue!
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info & pic. My pins look like the pin in the Facebook photo, so I guess they really are chasers! You've been super helpful.
mermaidblue! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Chasers are not scrappers, they are pins made without paint or enamel. You're fine.

and yes, scrappers have raised lines because they are basically the same pins without color inside.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419

Last edited by pixiewings71; 04-14-2013 at 11:47 PM.
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
CKCruising
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaidblue! View Post

If you bought a lot of 50, they are likely scrappers. If the seller has lot after lot of pins, they are more than likely scrappers. If you paid a buck a pin, I would expect nothing more than scrappers.

April 2009 - Disney Magic Eastern Carribean, Nov. 2010 - Disney Magic Western Carribean
April 2010 - AKL (Jambo), August 2011 - SSR (THV) + VB, October 2011 - BLT [MNSSHP], March 2012 - AKL (Kidani), December 2012 - BLT [NYE]
CKCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

Yes, pins exist that have no enamel filled in. For the last several Hidden Mickey series, Disney has made chasers of some of the full color pins. Usually 1 or 2 pins per 5 pin sets, for a total of 10 pins per wave, 20 pins per year.

However, scrappers of these pins do exist as well. For example, recently the unused blanks seem to be showing up on current lanyard series pins. People assume that these are the chasers, but Disney has not made an official chaser of that particular image, or the pin has the wrong number on the back. The chaser HM pins are usually # of 20, but if the pin says # of 5 then it's a scrapper/counterfeit. Pinpics will list the official ones, and it will tell you what number it is supposed to have on the back. And usually there will be a comment if a counterfeit/scrapper has shown up with a wrong number.

Also, there was a series from a few years back that had a pin that that was a full color, black & white, and gold version. But many of the gold pins have been counterfeited/scrapped. Such as this one: http://gallery.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/p....1366050767.v2

Tags
chasers, ebay, pins, scrappers, trading pins

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: