Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
aylarosie
Mouseketeer

Smile Are value resorts decent for older couple.

My husband and I travel to Disney in March for my Birthday week (march 20).This year we stayed at POR it was fun ,but we never made it into the pools or hot tubs,and we only went to downtown once on the boat. Last time we stayed at Poly and that just seemed over the top price wise. Iam pre planning for next year and am thinking about trying a value resort and splurging on the dining plan -deluxe. Any thoughts -pro or con ?Otherwise a moderate will be the choice.My husband does use a scooter and we just went to each park once ,but I plan to make dining reservations at some of the other resorts. I would like the option of a decent pool and food court,any thoughts on wich one is better ?I am turning 60 but really like the flower show and having parks to visit. Thanks Nan
aylarosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

I think you all would like the Values. I have stayed at Pop and ASMu and like both equally well. The theming is not as subdued as in the Moderates (aside from theme rooms at POR, etc), but it makes it more fun as you more aware you are at Disney!

The main pools are large and were filled with many kids on my visits. But the smaller, quiet pools were just that. Quiet. The values do not have hot tubs, but that is not something I normal would use.

The food courts can be a bit crazy at times, but then again, I guess all resort food courts can be.

I am a solo traveler and like my quiet when I am in my room. I have been placed on the top floor away from the elevators each time (luck of the draw!), and had NO noise issues what so ever. With your husband using a scooter, you may want a ground floor room. Just request one not facing the pools for no noise issues.

This upcoming trip, I am staying at CSR mainly because it is a 9night/10 day trip, and I plan on taking advantage of the spa. But I would not hesitate to use a value for any trip!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Magalex
DIS Veteran

I would suggest POP Maybe in one of the preferred buildings
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
WDW 2015-POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I would definitely try out POP if I ever went value. I hear that next to my fav POR, they have the best food court.

I would like to stay in the 60's, which is the era I grew up in.

At my age, I would ask to be placed in a quieter area, preferably like away from the pool, where it could get noisy. Many families that stay at values spend a lot of time at the pools in the evening.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.

Last edited by Missytara; 04-11-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

I think it might depend on the bed situation (ok let's face it - in my middle age mattress comfort becomes more of a priority). I thought the beds at the mods were more comfy than the values, plus the mods have queens rather than doubles. But you can get a King at either.

That said, I would definitely stay at a value - POP is my choice for an upcoming trip and I am not so young. Sometimes I thought the pool was fairly crowded at POP with young kids but I was able to swim some laps anyway and enjoyed it. Another thought I would describe the food court as bustling especially in the morning - but I would just take my breakfast out to a poolside table to enjoy. If a clean room and Disney transport is all you need in a resort - the values are a great choice with a great Disney vibe to match!

Have you thought about AKL? It is a deluxe at a much cheaper price than the Poly - you'd have a great ambiance with deluxe amenities.
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 Hong Kong Disneyland *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Shell54
DIS Veteran

Pop looks like so much fun! If we ever stayed at a value it would be Pop. I'm afraid of lots more walking and distances between things which keeps us at the Poly or AKL..more compact.

Disney Magic 8/12

Shell54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I'm your age...I love Pop!! It's so much fun to walk around and look at the stuff from the past. The walk around the resort is great...nice sidewalk with little signs along the way from various era's!!!
I never found the beds to be uncomfortable....I've stayed at most of the resorts, and they're all pretty much the same. I have actually had better mattresses at Pop than at one or two of my BWV stays!! Go figure.
As far as the pools go, they're fun. Not deep and hugely themed like other pools at moderates and deluxes, but they get the job done.
But, I also really like AoA. The pools there are a hoot!!! I'm looking forward to my two nights there next month.
I think you have a great idea to spend more on dining and less on resort stays. That's what I like to do as well. When I'm not staying DVC on my points, you'll find me at a value resort...almost every time!!
Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Sure they are decent, especially if you aren't going to mostly just be there to sleep, shower and get a bus to the parks. Pop Century is my favorite too. i'd think a moderate would be a better choice for older guests who want to spend some time at the resort.

I've been placed in accessible rooms at Pop Century before. You may need one if you're going to keep the scooter in the room. All the ones I've been in had king beds.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

I think you'll love Pop. The food court is high on your priority list and the value food courts are terrific. The walk down memory lane with each decade alone is fun. Since you're not planning on using the pools and stuff I think this might be a good fit for you. The only reason I haven't stayed value for the past couple years is when we go the pools are overcrowded in June and that's important for us.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
aylarosie
Mouseketeer

Red face

Thanks for the info,I tried to get a price but they aren't booking for 2014 yet.I will look into AKLas well.It seems like POP is the favorite so far.I like to try new resorts for something differant.
aylarosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
winterman
DIS Veteran

DH and I stayed at POP 4 times in 6 years (2005 - 2011) prior to his death last year. We loved POP and the price was definitely a factor. He was never one to spend more money than he needed to. (Now that he's gone I am very grateful for that.) We never made requests other than ground floor but were always placed in a quiet area. Twice, we faced the lake. In 2009 we did a split stay at ASMu and POFQ. When we were leaving to go home, I said to him, "next time let's just go back to POP." We felt that POFQ wasn't worth the extra money and our room at ASMu was too far away from the main building.

We never felt uncomfortable at POP. There were always other older guests there. (I am 63.) We used some of the money we saved on the room to eat at a lot of table service restaurants.

That said, I have to admit that on my first solo trip I stayed at POR and will stay there again in July because I really like the boat to DTD and I don't think I have too many more trips in me.

1976, 8/1990 offsite (DS and DD's first trip), 11/1995 Disney's Village Resort, 9/1997 CSR (first trip just the two of us), 9/2000 POFQ, 9/2002 offsite, 5/2004 offsite with adult kids, 9/2005 Pop, 9/2006 Pop, 5/2008 offsite, 9/2009 ASMu/POFQ, 4/2010 Pop, 10/2011 Pop (last trip for DH), 12/2012 POR (first solo trip), 7/2013 POR (with DD, DSIL, and DGS!), 11/2013 POFQ (with DS!),11/2014 POFQ (with DS!), 4/2015 POFQ (with DD, DSIL, DGS)

winterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Just a thought, since you mentioned that you will want to book dining reservations at other resorts, is that you will want to think about how you will get to some of those resorts.

The buses won't go direct from your hotel to another hotel, so you may end up doing a lot of transferring from your hotel to a park, and then taking a bus from the park to the resort you have the dining reservation at. You may not want to book breakfast too early in the morning, etc.
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

In November the entire family stayed at ASSp with my parents. They are in their 70's. They really enjoyed sitting by the pool. We didn't do many parks. I've seen seniors at ASMu , as well. I would probably splurge on a preferred location. Also, with a stay at the All Star resorts, you would have three counter service food options. Each resort has different items on the menu. ASSp is the first bus stop, if the resorts share buses. And ASSp is undergoing refurbishment at this time. New beds, paint, carpeting etc.

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I would choose a mod over a value just because the beds in the values are rock hard and are very crappy beds when you are going to be there for more than one night.

We have stayed at the All Star Music twice in a family suite and they have a very good food court. But the beds sucked.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
Just a thought, since you mentioned that you will want to book dining reservations at other resorts, is that you will want to think about how you will get to some of those resorts.

The buses won't go direct from your hotel to another hotel, so you may end up doing a lot of transferring from your hotel to a park, and then taking a bus from the park to the resort you have the dining reservation at. You may not want to book breakfast too early in the morning, etc.
Totally agree. I don't know how convenient it would be to have a deluxe meal plan if you're staying at a value.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: