Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
NWDAD
DIS Veteran

Hope you are having a good time. It sure looks like it. Still cold out here and waiting to pick up our new pup.

Kevin
Wonder 5/27/2013-Alaska
Magic 1/27/2014-Bahamas
Magic 11/12/2014-Southern, 11/18/2014- SJ to PC repo
Magic EBTA
DIS Dad's Club Member 685
NWDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Well we got little rain shower tonight but it's over.

It was warm and sunny but the white puffy clouds kept growing during the course of the day. You frequent visitors and Floridians know the warning signs: it gets warmer and hotter with increasing humidity throughout the day. Then the rain cuts loose for a steady rain that ends, the humidity drys up, the skies clear, and it's beautiful again.

Well that's what happened tonight. Although being spring, the rain is a little bit like a kid on training wheels. About 8 pm it started to drop enough rain to move under the canopy, but not enough to worry about. By 9 pm it was over, gone, and we had a starry sky again.

I went for a late night bike ride (no helmet, no light, and encountered practically no one). 1200 and 1300 are about half full as is 900 tonight. 1600 and 1700 are about half full and 1800/1900 have few campers at all. 2000 is pretty empty (20% full?) and 1500 only has 1-2 empty sites (naturally). But this is a Thursday night - and as I tell folks the spring weekends are popular with locals so I'm going to bet the place fills up over the weekend. We shall see.

Ratatouille was the movie tonight and at 9pm the crowd was small. I bet the rain kept folks away at the start of the singalong. I heard the "thump-thump" of the Illuminations fireworks from Epcot right after 9pm too. I love the sounds of the Fort. The boat whistles, the bus brakes, the fireworks sounds.

I mentioned earlier that I had been in a rut and wanted to do something different. Well this is it. First we are in a Preferred loop and not a Partial (got a 15% AAA discount a month ago on this ressie I made last year). Next, we did the drive down a little differently which turned out really well. I'll outline that at some point in the future.

I have scratched the usual "check list" places we have during a visit. No outlet shops, no Downtown Disney, no Disney theme park, no putt-putt. With the exception of the day at Universal, we go where the wind blows. So I am keeping my ear to the ground.

I didn't post in the "how much does your Disney vacation cost" thread because I don't think it applies to my visit. I don't have the family, am not buying tickets, so it doesn't fit. I didn't post in the "do you go to the Fort and not do the Parks" thread because I'm hear for a participation event. So I do have a purpose for coming now.

It's 945pm and the Electric Water Parade can be heard from inside my trailer with the A/C running. That music so reminds me of the Main Street Electrical Parade (I'm showing my age).

Stay tuned for tomorrow.

Bama Ed
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
tiggerdad
DIS Veteran

Ed, why didn't you call? I know I got school, but I coulda brought the books! Sorry for the guy and the damaged camper, but I have been 'that guy' at the Fort before. Oh well, have a blast and keep the pics coming.
tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
storyteller
Driving not flying, It's hard to read the street signs from that far up!

I'm here too... and will be there soon too...
Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 AM   #20
bama_ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Brewer View Post
I'll be watching for that TR bet your happy to be in the World with what's coming through state today**Enjoy
I saw that CB. My DS was getting loaded up on his charter bus last night too but the weather had already passed through when it was call time. But everyone in Alabama is a little gun-shy when it comes to storms based on the events of the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articfox676 View Post
Love your trip report. I feel like I am right there with you.

Thank you and keep it coming.
Happy to have you along articfox676. My last two TRs have been live ones and the thing I enjoy is the comments, questions, and interactions with you folks. Soon I'll be sitting at home watching someone's TR in whatever form (pre, post, live) so it's my turn to step up, take one for the team, and then pass the baton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
some Southern Red wine from the Lake ridge Winery
. . . love their wines
. . . reasonably priced and it goes down so easily
. . . and, just a little bit down the road from our house

the prettiest golf cart I have ever seen
. . . was it the prettiest cart?
. . . or was it the prettiest logo?

Well, you know how it ends
. . . with Brits, things ALWAYS end with a pint
. . . or two
. . . or three
. . . wait a minute
. . . same with us Irish-Hungarians (especially Borsodi Bivaly, Borsodi Póló)
. . . and, Guinness for the other half of me
Scupper, it was the logo after all, you Big 10 guys can't be fooled. And hey, if you have some Hungarian in you, I've got some Slovak in me. We could be related. Brother, can you spare a dime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goofycampers View Post
I'm in, you already knew that.
Thanks Denise. I saved you a seat in the front row. Tell Frank Dad brought his fishing poles. We'll see what kind of fisherman he is. He is following your days/best times on the Bay Lake Fishing thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Fan Katt View Post
I'm in... awaiting more and living vicariously through you.

My husband always complains about how long it takes to heat up charcoal to cook, doing it all at once is a great idea. I think I will borrow that one from you.

Enjoy!
I dunno, Katt. Sounds like DH is trying to angle for some Disney Dining table service if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDAD View Post
Hope you are having a good time. It sure looks like it. Still cold out here and waiting to pick up our new pup.

Kevin
Kevin, if I haven't said it yet, CONGRATULATIONS on the new pup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerdad View Post
Ed, why didn't you call? I know I got school, but I coulda brought the books! Sorry for the guy and the damaged camper, but I have been 'that guy' at the Fort before. Oh well, have a blast and keep the pics coming.
Tiggerdad, you know my motto. Grades come first. You can party later. But hold your textbook up to the computer and let me see what you are studying...

The footbone is connected to the legbone...

The legbone is connected to the kneebone...

The kneebone is connected to the thighbone...

Okay that's good. I'm ready for my final exam now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
I'm here too... and will be there soon too...
I'll be looking for ya storyteller.

Bama Ed
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
Old 04-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #21
FloridaTeacher
Now I'm a Guidance Counselor

I so love the sounds of the Fort too...especially first thing in the morning!! I soooo have Disney fever now.

The hubbie and I are heading to Disney for our anniversary in June, but we're staying at Shades of Green. I gotta feeling we'll be visiting the Fort often though.

You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?... Welcome to the Caribbean, Love. (ie. Elizabeth Swan & Captain Jack Sparrow)
FloridaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #22
Crystal Brewer
Mouseketeer

LOVE the golf cart Steaks musta been good :-) Oversize Jenga gotta find a set for home!! RTR
Crystal Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #23
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed View Post

Its beautiful and warm today.
Sure, rub it in to us up north......24 degrees and snow today
The golf cart would have looked a lot better with a Big Red N on it.
Best place we found at Universal was Margaritaville..
I know what you mean by wanting to watch your kid march at universal, we watched our DS march down Disney main street in '98, what a thrill.
Looks like my kind of Supper.
Love the trip report since we can not get back to fort until Dec 2014
Have fun.....
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #24
Gwen in Illinois
Earning My Ears

I always look for your posts. My family will be at the Fort for the first time in November and I already feel like I've been there through your descriptions and pictures.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

For those that don't bring golf carts to the marina, here is some inspiration. Doesn't this look like an active, fun family?
I have no idea why I never thought of scooters before. They fold up nice and small and 3 out of 4 of my kids already have one. Thanks for the pic/inspiration!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
bama_ed

Friday morning update April 12.

Well last night after I posted about hearing the EWP music a few minutes later was the "thump thurmp" of the MK fireworks and a colored glow in the sky each time a burst went off. I'm going to have to get down to the marina one night to watch both.

I have two strings of the Micki globe indoor/outdoor Christmas tacky lights on my pup awning. Here is a night shot with the tv glowing also:

This morning I was up in the darkness to do a morning jog/walk. I have mapped out 3 different 5k routes (two of which involve a boat ride back to the Fort) but this morning was the Fort Loop. Basically, you do a big figure 8 from the marina end along either side of the Meadow TP, up and around through the cabin loop, and then go through loops 1500 and 2000 to get the mileage correct. I use this tool to map/measure. It works great: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com

Two notes from my jog this morning. I used to be a runner and have done marathons (Disney 2004), halves (Disney 2002), and the rest. You know how in the dark you spot a point about 15 feet in front of you and focus on it for something that might trip you up. Well I'm doing that and an armadillo scampers in front of me across the road about 3 feet in front (barely in my field of vision) by the cabin pool. Scared me. His toenails and shell made a scraping clickety clacking sound as he went by.

Updates from last night's reconnoiter. 1500 was completely full last night and 2000 had 21 sites filled out of 69. 18 of the 21 were up by the entrance to the loop or that front CS. Three brave souls were WAY in the back near the back CS. Lots of empty sites in between.

The dark morning is not quiet though. Going past the 2100/1100 Comfort Station is a bat house that sounded all squeaky inside. Someone was OBVIOUSLY having a party in there. Must have been karoke night. Here is the bat house in the daylight:

A little construction work is taking place between the Bike Barn and the Meadow Pool. They are paving some more sidewalk and building a curb. Here is a picture from the bridge going to the TP and then a peek inside the fence.

Speaking of sidewalk, I did revisit some favorites on this trip. Somewhere in the Fort is a patch of sidewalk with the initials ED in it. I have no idea how it got there. But I post a picture of it every trip as an homage.

Later I'll post lots of pix from the HDDR open rehearsal I attended this morning at 8am. I have a bit of a walkabout planned also for today. The weather is a somewhat blustery and cloudy. Today is the best day for a chance of some real rain but it's warm so that makes it okay.

Bama Ed

Last edited by bama_ed; 04-12-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
FLBBQMAN
Earning My Ears

Sounds like your having a blast Ed I'm like everyone else in here and can't wait to get back to the fort. We are going for a quick weekend in july. Looking forward to hearing about the HDDR and keep the great pics coming.
FLBBQMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #28
smile5sunshine
Think of the happiest thing, it's the same as having wings!

Thank you!

I lurk FAR more than I post, but I wanted to say that I'm following along and a huge THANK YOU for doing this TR. It is nothing short of wonderful to be able to at least experience the fort vicariously through you since we won't be able to head down for quite some time.

Can't wait for your next updates and keep it up!

Sunshine
smile5sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #29
thegoofyfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I heard the "thump-thump" of the Illuminations fireworks from Epcot right after 9pm too. I love the sounds of the Fort. The boat whistles, the bus brakes, the fireworks sounds.
You just nailed it. Us too. We just bought a "Disney approved" firepit before our last visit over Spring Break. Sitting around the fire and hearing the "Fort sounds" are our favorite.

DD14 Ashley DD12 Hannah DS4 Kaihan (or OOPS)

We've been to the Fort countless times over the last 14+ years and it's the only place we want to be!
thegoofyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #30
bama_ed

After a quick breakfast this morning it was over to Pioneer Hall to see the HDDR open rehearsal.

After speaking with some CMs from the Entertainment group (the suits with name tags) I found that there were two full teams of HDDR who were learning the show to be "fill-in" or "back up" characters. There's not too much turnover in the lead casts (who sign one year contracts to keep/do their roles). So all six characters were new to the roles but they are CMs here on property somewhere. They had rehearsed together for three weeks and this was their first time to do it in front of real folks on the Pioneer Hall stage.

The audience was few in number for this 8 am show. The rehearsals had been advertised to CMs to view as well if they were off duty so there were about 45-50 of us with slightly more than half being CMs. No food was served but there were a few breaks, the longest of which was 5 minutes for the audio tech guys to get set up for the next scene.

So here is what Pioneer Hall looks like inside. It felt....intimate.

Professor Tommy on the piano and Smilin' Jack on the banjo said doing this at 8 am felt like working the graveyard shift in Vegas. But they were tip top today.

This was the first time for me to hear the new show since the trademark/rights dispute. This new show was good but I had really loved the old show and songs. It's hard for me to be unbiased. But the performers really sold it and played their parts over the top which is what HDDR requires. Here are some show pix:

These two guys win a prize for planning ahead. I said no food was served but we were allowed to bring in food/drink as long as we cleaned up after ourselves. So these guys brought a 10-piece KFC chicken bucket with all the sides (mash spuds, gravy, biscuits, IBC root beer) as well as strawberry shortcake and a can of Readi-whip. Oh, and empty mason jars to drink out of. They're winners in my book.

A tender moment between Flora and Jim (with Smilin' Jack providing mood music).

The Davy Crockett song with Johnny Ringo in the lead with Six Bits in the bear costume. Expect lots of bad "bear" puns.

Volunteers were selected from the audience of course and got certificates for helping out.

A final bow then they were out the door...

It took about 80 minutes to go through. They still did a birthday/anniversary song, what state are you from song, etc but most of the music was new to me. But since there were so few of us, we all received a lot of attention from Johnny, Claire, Six Bits, Dolly, Flora, and Jim.

The 10am show was supposed to be the second set of players and the 1215pm show was supposed to be my 8am group again. So it was neat but I think I will pass on a show business career.

Bama Ed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: