Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Who has been to Walt Disney Family Museum?

I know I shouldn't be posting here...
but I wanted to get some advice from the posters here before it got moved. This board is much more active.
Anyway, We are going to San Francisco for an overnight trip this weekend. We should arrive in the city at noon, and plan on going to the Walt Disney Family Museum.
Have any fellow DISers been there before?
Do you have any advice?
Do you think DD would like it (she is almost 5)?

We booked a room at the Fisherman's Wharf Hilton on points and are going to our favorite SF restaurant since we are close to North Beach...The Stinking Rose. On Sunday, we are going to the California Academy of Sciences. DD loves that place.
We are going to have a fun weekend...but I can't wait for the following weekend when we drive down for our DL trip.

Thanks for reading!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Elk Grove Chris
DIS Veteran

Yes, she would have a good time. I think it is geared for the adults more, but my kids enjoyed it (they are a bit older though). It will definitely get her excited for your DL trip.

If you have not been to the Academy before, check the times for the planetarium shows and you might want to go in the big bioshpere as early as possible. Try the Vietnamese shrimp rolls in the cafeteria with peanut sauce, yum (it gets packed-try to eat off prime time).
Elk Grove Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

We're going in May, for the first time--can't wait!! I'm also interested in everyone's replies and tips!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

We went when we were in San Fran in September. I don't have any kids, but I would think they might get bored. It's a pretty big museum, we spent about 4 hours there and that didn't include seeing a movie in the theater. There are animation clips and Mickeys everywhere, but the focus is much more on his life, not the theme parks. The animation clips are there to demonstrate the new filming methods he came up with or the political sentiment of the particular time period, etc. I loved it, I just don't know how much of that a 5 year old would be interested in or understand. Then again, maybe she will just take ir for what she can understand and enjoy all the old pictures and cartoons.

We went to the Stinking Rose too. Loved it!!

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Girimama33

Thank you for the replies.
We love the Stinking Rose and always go there when we are in SF...creatures of habit I guess. Must have the Bagna Calda....mmmmmmmm.

We have been to the CAS before. Didn't get into the Planetarium. I don't think DD was old enough. I don't know if we will try the cafe again. We ate there last time, and found it so expensive...but yummy. DH talked about packing in food this time.

I hear there are a lot of interactive exhibits. She loves that kind of stuff. Maybe this will be a good time to go and get an idea of the place. Then, maybe I can take a solo trip by myself to take it all in.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
tinkcollector
DIS Veteran

I went with a group of ladies. On the average it took us 6 hours to complete the museum. I don't think a child of 4+ would have much to do there. There is so much history to read. We all enjoyed it soooo much.

I have had the extreme pleasure of dining at Club 33 x 9 (Sept./2014)
Attended A Private Tour of Walt's Apt. 08/07/12
Candlelight Ceremony Second Row Center 2012
Walt Disney Studio Tour X 2 (2011 & 2012)
"Be Our Guest" Dinner, 2014 sat with Floyd Norman
tinkcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Do you have to book your "visit" ahead of time? I was looking into it a few months ago and it seemed like you had to schedule your visit.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
ttig34
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
Do you have to book your "visit" ahead of time? I was looking into it a few months ago and it seemed like you had to schedule your visit.
No, no need to book ahead, unless perhaps there is a special event. Went a couple of weeks ago and went right up and bought our tix at the counter at that time.
ttig34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Girimama33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
The exhibits (separate ticket) may be pre-booked for a particular date/time. They can also be purchased at the window the day of as well.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttig34 View Post
No, no need to book ahead, unless perhaps there is a special event. Went a couple of weeks ago and went right up and bought our tix at the counter at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girimama33 View Post
The exhibits (separate ticket) may be pre-booked for a particular date/time. They can also be purchased at the window the day of as well.
Thanks. I just thought it was weird that online I had to choose a day of visit.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Congo Queen
DLand Devotee Since 1966

It's a great museum for Disney fans. The exhibits are very engaging but it really isn't a childrens' museum per se. I especially love the scale model of Disneyland that is in the lower gallery. It's kinetic and goes into night-time mode from time to time with lights coming up on Main Street etc. I always linger over that model. But I even love the attractions posters they have hung outside the hall on the way to the restrooms. Those posters are so nostalgic for me.
Congo Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

hmmmm I think I know.... I hope you have a great time!! Let me know how it is, I'm considering going next month for my birthday, I also want to go to Alcatraz, 20+ years this close to SF and I've never been there either.......

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #13
mysteriouspnai
DIS Veteran

I went with DBF a year and a half ago, and we loved it! I believe we spent four hours in there, but they were closing so we had to rush the last bit. I also think it's geared towards older kids/adults, as there's a lot of reading, and very little interactive exhibits besides picking up a phone to hear someone speak and a few touchscreen things. I would do a solo trip beforehand just in case . The museum is definitely more about Walt's life and less about Disneyland. Have a wonderful trip though!
mysteriouspnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
mmmears
DIS Veteran

My family went soon after it was opened. It's a really beautiful museum, full of interactive exhibits. You can go through it quickly, or really linger and learn a lot about Walt Disney. My DD was older, and did like it, but it's not really geared for little kids. Still, it's a great place!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
Girimama33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
hmmmm I think I know.... I hope you have a great time!! Let me know how it is, I'm considering going next month for my birthday, I also want to go to Alcatraz, 20+ years this close to SF and I've never been there either.......
Kerri,
Make sure you pre-purchase Alcatraz tickets at least 2 weeks beforehand. They never have any ferrys available the day of. Sounds like a fun way to celebrate your birthday!

I am so torn...I think we are going to go for it. DH can hopefully keep DD occupied in areas she likes while I check out the rest. I really want to see the SW exhibit before it goes away...This is the last weekend for it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: