DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberrybush View Post
I have done a TON of reading on here this week and have learned that the most valuable lesson for me before joining DVC is just this:
Learn to love it, limit complaints to true "needs", and enjoy something that will enrich my family for years. This seems to be true from use year to mousekeeping to room assignments.
Actually, if you haven't bought yet, the best thing you can get out of all your new knowledge is an informed decision about whether you want to buy in at all. Personally, I would not buy and then hope I could learn to love it. That sounds a little like marrying someone with the expectation that you'll be able to change them into someone you like better... DVC doesn't make sense for most people, and the good news is, there are a zillion other ways to enjoy a Disney vacation without belonging to DVC. Its great that you have learned so much before buying, because now you'll know what you are getting yourself into and whether it is really what you want or not. Finding this out after the fact probably explains at least a portion of the number of contracts on the resale market...
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
mulberrybush
Mouseketeer

I can get "used" to the use year. These cleanliness and disrepair issues may be enough for me to exercise my 10day rights....I'm pretty OCD and reading that dvc rooms are dirty (so deal with it) bc they don't treat us as we'll as cash customers has me nauseous.
mulberrybush is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93

DVC doesn't make sense for most people, and the good news is, there are a zillion other ways to enjoy a Disney vacation without belonging to DVC.
Can you list them?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
staceymay00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberrybush View Post
I can get "used" to the use year. These cleanliness and disrepair issues may be enough for me to exercise my 10day rights....I'm pretty OCD and reading that dvc rooms are dirty (so deal with it) bc they don't treat us as we'll as cash customers has me nauseous.
I have personally not noticed a difference between the cleanliness of DVC and non-DVC rooms. We have stayed in both since buying DVC a few years ago, plus several non-DVC stays before then. I am not OCD about it, but I do expect a clean room in decent shape. I have always been satisfied with our accommodations at WDW, although every room/villa was not perfect. We recently spent a couple of nights at the CR Club Level, and that room was not perfectly clean, either. I do think that the DVC rooms may go longer between upgrades and refurbishments, but I don't mind that so much since my dues need to increase for that to change.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
staceymay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceymay00

I have personally not noticed a difference between the cleanliness of DVC and non-DVC rooms. We have stayed in both since buying DVC a few years ago, plus several non-DVC stays before then. I am not OCD about it, but I do expect a clean room in decent shape. I have always been satisfied with our accommodations at WDW, although every room/villa was not perfect. We recently spent a couple of nights at the CR Club Level, and that room was not perfectly clean, either. I do think that the DVC rooms may go longer between upgrades and refurbishments, but I don't mind that so much since my dues need to increase for that to change.

I have to say that I am currently staying in a 1 BR at BLT and it is nowhere near the quality of the rooms at any of the Marriott Vacation Club properties I have stayed at. Cracked tiles, loose fixtures, torn fabric, stained couch cushions, and a non functioning jacuzzi tub. All this in a room that's what, three years old? It's still a nice room and all, but it is showing its wear at an alarming rate. While not at the level where I would complain, as an owner I am not going to expose myself to more risk by purchasing any more than the 100 points I currently own.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #21
disneymath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post

I have to say that I am currently staying in a 1 BR at BLT and it is nowhere near the quality of the rooms at any of the Marriott Vacation Club properties I have stayed at. Cracked tiles, loose fixtures, torn fabric, stained couch cushions, and a non functioning jacuzzi tub. All this in a room that's what, three years old? It's still a nice room and all, but it is showing its wear at an alarming rate. While not at the level where I would complain, as an owner I am not going to expose myself to more risk by purchasing any more than the 100 points I currently own.
Please do report the issues in your villa while you're there ... If problems are reported and taken care of there is less chance they will develop into bigger issues. Non-functioning jets on a Jacuzzi tub might not get noticed by housekeeping or subsequent guests that don't use the tub.

disneymath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #22
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymath

Please do report the issues in your villa while you're there ... If problems are reported and taken care of there is less chance they will develop into bigger issues. Non-functioning jets on a Jacuzzi tub might not get noticed by housekeeping or subsequent guests that don't use the tub.
Perhaps I misspoke. I reported the tub issue, but what I meant was that none of these issues led me to complain about the room, they were just noticeable.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #23
staceymay00
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That is disappointing to hear about BLT, it seems to be a common complaint. We have not stayed there yet. I should have noted that our only DVC stays have been at OKW, plus we just got back from a few nights at AKV Kidani. I thought our AKV 2BR was in great condition and Kidani is about the same age as BLT, right? It was nicer than the OKW 2BR villas (our home resort - we really like OKW, but it is 20 years old and it does show a bit in some areas, even after the refurb). We have stayed at several deluxe non-DVC resorts at WDW and we've noticed imperfections in all of those rooms, though nothing big enough to complain about. We have always been well aware that we are paying for location, and for the same money we could get nicer accommodations off site. We don't own other timeshares so I can't compare to Marriott, Hilton, etc.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #24
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We have certainly never had a dirty room. In fact at Kidani we found the rooms spotless and were impressed with the attention to detail. bLT we found everything perfectly clean nothing was dirty. There was a bit more wear and tear certainly and a bit less attention to detail but nothing significant enough to complain. We loved our 2 bedroom lake view at BLT.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceymay00 View Post
That is disappointing to hear about BLT, it seems to be a common complaint. We have not stayed there yet. I should have noted that our only DVC stays have been at OKW, plus we just got back from a few nights at AKV Kidani. I thought our AKV 2BR was in great condition and Kidani is about the same age as BLT, right? It was nicer than the OKW 2BR villas (our home resort - we really like OKW, but it is 20 years old and it does show a bit in some areas, even after the refurb). We have stayed at several deluxe non-DVC resorts at WDW and we've noticed imperfections in all of those rooms, though nothing big enough to complain about. We have always been well aware that we are paying for location, and for the same money we could get nicer accommodations off site. We don't own other timeshares so I can't compare to Marriott, Hilton, etc.

We own other timeshares and have stayed at or visited a number of other locations in Orlando and feel that a number are as nice or nicer than DVC ignoring theming and location which I know is hard to do. I'd point out it's difficult to make judgements along this lines from direct experience because the rooms will vary. One could go several times a year and even over a few years you wouldn't have enough info to truly generalize. However, when you get a forum such as this, it's a little easier to gather enough info to make some judgements.

To me the issue is the refurbishment schedule. Marriott was mentioned so I'll use them as a specific example. Their model is a soft refurbishment every 5 years combined with a hard refurbishment every 10 years. Poor timeshares generally run a 7/14 year cycle or similar. Eagle's nest on Marco Island does a hard refurbishment every 6 years from what I am told but they charge it directly to the owners at the time without building up reserves for it. By the 5/10 year plan OKW should have had 2 soft refurbishments and 2 full hard refurbishments across the entire resort and we're at what, 1 hard refurbishment at over 22 years out on the first buildings. Put another way, to match the competition they'd have to be doing about a fifth of the resort every year for one or the other.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #26
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
we didn't think the marriot near seaworld, where DB stays, was perfect either. aside from the little things that needed repair/maint around the resort itself (pitted stairs, garbage in stairwells, etc), the villa also had a soiled couch, pieces missing from the wicker, dusty fans, loose cabinet doors, etc.

considering the marriot was obviously pretty empty (we saw no more than 4 ppl in our few hours there - while at the BWVs there were many, many more -laughing and enjoying themselves), i would think the rooms would be perfect
bottom line is that we would still buy DVC. give us waking up to SSE beyond a sparking crescent lake, having a glass of wine while watching illuminations burst over the eiffel tower versus waking up to thick trees and streets, strolling to EPCOT/DHS on a whim versus leaving a large, but basic hotel room, walking down pitted concrete stairs to a parking lot in the middle of nowhere.
to us, a DVC resort is a vacation, and it makes us more than happy. the marriot was like many of the hotels i've stayed at throughout my life: a place to sleep, just so one could visit the fun and enjoyment elsewhere.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #27
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
By the 5/10 year plan OKW should have had 2 soft refurbishments and 2 full hard refurbishments across the entire resort and we're at what, 1 hard refurbishment at over 22 years out on the first buildings. Put another way, to match the competition they'd have to be doing about a fifth of the resort every year for one or the other.
ouch - and some of the "hard refurb" was painting over old furniture?

i want them to take care of my OKW...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #28
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
If your purchase was more than a couple of weeks ago, learn to love your UY. It's not that big of a deal -- just something to be aware of and to manage. Maybe...or maybe you just misunderstand what they are telling you.
That's my way of thinking, not a big deal! And I'm not one with the attidude of, "I'm the buyer and I should get what I want, fno matter the reason, sometimes that's just not possible! That's when you have to decide if what you want is of such important to you, that you need to back out of the deal or if you don't you'll have sour grapes over it the rest of your ownership period!! Only you can decide that! For me UY isn't that important, for you obviously so!

DVC ownerships works for me, I've never had a dirty room, I'm content with my DVC maint fees and the schedule of refurbishements! I've owned for 12+ years, and I've had constant enjoyment from my DVC, savings not so much but good times a plenty!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV

Last edited by BEASLYBOO; 04-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
staceymay00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
To me the issue is the refurbishment schedule. Marriott was mentioned so I'll use them as a specific example. Their model is a soft refurbishment every 5 years combined with a hard refurbishment every 10 years. Poor timeshares generally run a 7/14 year cycle or similar. Eagle's nest on Marco Island does a hard refurbishment every 6 years from what I am told but they charge it directly to the owners at the time without building up reserves for it. By the 5/10 year plan OKW should have had 2 soft refurbishments and 2 full hard refurbishments across the entire resort and we're at what, 1 hard refurbishment at over 22 years out on the first buildings. Put another way, to match the competition they'd have to be doing about a fifth of the resort every year for one or the other.
Just curious, are Marriott and other timeshares that refurbish more frequently more expensive to own than DVC? If not, where are the DVC dues going instead?

Our situation is that we prefer to stay on site when visiting WDW. We also prefer to have more space than a standard hotel room offers, so DVC made sense. We bought resale and did not finance in order to reduce our upfront costs, and so far I am satisfied with what we are getting for money. Maybe I will not feel that way in 10 years when our home resort needs a refurbishment and isn't scheduled to get one for another 5-10 years.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
ouch - and some of the "hard refurb" was painting over old furniture?

i want them to take care of my OKW...
So only another 20 years or so until we can hope to get some carpeting back into the rooms at OKW?
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: