Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
enzati
Earning My Ears

Checking in ahead of time...your thoughts?

I was just looking at another thread where someone mentioned that they checked in before getting there and for awful rooms. I requested a room as close to food court as possible at POR because I have MS. should I check in ahead or wait until I get there? Thanks! Jaime
enzati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
trekker93
DIS Veteran

Smile Check in on line first.

I always do this. then when I get there and find out the room when I pick up the package at the lobby, if I don't like the room assigned I tell them to change it. That way you are covered both ways! It is easy to change the room as long as it is not ridiculously crowded.

1978(offsite),1984offsite,1990(DixieLandings),2004 ,2005,2006-off site,2007(POP),2008(POP),2009(POP),2010(Sept)-Pop Century,2011Sept.POPCentury,All Star Music - July 2012, Sept2012 POP, May 2013-POP,Sept2013 - POP
Next TRIP:POP Century - Sept.2014
trekker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzati View Post
I was just looking at another thread where someone mentioned that they checked in before getting there and for awful rooms. I requested a room as close to food court as possible at POR because I have MS. should I check in ahead or wait until I get there? Thanks! Jaime
Did you pay for a preferred room location? That will get you in the buildings closest to the food court.

As far as using On Line Check In goes, I'm not a huge fan. It has never gained me anything, as I have never checked in when there has been a huge line anyway. And I've even ended up downgraded one time. If room location is so important that you would need it changed if you didn't get a location you liked, I wouldn't do it. It would put you further behind as they would have to void the room keys they have ready and waiting, and issue new ones. Basically start all over again.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker93 View Post
I always do this. then when I get there and find out the room when I pick up the package at the lobby, if I don't like the room assigned I tell them to change it. That way you are covered both ways! It is easy to change the room as long as it is not ridiculously crowded.
This is exactly what you are NOT supposed to do.
On line checkin is designed for folks who will just pick up their prepared packet and be good. If you need to engage the CM in a search for a different room, you should wait and check in when you arrive. Doing what PP did slows down the On Line Check in line for everyone else, and is not fair to them.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
On line checkin is designed for folks who will just pick up their prepared packet and be good. If you need to engage the CM in a search for a different room, you should wait and check in when you arrive. Doing what PP did slows down the On Line Check in line for everyone else, and is not fair to them.
This! If you've paid for a preferred location it would be safe to do online check in.
If you haven't, and there is a chance you'll request a room change, then don't do online check in. Online check in is pre made packets and room keys, you just pick up and go. No changes. Will they? Yes, but it is unfair to the people behind you I agree.

Adding your request and the reason why you need a good location on to your resort res. is good, and I would also send POR a fax, to room assignor restating your request, and reason why, about 4 days before check in
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 Poly
Sue M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M

This! If you've paid for a preferred location it would be safe to do online check in.
If you haven't, and there is a chance you'll request a room change, then don't do online check in. Online check in is pre made packets and room keys, you just pick up and go. No changes. Will they? Yes, but it is unfair to the people behind you I agree.

Adding your request and the reason why you need a good location on to your resort res. is good, and I would also send POR a fax, to room assignor restating your request, and reason why, about 4 days before check in
Disney doesn't accept fax requests anymore.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
I agree. I just checked in for Memorial Day weekend and clicked on the two room requests which aren't necessary and I really don't care what I got. I also said I'd rather my room be ready when we get there (before noon). When I arrive, I should be able to just go up to the counter, get my packet and leave. I really don't want to wait behind someone who is insisting on the perfect room. If you want that, use the other regular line.

I had four rooms on one trip and one of those HAD to be on the first floor. I did NOT use on line check in at all. I waited (and it was a long wait) for the regular line because I had a specific need/want.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
alex9179
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
Disney doesn't accept fax requests anymore.
This hasn't been true for POR, as noted in the FAQ thread. Requests aren't guaranteed, of course, but those who have been faxing have had good luck so far.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: