Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reservations
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Andrea817
Mouseketeer

Ohana without ADR

My DH and I (Florida residents) just decided to head back up to the world for memorial weekend to get our last Disney fix in before our seasonal passes black out for the summer. I immediately went online and tried to reserve a dinner at Ohana, with no such luck This would be our first time dining there, and we were really looking forward too it. I tried every time possible for 5/25 with no such luck. Are you able to just go to the restaurant and wait/hope for a table or is it strictly by reservation only? It will be just the two of us, so I'm hoping it isn't that difficult to get a table. IF you can walk in, what time is recommend to do so that would give us more of a shot? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Andrea817; 04-10-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Andrea817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
shoney
DIS Veteran

when we ate there we had a 5pm adr. We got there a little after 4 to have a drink at the bar. they were setting up ropes by the checkin. by 4:30 people were lining up to wait stand by.

I don't know how many were actually seated.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Anthony1971
DIS Veteran

You can be turned away there are who people make ADR's and do not show!!! but in general the later the better as most want to eat between 5-6.
there was a time not that long ago when you could walk up anytime and be seated.
If they say no eat at Kona the food is far better but it is not all you can eat.
Anthony1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea817 View Post
My DH and I (Florida residents) just decided to head back up to the world for memorial weekend to get our last Disney fix in before our seasonal passes black out for the summer. I immediately went online and tried to reserve a dinner at Ohana, with no such luck This would be our first time dining there, and we were really looking forward too it. I tried every time possible for 5/25 with no such luck. Are you able to just go to the restaurant and wait/hope for a table or is it strictly by reservation only? It will be just the two of us, so I'm hoping it isn't that difficult to get a table. IF you can walk in, what time is recommend to do so that would give us more of a shot? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Ohana is very popular and usually books up pretty quickly. The chance of getting seated as a walk up is probably slim, but it wouldn't hurt to try. I would try every day multiple times a day to get an ADR. Also, a good time to try for a last minute cancellation is the day before as Ohana is a cc guarantee, so anyone deciding not to go will have to cancel 24 hours ahead of time to avoid being charged the $10/pp no show fee. If nothing becomes available, I would show up a little bit before they open and ask about getting a table. Have a back up plan in case this doesn't pan out because if they are booked for the night with ADRs, there's not much chance (if any) they will be able to seat you. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Yes, it's possible to walk in, apparently more so if you arrive early, but don't count on it...be sure you have an alternate plan in case they can't seat you or they give you a wait time you don't want to accept. There's reports of possible wait times up to 2 hours. Apparently the lines begin forming quite a bit before 5 PM, so get there really early.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I would just call and call and call for reservations rather than wait. People always frop out last moment. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Andrea817
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the responses! Our second choice is Boma, but we really really would love Ohana. Is Boma also a CC hold when making ADR? Would you suggest getting an ADR for Boma and then going there if we cannot get into Ohana? I do not want to miss both options by not booking Boma as a back up plan If Boma charges a fee for less than 24hr notice of cancellation than clearly this option won't work, but we have never been there so I'm not sure if that's the case or not.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Boma does not have a CC hold requirement.

You'd have to consider how long it would take you to get from 'Ohana to Boma. If you don't have a car and aren't inclined to take a taxi I don't know what time you'd make the Boma reservation for. If you're going to take Disney transportation it should be at least an hour and a half after you plan to try 'Ohana.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
keliblue
It's kinda like a constant bad hair day

Boma is not a cc hold and much easier to get in..still, I would make a ressie

keliblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Andrea817
Mouseketeer

The latest I could get was Boma at 7:35pm. I plan to check online and call often about Ohana up until our trip in hopes for a cancellation! We do have a car as we are only a few hours south so we drive up, so if no reservation luck we still should be able to swing by the Poly at opening just to check if it's even a possibility.

Thank you so much for all the great help!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

Keep checking for an ADR, too. I was able to book Ohana a week before for our last trip after trying for months ahead of time.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Boma does not have a CC hold requirement.

You'd have to consider how long it would take you to get from 'Ohana to Boma. If you don't have a car and aren't inclined to take a taxi I don't know what time you'd make the Boma reservation for. If you're going to take Disney transportation it should be at least an hour and a half after you plan to try 'Ohana.
Nala brings up a good point here: At WDW it's not like it's too busy at Wendy's so you walk across the street to Taco Bell. It can be a trek from point A to point B.
When people(especially families) are hot, tired, and hungry, an hour or two delay for a meal can be a trying experience. ADRs can be cancelled, and in most cases there's no penalty. If you're going for a walkup, I'd have a cancellable/convenient plan B in place.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

When we were there in November, the line for people hoping for a walk-in started at 4:30, the minute they put out the "ropes." By the time we went in some time after 5, there were 10 or more parties waiting in that line. I have no idea how many of them got in, but when we were leaving around 6:00, there was definitely still a line.

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
Andrea817
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micca View Post

Nala brings up a good point here: At WDW it's not like it's too busy at Wendy's so you walk across the street to Taco Bell. It can be a trek from point A to point B.
When people(especially families) are hot, tired, and hungry, an hour or two delay for a meal can be a trying experience. ADRs can be cancelled, and in most cases there's no penalty. If you're going for a walkup, I'd have a cancellable/convenient plan B in place.
Thank you we booked Boma for 7:35pm. I more than likely wont do a walk up, I plan to check the website daily or multiple times daily up until the day of and if no reservation is found than I guess it just wasn't meant to be this time. We can always go next time
Old 04-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Boma is a great choice! Enjoy
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: