Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #91
operationremie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
I'm registered for Donald. Really need to make myself run more or I'm not going to be ready but motivation is hard lately for some reason!

I'm running to celebrate my 5 year cancerversary so I have to make it, lol.
congrats on the anniversary! :D you'll get plenty of motivation here if you need it

My Training Blog: http://ageekintraining.blogspot.com/
Total Miles in 2013: 235.84
2013 Races: 5/13 - Pineapple 5K (Greenwich, CT), 6/23 - Bluff Point Trail Run (Groton, CT), 7/14 - 5K Foam Fest (Haverhill, MA), 7/20 - Run or Dye 5K (Hartford, CT), 9/15 - Surftown 13.1 (Westerly, RI), 9/28 - Color Me Rad 5K (Providence, RI), 10/12 - Hartford Half Marathon (Hartford, CT)

operationremie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #92
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I booked my DVC room today from the 8th to the 11th. Weird to have checkout on Half day but I will have my aunt there with my son so getting stuff out of the room shouldn't be a problem. And it emptied out all our available points so there wasn't much choice for staying at DVC longer Excited!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #93
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I booked my DVC room today from the 8th to the 11th. Weird to have checkout on Half day but I will have my aunt there with my son so getting stuff out of the room shouldn't be a problem. And it emptied out all our available points so there wasn't much choice for staying at DVC longer Excited!
If you don't mind me asking.... was there much available? We are just about to close on our DVC purchase and I am anxious to see what we will be able to book once we do. The marathon weekend trip will be the first trip on points. I know what points are needed at various levels... just not what will actually be available. For the ToT weekend, I read that someone said all DVC resorts were full....so I gave up hope of using points for that trip.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #94
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

All I was able to get was SSR. Now, I'll mention that I was booking a studio, and I think they kept giving me availability in 1 bedrooms, but I didn't pay attention to if it was useful or if it was one day available, next day not, etc.

I really wanted OKW, but nope. So we'll rock the SSR studio. Let's all hope my aunt is free to come out for a night, so that I don't have to hire sitters to hang out in the room with DS after I get up before dawn, LOL.

The TOT thing might be true, but we got a great rundisney rate at POR so we're happy with that for October. We bought in '09 and have been in a constant state of borrowing, so the fact that the points we have will be 2015 points isn't a surprise. Could use them starting next February, but that doesn't help with the Marathon weekend, of course.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #95
belias21
DIS Dad's Club Member #717

I too was surprised there was no OKW studio available. I own there but had to wait until the 7 month window so I could buy some one-time points.

Ended up at SSR as well. I've got BWV wait listed but probably won't happen.

belias21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #96
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Just came across this thread...I'm in for the 2014 Half! Just ran my first 10K on Sunday, official time is 1:01:51 but I'm going to run another in the fall and see if that time is better before I submit my proof of time for the half.

Also, last week, DD convinced me to do the Princess half with her in 2014, so I'll be running that 6 weeks after the Donald not sure how that will go but heres hoping

We are renting DVC points for January and were able to book an OKW studio for 4 nights. I booked back in March though so there was still availability there at that time.

Bumbershoot...are you flying home the day you check out? let me know how that goes...for the Princess, DD and I Are checking out and flying home the day of the half since that race is on a Sunday and I need to be back home in time for school on Monday. Its going to be a long day....
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #97
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

No I'm not flying that day. We have more trip after it, just not using points.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #98
belias21
DIS Dad's Club Member #717

Quote:
We bought in '09 and have been in a constant state of borrowing, so the fact that the points we have will be 2015 points isn't a surprise. Could use them starting next February, but that doesn't help with the Marathon weekend, of course.
Totally hear ya' on the borrowing thing. We bought a stripped contract last summer and have already gone on two short trips (sitting in a studio at HHI currently...) I actually had to buy some one-time points to book January and it won't be until next August that I can even think about borrowing again! As of right now we don't have any WDW trip besides marathon weekend planned for 2014 but we all know how quickly that can change.

belias21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #99
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belias21 View Post

Totally hear ya' on the borrowing thing. We bought a stripped contract last summer and have already gone on two short trips (sitting in a studio at HHI currently...) I actually had to buy some one-time points to book January and it won't be until next August that I can even think about borrowing again! As of right now we don't have any WDW trip besides marathon weekend planned for 2014 but we all know how quickly that can change.
I had to buy four one time points for the three days lol. Used 4 remaining points from 2013 uy, 31 leftover from 2014, and still needed those four. If only cheaper OKW had been available!

Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #100
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Well, that is such a bummer about the studios availability. I was thinking about a one bedroom though...so maybe it will work out. If not... waitlist? As I mentioned, this will be/would be our first trip using points.. and should we not be able to, I think my dh is going to feel as though I tricked him into buying something that we couldn't use.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #101
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Well, that is such a bummer about the studios availability. I was thinking about a one bedroom though...so maybe it will work out. If not... waitlist? As I mentioned, this will be/would be our first trip using points.. and should we not be able to, I think my dh is going to feel as though I tricked him into buying something that we couldn't use.

Well, anything can change. It's why they closed that availability thread on the DVC pages, because so much can change so fast. If the availability thread were still open I'd mention that right now, THIS moment, there's a one bedroom at OKW open from the 8-12th, but the thread is not open so I won't. If I could mention it though, maybe it would help calm you that anything can happen?

And I was toodling around in October and might have seen a 1 bedroom at SSR open over TOT weekend. At least right now, at this moment. I don't know if that's a host resort for TOT though.

But everything will have changed once you close and get it all worked out with member ID and all. So take nothing said here as an absolute. Though in general, the lower point rooms fill up fast (people trying to conserve points), so if you're brand new and have points to burn, you might have better luck than those of us who have used every thing already.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #102
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Well, anything can change. It's why they closed that availability thread on the DVC pages, because so much can change so fast. If the availability thread were still open I'd mention that right now, THIS moment, there's a one bedroom at OKW open from the 8-12th, but the thread is not open so I won't. If I could mention it though, maybe it would help calm you that anything can happen?

And I was toodling around in October and might have seen a 1 bedroom at SSR open over TOT weekend. At least right now, at this moment. I don't know if that's a host resort for TOT though.

But everything will have changed once you close and get it all worked out with member ID and all. So take nothing said here as an absolute. Though in general, the lower point rooms fill up fast (people trying to conserve points), so if you're brand new and have points to burn, you might have better luck than those of us who have used every thing already.
IF you were able share something like that I am sure that it would in fact put my mind at ease.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #103
baugus4
Earning My Ears

Body Glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssmith2711 View Post
hmmm - I will have to give more thought to the clothes eventually. We did get a dry wick sort of tank top the other day and so far I hate it - in order to get it not too big in the underarms, it's just snug everywhere else and I'm so used to loose clothing it bugs me. I suspect most running gear is made for slender folk? But, I'll give it another try another time.
I guess I'm just not running enough distance yet to have clothing issues - I like my cotton . Although I do get really hot - that's why I caved to try the sleeveless top instead of my standard t-shirt - didn't help that problem that I noticed.
We have talked about compression socks - DH and DD both now have them - so the compression shorts (or capris maybe? I don't do shorts.) sounds interesting.
No matter what type of clothing you wear, if, it is hot and humid and you are running for 30 minutes or more, Body Glide is something to try so the chaffing doesn't happen.
December 2010 - Beach Club
June 2010 - Beach Club
October 2008 - AKL
May 2007 - AKL
May 2005 - AKL
July 2003 - All Star Sports

June 2001-Downtown Disney
June 2000-Contemporary
June 1999 - Off site
June 1997 - Off site
June 1994 - Off site
?????
??????
???????
baugus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #104
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

I was able to get Thursday the 9th at Animal Kingdom in a Jambo house studio and then I booked the 10-13 in a Kidani Savanna view studio.

I think I'm going to fly in late Wednesday but I will probably just book an airport hotel or a value if I can get a discount (military maybe?).

I've started training finally. I opted for Jeff Galloway run-walk-run since I really just want to finish and my fitness level is not that great at all truthfully.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #105
lornak
DIS Veteran

Looking for advice on my first 10K!!

I just did a 6.2 mile long run---my longest so far, in preparation for my first 10K in two weeks. And now I am starting to freak out a little bit!! I would love to get some advice from those of you who have run this before!! I realize these are REALLY newbie questions but I could use some help!!! Specifically:
  • How much should I run over the next two weeks? Do you take a break for a few days before the race or should I run right up until race day?
  • There is a 5K run I could do one week prior to the 10K. Would that be good preparation or too much?
  • Is there a pacing strategy for the 10K? Is it best to run a steady pace or are there portions that I should try to run faster than others?
  • Any other tips to help calm me down??

As I have just revealed, I really don't know anything about racing. I hope I haven't gotten myself in over my head with the half marathon!!!
lornak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: