Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #376
mssmith2711
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
First, congrats to you! I'm in a similar boat, in that I had been doing well in training but have fallen behind. Well, I've done the long runs, but it's the in-between conditioning runs that I'm slacking in.

I'll be doing the 14 miles this weekend too.

Being swept happens if you end up behind the "balloon ladies". They are the last to start. They go at a 16 minute mile. So YES, being in an earlier corral gives you a cushion of time. If you went at 16 minutes/mile starting in an earlier corral you would never even see them.

The clocks you see at each mile started when the race started; it's not personalized for you unless you crossed the line at the very beginning.

I've read that you'll be talked to by the balloon ladies and by people on bikes, etc, if you are slowing down so much you're heading towards being swept. I've read that you will be encouraged to help out with any mental issues (hitting the wall, etc...I don't mean *issues* LOL) and also watched over to make sure you're not going to fall over or something. Unless you are beyond out of it, you won't be surprised to be swept; you'll know they are around you, from what I've read.

Please don't worry too much about this!
Thank you for talking me down! That sounds good. Unless something unexpected happens I should be ok. I think it's more the unknown than anything. I'm hoping that there will be so much going on that it will distract me from any difficulties on the mental side - especially if my phone battery dies before the end!
mssmith2711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #377
weatherboy80
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
I think it varies from runner to runner - I'm happiest in pretty new shoes - 50 miles or less. But I know plenty of people who want closer to 100 on them for a race. But it's also been my experience that shoes don't ever "break in" for me; either they're just right straight out if the box, or they're just plain wrong for me and will never be right.
Have you had a recent long run in the older shoes? How did your feet/legs/hips/back feel after? In comparison to how you feel after running in the new ones? That might help you decide.
Well, I actually ran a half-marathon (on my own) about 2 weeks ago in my old New Balance "zero" shoes which may have been the last time I actually used them! I was obviously a bit tired, but can't remember any aches or pain associated with them. I then switched over to the new New Balance "trail" (accidently) shoes shortly afterwards. It's wierd, the new "trail" shoes felt almost identical to the old ones in the store and the first few times I went out running. They both have the vibram soles so they should be similar, but I think the problem might be that the trail versions are slightly thicker and stiffer than the vibram zero's (which are minimal road shoes). I'm just nervous that something will crop up during the race in the old shoes as the back soles are quite worn. The "zero's are very thin to begin with and was curious what is really considering high mileage on a pair of shoes like that? Seems to be quite a variance from one person to the next!

I might try to do a long-run in the new shoes (with better socks) and then perhaps try both during my 2-week taper, but I'm leaning with going with the old more comfortable shoes at this point. Even after 320+ miles they fit like a glove ...

Last edited by weatherboy80; 12-27-2013 at 10:28 AM.
weatherboy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #378
monsterkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
The course is lit fairly well. While there may be some darkish patches here and there, I've never felt the need for my own light.
Thank you!
monsterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #379
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

14 miles DONE. With hills. And new smaller shoes. And compression calf sleeves (loved them even though I felt like I was trying to be Britney Spears since I was also trying out my running skirt). Done done done.

Shoes literally went from bad to good and back again and again, left good left bad right good right bad etc. no one to blame but me of course. Good news is that my toes hurt far less than in the too big shoes.

Nutrition and water plan worked. And it turns out that running in the morning is interesting! Going from the moon to sunrise to bright sun is neat. If only I had had better sleep but that was probably good practice for the 11th. (And 9 since DS and I are doing the 5k)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #380
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
14 miles DONE. With hills. And new smaller shoes. And compression calf sleeves (loved them even though I felt like I was trying to be Britney Spears since I was also trying out my running skirt). Done done done.

Shoes literally went from bad to good and back again and again, left good left bad right good right bad etc. no one to blame but me of course. Good news is that my toes hurt far less than in the too big shoes.

Nutrition and water plan worked. And it turns out that running in the morning is interesting! Going from the moon to sunrise to bright sun is neat. If only I had had better sleep but that was probably good practice for the 11th. (And 9 since DS and I are doing the 5k)
Good job!

And I might be into the Britney Speers look too! I have BRIGHT pink compression sleeves with matching pink skirt!
Lack of sleep is unavoidable...so much adrenalin pumping through everyone...its hard to sleep..the night before a race.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #381
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Okay, I am now READY! Went for 11 today and got it done; with no injuries at all. Yippee! It's all taper from here.

What isn't ready is a race outfit. GAH! A black Sparkle Athletic skirt will be waiting for me at the expo, but I haven't decided on a shirt to go with it. I'd like to pack, but I don't trust the forecast until a couple days out, so that'll have to wait.

On the eternal subject of shoes... I <3 the Brooks PureFlow2! I've been so happy with the original PureFlows, I was unsure of the newer ones, but nope, I like them even more. Yay! Too bad the neon pink color matches exactly none of my clothes, lol!
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #382
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
Good job!

And I might be into the Britney Speers look too! I have BRIGHT pink compression sleeves with matching pink skirt!
Lack of sleep is unavoidable...so much adrenalin pumping through everyone...its hard to sleep..the night before a race.

Today's wearing of the new running skirt (the Gym Girl, which is shorter than the Happy Girls I already had) showed me that I dislike it for the LONG run. It'll be great for the 5K, though. For the Half it'll be my Skirt Sports Redemption Shorts. Which is going to make the compression sleeves look even MORE interesting, if I decide to wear them. I tell ya, it's a hot combo. Shorts, compression sleeves, the hydration backpack...ooh yeah. Might as well put on a satin jacket and some rollerskates.

I noticed that CEP is a vendor at the Expo, and that's the brand of sleeves I got. So I might have to check them out to see if they have other colors, because the white is somewhat boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Okay, I am now READY! Went for 11 today and got it done; with no injuries at all. Yippee! It's all taper from here.
Woohoo!!!!!!!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 12-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #383
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

I have not worn my sparkly skirt or pink skirt in any practice...I have worn a tutu in a race before with no issues...I think if worse comes to absolute worse and I hate having it on (which I truly doubt but one never knows) I will toss it at the side of the road...

So I have my Cinderella dress to wear to the 5k, the Minnie mini for the 10k...either the Minnie mini again for the half or a sparkly green skirt for a Tink look and the full I will wear the patriotic getup.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #384
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
The course is lit fairly well. While there may be some darkish patches here and there, I've never felt the need for my own light.
I carry a tiny flashlight when I race. it's great for using the porta potties--I just clip it to my clothing.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #385
monsterkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
I carry a tiny flashlight when I race. it's great for using the porta potties--I just clip it to my clothing.
That is a great idea, thanks!
monsterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #386
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I didn't go any where near that far today, so I am super impressed! Now it is down to the "I hope I have trained enough" and hope for the best. Two weeks and the half will be behind us all.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #387
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
I have not worn my sparkly skirt or pink skirt in any practice...I have worn a tutu in a race before with no issues...I think if worse comes to absolute worse and I hate having it on (which I truly doubt but one never knows) I will toss it at the side of the road...

I'm a highly irritable runner, so it's good to know what works for me and what doesn't. I found that the running skirt caused a bit of chafing on ONE leg that I didn't even feel while running, so that was odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Two weeks and the half will be behind us all.
Aw, that's kind of sad! And happy.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:25 AM   #388
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Aw, that's kind of sad! And happy.
You are right, it kinda is sad! But yes... also happy!! Then I will be focussing on the next RD event that I hope to tackle.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #389
baugus4
Earning My Ears

Bib holder

Good Morning Marathoners
Less than 2 weeks now!!!
My daughter and I where planning on wearing a small pouch and bib holder combo by Fitletic. We read somewhere (can't remember where )
that Disney requires your bib to be attached at all four corners. Is this true?
We are first timers. Sorry for the dumb question but with the way the combo attaches at your waist and hangs down from your waist there is no way to attach the bib at the bottom.
Thanks for your feedback!!
December 2010 - Beach Club
June 2010 - Beach Club
October 2008 - AKL
May 2007 - AKL
May 2005 - AKL
July 2003 - All Star Sports

June 2001-Downtown Disney
June 2000-Contemporary
June 1999 - Off site
June 1997 - Off site
June 1994 - Off site
?????
??????
???????
baugus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #390
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

ok, I'm slightly freaking out....I haven't been able to train as well as I had hoped to for this race. I am in school full time since September and it's been a struggle to balance that with home, kids, work, and training. I pretty much have been able to keep up with one long run and 1 or 2 short runs per week. I got as far as a 10 mile long run in the middle of December, then got sick for a week, then had finals to contend with, then Christmas shopping etc...I tried to pick up best I could running a few shorter runs (3 miles, 5 miles, 6 miles) and was able to run 10 miles on Friday (albeit slowly! and painfully!)

Woke up the other day with some mild SI discomfort, saw my chiropractor and figured all would be good, so I went out and ran the 10. I think that was a bad idea cuz my back is killing me now. Going to have to head back to the chiro a couple times this week and hope it improves soon! but I think I may have to back off running until it gets better and I had hoped for one more long run before the 1/2. Freaking out! Tell me it will be ok! I had high hopes for this race and do not want to have to bail
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: