Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #256
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.
 
PlutoBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 984

Talking

Hey everybody! Can you believe life is JUST starting to calm down after the Wine and Dine??? Happy to say that even though I missed my goal of 2:15, I did finish with a semi-respectable time of 2:26 (2:21 total running time. I stopped my GPS for a bathroom break and Pluto pic.) It was by far a million times better that last year's race. I truly believe alot of it had to with not overtraining, doing more to prevent that darn old ITBS from becoming too much of a problem , and knowing what to expect. I hate to say I'm not nearly as excited for the Donald, but I guess I just need to get my head back on track and start really looking at the course and keeping up with things here. It seems like there are more people doing either the full, Goofy, or Dopey than just the Donald. Or is it just me???

The DH said he's actually going to get up with me and go to the start. I'm thinking about doing the Platinum ChEAR package for him. Has anyone gotten it in the past? Do you think it's worth it?
__________________
www.blackdogrunsdisney.com

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #257
dragitoff
DIS Veteran
 
dragitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,120

Have they released the official course map yet or have they confirmed if it's the same route as last year? I did the full last year, but I'm running the half this year with DW and two first-timers. I'm meeting with the first-timers this Saturday to discuss Marathon Weekend plans so I'd love to have a course map if it's available. I haven't seen it yet though.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #258
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
Have they released the official course map yet or have they confirmed if it's the same route as last year? I did the full last year, but I'm running the half this year with DW and two first-timers. I'm meeting with the first-timers this Saturday to discuss Marathon Weekend plans so I'd love to have a course map if it's available. I haven't seen it yet though.
It's the same as last year based on the revisions on the full course. Saying this the opposite way, the start and finish lines on the full remained the same as has the trip through MK (only a slight change of course in DAK). So based on this the course has not been revised.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/4106815/

This is a course map in MMR with water stations added.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #259
dragitoff
DIS Veteran
 
dragitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
It's the same as last year based on the revisions on the full course. Saying this the opposite way, the start and finish lines on the full remained the same as has the trip through MK (only a slight change of course in DAK). So based on this the course has not been revised.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/4106815/

This is a course map in MMR with water stations added.
I love that map coach! So much better than the generic ones, especially if you look at it in the satellite view. You really don't spend much time in Epcot do you as compared to the full where you run all of World Showcase. That's disappointing, but it is what it is.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #260
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
I love that map coach! So much better than the generic ones, especially if you look at it in the satellite view. You really don't spend much time in Epcot do you as compared to the full where you run all of World Showcase. That's disappointing, but it is what it is.
But then if one is pushing for a PR, then it seems like a little more than wanted while in the park
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #261
MM_Bound
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 64

Kids races?

Hi everyone, hope your training is going well and on track.
I did 15K on the weekend, my long run Sundays are between 15 and 21k. This week it was -20C wind chill and gusts to 50KM/h (-4f and 30MPH), I am so looking forward to running down south!

I have a question regarding Kids Races. My anticipated finish time for the half is between 2:00-2:15. I would like to run the 1/2 Saturday morning, bus to the Pop, get the family and Kids and make it to ESPN for the kids races that start at at 11:00am. Do you think this is possible, or is there not enough time?
__________________
MM_Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #262
dragitoff
DIS Veteran
 
dragitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
But then if one is pushing for a PR, then it seems like a little more than wanted while in the park
That's true. You know my times and I'm certain I will PR even with pic stops and Disney race crowds. I'm expecting to be in either Corral B or C for the half so maybe the crowds won't be bad for either. Even though I'm expecting a PR, I'm not stressing over it. I'm merely expecting it because my training runs have been PR's from my last half this spring by nearly 5 minutes!

I'm not running the race with the newbies but I want to finish in enough time to pick out a good spot and cheer them across the finish line.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #263
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer
 
Diskidatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM_Bound View Post
Hi everyone, hope your training is going well and on track.
I did 15K on the weekend, my long run Sundays are between 15 and 21k. This week it was -20C wind chill and gusts to 50KM/h (-4f and 30MPH), I am so looking forward to running down south!

I have a question regarding Kids Races. My anticipated finish time for the half is between 2:00-2:15. I would like to run the 1/2 Saturday morning, bus to the Pop, get the family and Kids and make it to ESPN for the kids races that start at at 11:00am. Do you think this is possible, or is there not enough time?
Alot of it will depend on the Coral that you are in. If you are in one of the first Corrals, then I would say that it might be cutting it close. If you start at 5:45, run in 2:15, that gets you to 8 crossing the line. By the time you cool down, grab a snack and drink provided, get a picture with your medal, recover a little and then get to the bus, it will be at least 9. I doubt if they will have buses going straight to the WWOS complex from EPCOT (but I'm not certain on that one), so you would probably need to go back to a resort and then catch a bus from that resort to WWOS.

Unfortunately, with your time, I'm thinking you would be a little further back due to the changing of corrals this year. Assuming you've submitted a time, even if you are in D or E, that would probably get you started about 15 minutes later, so would even be cutting it closer. As you can see, the further back you are, the more difficult it will be to get there.
__________________
Jerry

Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #264
MM_Bound
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskidatheart View Post
Alot of it will depend on the Coral that you are in. If you are in one of the first Corrals, then I would say that it might be cutting it close. If you start at 5:45, run in 2:15, that gets you to 8 crossing the line. By the time you cool down, grab a snack and drink provided, get a picture with your medal, recover a little and then get to the bus, it will be at least 9. I doubt if they will have buses going straight to the WWOS complex from EPCOT (but I'm not certain on that one), so you would probably need to go back to a resort and then catch a bus from that resort to WWOS.

Unfortunately, with your time, I'm thinking you would be a little further back due to the changing of corrals this year. Assuming you've submitted a time, even if you are in D or E, that would probably get you started about 15 minutes later, so would even be cutting it closer. As you can see, the further back you are, the more difficult it will be to get there.
I submitted 2:07. It sounds like the post race stuff may take a little longer than I thought. When I just look at the time, 8:00-11:00 it seems possible but I guess having all the extras of medal photos and getting post race refreshments, bus transportation, and stuff make it tricky. Thanks for the info!
My other thought is to try for Friday, our first day there. I can do the expo after the kids race but can't get the kits until the morning. Anyone have an idea how long it would take to get the kids race kits and get them to the start lines? Is it reasonable to hit the expo at 10 and get them to the start for 11:00 (100 meter dash)?
__________________
MM_Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #265
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM_Bound View Post
I submitted 2:07. It sounds like the post race stuff may take a little longer than I thought. When I just look at the time, 8:00-11:00 it seems possible but I guess having all the extras of medal photos and getting post race refreshments, bus transportation, and stuff make it tricky. Thanks for the info!
My other thought is to try for Friday, our first day there. I can do the expo after the kids race but can't get the kits until the morning. Anyone have an idea how long it would take to get the kids race kits and get them to the start lines? Is it reasonable to hit the expo at 10 and get them to the start for 11:00 (100 meter dash)?
I think your original plan is very doable on Saturday. You should finish about 0800 and be back in the room by 0915 leaving 1:45 before the races.

As a safety valve, have the family go out and board the bus even if you do not arrive in the room in time. Or fail to a taxi over to the WWoS. It's only a 10 minute drive once in a vehicle.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #266
Benisa
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Maybe at some point once you are really conditioned and could do two long events inside of a week or so, you could do the Marathon weekend at WDW and then the Tinkerbell weekend at DLR? IN 2014 they are just a week apart. It does involve flying across the country, but at least you could do it with just the one international flight.
At some point, I would love to get the Coast to Coast medal, but I think I'll wait till after the race to decide if one year would be enough to train for that...

************************************

I just realized I should have signed up for the 5k. Doing a training program called "I just want to get home" I ran today's just-over-3-miles about 20 seconds/mile faster than I have ever done. And I could have run further, but, well, I wanted to get home. I had to stay late at work, hadn't hat dinner yet and it was just above freezing point. Apparently, that makes a great coach.

And when I came home, I had an e-mail from my tour provider telling me that they still have places for Dopey and Goofy. Maybe that's a sign and I should sign up for that gorgeous Dopey medal immediately! Or, I could just go and get me some reward-chocolate…
Benisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #267
MM_Bound
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I think your original plan is very doable on Saturday. You should finish about 0800 and be back in the room by 0915 leaving 1:45 before the races.

As a safety valve, have the family go out and board the bus even if you do not arrive in the room in time. Or fail to a taxi over to the WWoS. It's only a 10 minute drive once in a vehicle.
Thanks, I hadn't thought about a taxi actually. I think will just throw a clean shirt in the bag check and if I have time stop by the room, if not I will just cab it directly to WWoS.
__________________
MM_Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #268
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyParrothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 316

6 miles on Friday and my IT band held up until the very end. I think my Rock Tape was off, I need to work on getting the application right. It felt good but I'm still concerned about that band. I'm starting more strengthening but from a different perspective.

I've also added some more songs to my playlist, including Let It Go from Frozen. Anybody else see Frozen? I may add another song from the movie but now I'm going through my Disney list to see which ones will be good to have.
__________________
"It's not my fault being the biggest and the strongest. I don't even exercise."

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012


Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014



http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #269
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
The DH said he's actually going to get up with me and go to the start. I'm thinking about doing the Platinum ChEAR package for him. Has anyone gotten it in the past? Do you think it's worth it?
Since that's the one that allows entrance to the Race Retreat, I assume you have the RR for yourself? I bought the RR for myself, and if DH thought he could even be in Florida for the Half I'd get him the Platinum, too. Just so we could hang out instead of him being out in the elements while I'm sheltered.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #270
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Since that's the one that allows entrance to the Race Retreat, I assume you have the RR for yourself? I bought the RR for myself, and if DH thought he could even be in Florida for the Half I'd get him the Platinum, too. Just so we could hang out instead of him being out in the elements while I'm sheltered.
Just so you understand the FINE PRINT, pre-race the RR is open for runners only until just about the time runners are released to the corrals; only then can the Platinum ChEAR folks enter the tent.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: