Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #211
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleGirl View Post
Well we went to the doctor this afternoon and it looks like we will not be running in January. DH has a possibly broken foot (waiting for x-ray results) and tight tendons. He needs to take a week or two off and do some prescribed stretches everyday for the next 8 weeks. We can start walking in a few days then slowly try a light jog. We need to take it slooooowly. If things start to hurt again, we need to stop walking altogether and just stretch. If the stretches and rest don't eliminate the pain in 8 weeks, he'll need to go to PT. This means we cannot train for at least a few weeks. We are not in good enough condition to condense our training and still be successful in January. I'm pretty disappointed. We've decided to try the half next year and do 12 months of really slow training. Basically we're starting from scratch.

So, can I defer our race registration? How do I go about doing this?

Gosh, January is going to be hard. We're still going to WDW, which is wonderful! .... But it's going to be painful to see all the wonderful race preparations and not be a part of it. First world problems, I guess. I'm trying to look at the big picture and not be disappointed.
Sorry about the news. It is always a tough pill to swallow. If it is any help, I started trying to run the marathon as a 40th year bucket list item.... I finished my first marathon at age 43.

On the runD marathon weekend "registration" page, there is a deferral paragraph with a link.

In the mean time, try to work with the PT on expanding the scope of exercises to include a general leg conditioning. I suspect that the entire structure from hips down is somewhat compromised. If he cannot, try to get to a gym and look for a trainer with a 'corrective exercise' certification. Do not join the club until you find out what the trainer certs are (and their cost). You should be able to bundle some package together. I would spend the next 3-4 months working on total conditioning and then slowly move into running again. This will solidify the foundation and give you two a platform to spring forward from.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #212
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well we went to the doctor this afternoon and it looks like we will not be running in January. DH has a possibly broken foot (waiting for x-ray results) and tight tendons. He needs to take a week or two off and do some prescribed stretches everyday for the next 8 weeks. We can start walking in a few days then slowly try a light jog. We need to take it slooooowly. If things start to hurt again, we need to stop walking altogether and just stretch. If the stretches and rest don't eliminate the pain in 8 weeks, he'll need to go to PT. This means we cannot train for at least a few weeks. We are not in good enough condition to condense our training and still be successful in January. I'm pretty disappointed. We've decided to try the half next year and do 12 months of really slow training. Basically we're starting from scratch.

So, can I defer our race registration? How do I go about doing this?

Gosh, January is going to be hard. We're still going to WDW, which is wonderful! .... But it's going to be painful to see all the wonderful race preparations and not be a part of it. First world problems, I guess. I'm trying to look at the big picture and not be disappointed.
I'm really sorry your DH is going through this.

I take it that you guys aren't comfy with you running on your own while DH is your support team for it?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #213
MapleGirl
Perpetual Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Sorry about the news. It is always a tough pill to swallow. If it is any help, I started trying to run the marathon as a 40th year bucket list item.... I finished my first marathon at age 43.

On the runD marathon weekend "registration" page, there is a deferral paragraph with a link.

In the mean time, try to work with the PT on expanding the scope of exercises to include a general leg conditioning. I suspect that the entire structure from hips down is somewhat compromised. If he cannot, try to get to a gym and look for a trainer with a 'corrective exercise' certification. Do not join the club until you find out what the trainer certs are (and their cost). You should be able to bundle some package together. I would spend the next 3-4 months working on total conditioning and then slowly move into running again. This will solidify the foundation and give you two a platform to spring forward from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I'm really sorry your DH is going through this.

I take it that you guys aren't comfy with you running on your own while DH is your support team for it?

Thanks guys. I don't think he'll agree to see a trainer but I'm going to help him do the stretches the doctor told him to do. We have a pretty kicking home gym, so we'll both be able to do some strength training over the winter and light walking on the treadmill or elliptical.

I asked him about running the race on my own but he wants to do it together. I was pretty surprised. He wasn't all that happy when I signed us up last spring but now he's excited to train for a full year and really do a great job in 2015.

Am I allowed to talk about selling bibs on the DIS? I was a bit bummed to see deferring will cost us $90 for the two of us. Boo.

MapleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #214
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I asked him about running the race on my own but he wants to do it together. I was pretty surprised. He wasn't all that happy when I signed us up last spring but now he's excited to train for a full year and really do a great job in 2015.
Aw, that's really sweet of him. And of you; you're way nicer than I would be in your shoes, LOL.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #215
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer

Hi

Sorry to hear of your DH injury maple girl. I am currently
Doing PT for a fractured distal clavacle due to a fall 2 weeks ago.
I got lucky that I won't need surgery. But it took me off training for 10 days. Now I am doing a little power walking to get set for the 10K in January.

On that note my sister is flying in to MCO for WDW wknd. She needs to get back to the airport by 10am on Marathon Sunday. We are staying inside Disney.
Does anyone know how much time to allow for a Mears airport shuttle to go from hotel to the airport? I hear maybe 3 hours?

Thanks
Colleen
Mickeyfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #216
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan74 View Post
Sorry to hear of your DH injury maple girl. I am currently
Doing PT for a fractured distal clavacle due to a fall 2 weeks ago.
I got lucky that I won't need surgery. But it took me off training for 10 days. Now I am doing a little power walking to get set for the 10K in January.

On that note my sister is flying in to MCO for WDW wknd. She needs to get back to the airport by 10am on Marathon Sunday. We are staying inside Disney.
Does anyone know how much time to allow for a Mears airport shuttle to go from hotel to the airport? I hear maybe 3 hours?

Thanks
Colleen
DME asks you to be ready 3 hours before flight time. If you are staying Contempo, GF or Poly I would suggest adding some buffer.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #217
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

I'm curious who all is doing the WDW Half as well as the Princess half? I am, but didn't realize the course is the exact same which is kind of a bummer to me. Oh well, maybe for 2014 it'll be my goal to do all WDW runDisney events
1994-2004 Off-site * Spring 2005 Caribbean Beach- Martinique * Spring 2006 All-Star Movies- Fantasia * Nov. 18- Nov. 24 2006 Pop Century- '50s * March 2nd-7th 2007 Pop Century- '80s * Oct. 12- Oct. 17th 2007 Pop Century- '60s * Feb. 2- Feb. 8th 2008 Polynesian- Hawaii*Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd 2008 Grand Floridian- Boca Chica*Dec. 13- Dec 17th 2008 Port Orleans Riverside- Oak Manor*May 16- May 23rd 2009 Beach Club Resort*Aug. 10-Aug. 13th 2009 Pop Century- '50s.*Dec. 10- Dec. 13th 2009 Yacht Club Resort*March 6-10th 2010 Contemporary MK View*July 31st- Aug 7th 2010 Contemporary MK View
October 27-October 30 2010 Pop Century*Animal Kingdom Lodge- Dec. 11-16th 2010*June 8th-13th 2011 Coronado Springs- Cabanas.* Fall Advantage College Program 6/11-1/12*Boardwalk Inn August 2012*October 2012 All-Star Sports*January 2013 Port Orleans French Quarter*1/21/13-8/13 Spring Advantage College Program
DisneyGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #218
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlie View Post
I'm curious who all is doing the WDW Half as well as the Princess half?
Me - I am! My plan (subject to change as needed, of course), is to race the WDW Half (no stops, hopefully), race the 10K portion of the Glass Slipper Challenge (no stops), and take it very easy for the Princess Half (stopping for pics). I think that'll make for two very different races, even though they share the same course.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #219
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlie View Post
I'm curious who all is doing the WDW Half as well as the Princess half? I am, but didn't realize the course is the exact same which is kind of a bummer to me. Oh well, maybe for 2014 it'll be my goal to do all WDW runDisney events
Me too
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #220
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

race retreat?

Hi!

I'm trying to talk myself into the race retreat (assuming there's space left) for the Half. I'm running solo, and probably won't have any family coming in to the park to meet me. So I'll be on my own before and after. Being on my own before TOT was pretty lonely for me, and I felt really lost. Would the Retreat help me at least feel like I had a place to go? (other than a 45 minute portapotty line, that is, like I got caught in at TOT)

Is it a good and helpful thing, or is it a waste of money? Easy-to-get food afterwards would be a very good thing for me so that's a positive. But since I'm slower, would food be left? Ah, reading it closer it says it goes to 10:30, so I would HOPE there would be food left at around 8:30, LOL.

Thanks for anyone's thoughts on this!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #221
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer

Dme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
DME asks you to be ready 3 hours before flight time. If you are staying Contempo, GF or Poly I would suggest adding some buffer.
Great. Thanks Coach. Always appreciate your help.

Colleen
Mickeyfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #222
PrincessV

I did RR for PHM this year...

Quote:
Would the Retreat help me at least feel like I had a place to go? (other than a 45 minute portapotty line, that is, like I got caught in at TOT)
Yes. That was one of the biggest positive points abut it for me - just having a firm destination (complete with its own bag check, changing area, food, and potties) to which to head before and after the race. It wasn't the quiet escape for which I'd hoped - it was pretty darned loud and busy in that enormous tent - but it eased some anxiety, knowing where I was supposed to be.

Quote:
Is it a good and helpful thing, or is it a waste of money? Easy-to-get food afterwards would be a very good thing for me so that's a positive. But since I'm slower, would food be left? Ah, reading it closer it says it goes to 10:30, so I would HOPE there would be food left at around 8:30, LOL.
I don't think it's a waste at all - if it's within your budget. It really isn't in mine for the WDW Half, but I carved out some space for it for the PHM because doing the GSC, I really want its conveniences for my second day of racing.

My group was concerned about the timing, too, but even our latest finisher (finished at a clock time a little under 4:30:00, so around 10am, plus add on time to get through the finish chute...) found plenty of food left.

To me, the biggest feature of RR is shelter. This year, we didn't need it. But in 2010, Marathon weekend included wind chills in the teens, rain and SLEET. I wasn't running, but I was out and about in those conditions at WDW... and I'm now scarred for life. My pile of possible throw-away clothes could keep comfortable an entire ski team in the Arctic.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Old 11-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #223
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
To me, the biggest feature of RR is shelter. This year, we didn't need it. But in 2010, Marathon weekend included wind chills in the teens, rain and SLEET. I wasn't running, but I was out and about in those conditions at WDW... and I'm now scarred for life. My pile of possible throw-away clothes could keep comfortable an entire ski team in the Arctic.

Everything you wrote was very helpful to me. But the above made me laugh.

I keep reading about the 2010 one, and find it so interesting that it was that cold both in January and then in December of the same year (which was our first WDW visit). Sleet...shudder. My first ever experience with sleet messed me up because I had NO idea what it was, forced my car to start to get to my aerobics class (no idea it had been cancelled due to the weather), and it resulted in what could have been a fatal car accident because of it (absolutely no physical injuries, but I was about a millimeter away from the car flinging itself into a big river). So sleet...ugh.

I'm inching closer to doing it. DH really wants me to, because, well, he's very supportive of me running, being comfortable, and not feeling as lost as I did pre-TOT. He's also supportive of me getting food very quickly after the run.

My aunt, son, and young cousin will be back at the room (or at the arcade or doing something fun I hope), and I really don't want my aunt especially to see how dehydrated and low-blood-sugary I can get after a long run despite my best efforts, so fueling up asap is very important!
Old 11-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #224
PrincessV

Quote:

Everything you wrote was very helpful to me. But the above made me laugh.

I keep reading about the 2010 one, and find it so interesting that it was that cold both in January and then in December of the same year (which was our first WDW visit). Sleet...shudder.
I was born and raised in Western NY. Heart of the Snowbelt. I'm intimately familiar with battling lake effect blizzard conditions to get to work on time. But I've been a Floridian for 20+ years now. That sleet scared the pulp outta me, lol! I was walking to my car from my resort room when it made the switch from rain to sleet and I flipped out - first (and only) time I've ever seen something like snow in FL! Still, I was bundled up in long johns, wool socks and sweater, down jacket, hat/gloves. We were headed to MK and what I saw at the TTC/on the monorail was frightening - the half-marathon folks looked shell-shocked. I've never, ever seen people shiver that hard. I've never seen people actually look blue like that. I have bad weather luck... so I live in fear of similar conditions every time I register for a winter race!

Quote:
I'm inching closer to doing it. DH really wants me to, because, well, he's very supportive of me running, being comfortable, and not feeling as lost as I did pre-TOT. He's also supportive of me getting food very quickly after the run.
Want some enabling? Do it. You may decide it's not absolutely necessary for every future race, but I promise you won't regret it the first time. My blood sugar tanks FAST after running and having that warm, fresh food right there, where I didn't have to deal with money or thinking about where to get it, was invaluable.

I run Disney!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #225
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

Want some enabling? Do it. You may decide it's not absolutely necessary for every future race, but I promise you won't regret it the first time. My blood sugar tanks FAST after running and having that warm, fresh food right there, where I didn't have to deal with money or thinking about where to get it, was invaluable.
You're the best enabler EVER.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: