Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #181
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams91 View Post
Great idea....but then I have to give them my I.d for pick up, right?
Wouldn't that be the same if you found someone here, though?

My random and highly specific questions are starting earlier for this than they did for the TOT. And this question is for those who did the TOT and have done the Marathon weekend events!

I've been thinking a lot about the pre-race stuff at this year's TOT, and all the pictures being taken and the DJ and everything, and I wonder if the pre-race stuff for the Half is anything like what went on this Oct 5th. Should I go prepared to pose for pictures? Will there be music that early in the morning? Will I run the risk of getting stuck in the port-a-potty line again for 45 minutes? If so, is there anyone out there who is tall who will hang out with me so we can find a shorter line?

Basically just wondering what the pre-race stuff is like for the Half.

Also the expo; should I expect it to be somewhat similar?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone has on this!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #182
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

My random and highly specific questions are starting earlier for this than they did for the TOT. And this question is for those who did the TOT and have done the Marathon weekend events!

I've been thinking a lot about the pre-race stuff at this year's TOT, and all the pictures being taken and the DJ and everything, and I wonder if the pre-race stuff for the Half is anything like what went on this Oct 5th. Should I go prepared to pose for pictures? Will there be music that early in the morning? Will I run the risk of getting stuck in the port-a-potty line again for 45 minutes? If so, is there anyone out there who is tall who will hang out with me so we can find a shorter line?

Yes, I suppose. But I feel we are 'safe'. :-/

Yes, there will be music and fireworks for EVErY corral. Not just the start. The expo is much busier with more vendors. It takes both buildings, not just one.

dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #183
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Great idea....but then I have to give them my I.d for pick up, right? Coach, it's a stress fracture. :-/. So I will need to either sell or defer. But I will be back....in the famous Arnold accent...
Best of luck on the SF.

With the ID, regardless of who I were to allow to pick up a bis would have the number and address redacted. No one needs that info.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #184
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:

The weekend is much more hectic. The expo is much larger. Bibs are issued in the HP Field House then you walk over to the Jostens Center for the jersey. Shirts are located where the bibs were in the ToT.. If you look at the W&D you will see the general layout for the January event.

Think of the expo with 60000 runners not the 15000 of the ToT weekend.

The January races will have entertainment. I find it less energetic than the night races. Don't get me wrong, there is a high level of energy, just has a little more respect for the distances - i.e. no line dancing. on a side note---> everyone knows that line dancing was invented so ladies with non dancing partners would feel good dancing alone... There are a few photo boards and if in the runner retreat, character photo ops.

The pre-stage corrals will not load as close to the staging area. That is, unless there are revisions. We have always loaded corrals at the start line. Its about a .6 mile walk to the start from the staging area.

I find the energy in the corrals much higher than at the ToT. It may be due to the malfunctioning sound system at the ToT, but it is also due to the fact we are in the corrals in January so much longer.

I cannot vouch for your ability to find the non-line line at the porta potty sites. I think in my first Disney race I wrote a paragraph on the number of little green buildings. There are twice as many today as then. I have a special 'secret' location where I find piece and quiet before heading to the corrals. If one keeps their eyes open, it is easily spotted. I do sell maps to the location for $100.

In the January races, folks tend to just go, also. I think it due to the fact that folks are probably better hydrated for the longer races as well as folk's bodies continuing to wake up. You may have read about the sea of folks splitting off just after the start and heading to the bush. Before corrals, this was a very disorienting view as 30% of the runners veered off course. Many folks also drop short at the canal that is located course right while in the corrals. This one I find funny as there is a huge amount of ambient light from the light towers, you are in view of the corrals and those who have gathered to watch from the OKW resort.

Well enough potty talk.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 10-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #185
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Wow, 2 buildings?

Why are we in the corrals longer?

Just realized that this race I have NO expectation of family being there, whereas with TOT I left before DH and DS were ready, left my phone at the room, but still sort of expected them to show up at any minute. So I stayed within easy sight of the buses for WAY too long. That won't happen this time because I would rather have them sleep than try to watch any of it. Whew. That's one issue solved because I'll just get in line for the portapotties way before I feel the need.

Because the absolute last thing I want to do is even think about using the bushes, and I really really really want to start in MY corral this time, not get stuck in line for 4 corrals.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and knowledge!

2 buildings. Wow. Glad we're getting there early!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:02 AM   #186
dreams91
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Wow, 2 buildings?

Just realized that this race I have NO expectation of family being there, whereas with TOT I left before DH and DS were ready, left my phone at the room, but still sort of expected them to show up at any minute. So I stayed within easy sight of the buses for WAY too long. That won't happen this time because I would rather have them sleep than try to watch any of it. Whew. That's one issue solved because I'll just get in line for the portapotties way before I feel the need.

Because the absolute last thing I want to do is even think about using the bushes, and I really really really want to start in MY corral this time, not get stuck in line for 4 corrals.

At ToT they slowly walked our corrals to the start. At the jan half, you start and wait in your corral until the first ones go. Then they let the other corrals walk to the start. So you will leave the staging area just to go wait in your corral. I think it's because there are so many people?

I agree with coach, energy level seemed higher at ToT...I think people are still sleeping at the start in jan....I know I am. Lol.
And he's not kidding, you will see lots of people go off to the side bushes or no bushes.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #187
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

Hi Guys!

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, but in the mean time just wanted to jump in and introduce myself!

I'm Ashley and I am brand new to runDisney and running in general. I just completed the Tower of Terror 10 Miler and it was my first race ever. I did better than I thought I would and had an excellent time (cuz it's Disney, so duh!) and now I am a runDisney addict. I was holding off on registering for any half marathons until I was sure I could finish 10 miles. By the time I finished the ToT 10 Miler, Donald's Half was sold out, but I purchased my registration through a Travel Agent who had special access to race registrations available I guess.

So, long story short, I am running the Half Marathon in January! I am so pumped! Is anyone in the Orlando/Kissimmee area looking for a running/training buddy? I'm your girl!
1994-2004 Off-site * Spring 2005 Caribbean Beach- Martinique * Spring 2006 All-Star Movies- Fantasia * Nov. 18- Nov. 24 2006 Pop Century- '50s * March 2nd-7th 2007 Pop Century- '80s * Oct. 12- Oct. 17th 2007 Pop Century- '60s * Feb. 2- Feb. 8th 2008 Polynesian- Hawaii*Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd 2008 Grand Floridian- Boca Chica*Dec. 13- Dec 17th 2008 Port Orleans Riverside- Oak Manor*May 16- May 23rd 2009 Beach Club Resort*Aug. 10-Aug. 13th 2009 Pop Century- '50s.*Dec. 10- Dec. 13th 2009 Yacht Club Resort*March 6-10th 2010 Contemporary MK View*July 31st- Aug 7th 2010 Contemporary MK View
October 27-October 30 2010 Pop Century*Animal Kingdom Lodge- Dec. 11-16th 2010*June 8th-13th 2011 Coronado Springs- Cabanas.* Fall Advantage College Program 6/11-1/12*Boardwalk Inn August 2012*October 2012 All-Star Sports*January 2013 Port Orleans French Quarter*1/21/13-8/13 Spring Advantage College Program
DisneyGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #188
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow, 2 buildings?

First, its the difference between 12000 and 26000 runners and the need to assure time for runners to get to the start on time. Recall that the ToT corrals are prestaged in the same area we assembled waiting for the race. About 40 minutes pre-race the pre-staged corrals were marched over to the start. In the January race, the layout is different. The start line is a 0.6 mile walk from the staging area. It would be nearly impossible to keep the corrals together for that long of a walk.

The process for Janaury goes something like this&

Buses run from 3-4 AM to the Epcot Parking lot. You are dropped near the Monorail station and walk to the Wonder Lot where the Staging/Family Reunion area is located. Most of the lot is devoted to this. You walk through a gate into the area. Along the left side are information tents and a few running group tents. A stage and vending area are also there. And finally on the far left is the runner retreat. On the right as you enter the area is a long row of tents. These are the baggage check tents. On the far end are porta potties. As a runner, you will go through the baggage tents on your way to the start. This is a bib verification point and only runners will be allowed through the tents. On the other side of the tents are hundreds of porta potties ringing the area with a gated opening on the far end. The fenced/gated end is the path to the race. If you arrive before 0330, this is also the place to head for a fresh and unused potty as most early folks do not pass through the tents. Note that the runners only area will eventually pack full near the fenced end.

Once the runners are released to the corrals, we walk along Woodpecker Lane and onto Overpass Dr. We take the two exists off of Overpass onto Epcot Drive. You enter your corrals on Epcot. Corrals are on both sides of Epcot Drive. Note that there are also porta potties located along the path from the staging area to the corals.

The schedule for the morning follows this general outline.
Busses run from 0300  0400.
Disney asks that all bags be checked by 0430
Usually about the same time, the fence is dropped for the walk to the corrals.
It takes between 20 and 45 minutes to walk to the corrals.
Once in the corrals, you are there until the start; for the early folks, this could be 40 minutes and longer for the back of the packers.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 10-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #189
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Hi everyone!

I did my training run this morning, 10 miles, which completed week 6 of the WDW Half plan I'm following!

So far I am still really enjoying the training - I feel like I've 'discovered' running as I had never properly run outside until signing up for this race in April so much so that DH & I have signed up for a local half marathon in March 2014!

Happy training everyone!

Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #190
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the further explanation! I think I'm starting to get it.

The other day I signed up for a clif pace group. Seemed intriguing. And I was something of a hanger on with a pace group when going around what I think was a baseball field at tot (I really do get dumb when I run, and my memory goes too, along with my low vision in the dark (thanks for that side effect LASIK!) so a lot of the run was just a blur of impressions). It seemed like a neat thing, a bit of camaraderie that might be good for me.

Anyone else signed up for a pace group for the half? (This half seems to be the only half they do!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #191
dreams91
DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Thanks for the further explanation! I think I'm starting to get it.

The other day I signed up for a clif pace group. Seemed intriguing. And I was something of a hanger on with a pace group when going around what I think was a baseball field at tot (I really do get dumb when I run, and my memory goes too, along with my low vision in the dark (thanks for that side effect LASIK!) so a lot of the run was just a blur of impressions). It seemed like a neat thing, a bit of camaraderie that might be good for me.

Anyone else signed up for a pace group for the half? (This half seems to be the only half they do!)
I get that way too. I swear my mind is gone when I run. Other people will come back and be able to recite everything. I remember like one or two things I saw.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #192
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I get that way too. I swear my mind is gone when I run. Other people will come back and be able to recite everything. I remember like one or two things I saw.
So glad I'm not alone. We did a short cruise after our WDW/Uni trip this time, and I was on the running deck of the Dream. Spent the entire time I was doing my workout working out how many times around the ship would be approximately 5K. I had to use fingers, I had to keep recalculating, it was bad. 2.5 times around = 1 mile. Is it really THAT hard to figure out that 8 times around is something I can call 3.1 miles? Yes, apparently it is for me.

(and then my Garmin showed the Castaway Cay 5K as being only 3 miles, so I didn't get a new best 5K time on garminconnect! so sad!)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #193
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
I haven't experienced Marathon Wknd as a runner yet, but I did experience PHM last year, which is nearly identical to the WDW Half set-up, as I understand it. I'm not good with a lot of noise, so I may perceive it differently than others, but yes - the DJ was going full-force in the pre-race area. Some Princesses were dancing, but it wasn't the dance club affair that TOT was. It was loud, though.

I did Race Retreat, so I didn't use the general porta-potties in the staging area, but I did see banks and banks of them. They also had more banks of them next to the corrals, so don't feel like you have to use the staging area potties or tough it out until you're on the course. I wound up making a mad dash for the corral potties as my corral lined up for the start! There were no lines and I figured the job over would be a good warm-up, lol! Made it with about 30 seconds to spare.

I just make it a habit to scope out the potty situation upon arrival at pre-race zones. Look for the "hidden" banks that people don't usually see right away - around a corner, behind a bank facing toward the crowd, next to a tent... there are almost always a few not many folks see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
I did my training run this morning, 10 miles, which completed week 6 of the WDW Half plan I'm following!
Awesome - WTG!

Quote:
+1 I love reading other folks' race recaps, where I find SO much I completely missed, lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ladies and gents, fall has finally arrived in Florida! My 7 miler Saturday was amazing; I really had to work to keep my speed down within training pace range - it felt so nice, and I was so comfortable at the end, I ditched the intervals and ran all of the final mile and still finished with plenty of energy! Good thing, too, because the rest of my weekend was spent battling a leaky toilet, moving furniture and carving pumpkins.

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #194
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I cannot vouch for your ability to find the non-line line at the porta potty sites. I think in my first Disney race I wrote a paragraph on the number of little green buildings. There are twice as many today as then. I have a special 'secret' location where I find piece and quiet before heading to the corrals. If one keeps their eyes open, it is easily spotted. I do sell maps to the location for $100.

In the January races, folks tend to just go, also. I think it due to the fact that folks are probably better hydrated for the longer races as well as folk's bodies continuing to wake up. You may have read about the sea of folks splitting off just after the start and heading to the bush. Before corrals, this was a very disorienting view as 30% of the runners veered off course. Many folks also drop short at the canal that is located course right while in the corrals. This one I find funny as there is a huge amount of ambient light from the light towers, you are in view of the corrals and those who have gathered to watch from the OKW resort.

Well enough potty talk.
All this potty talk is making me ! This will be my 3rd runDisney event but my 1st during marathon weekend, so I have NO idea what to expect. From the sounds of it, chaos, chaos, and more chaos! To make it worse, I'll be staying at a Downtown non-host hotel, so I have to figure out if I can take a taxi over to the start and what time to get there! I feel totally lost...

Feeling like a W&D expert after having run a whole ONE event last year , this weekend sounds so much more crazy. Any repeat offenders who can calm my nerves???

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #195
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
All this potty talk is making me ! This will be my 3rd runDisney event but my 1st during marathon weekend, so I have NO idea what to expect. From the sounds of it, chaos, chaos, and more chaos! To make it worse, I'll be staying at a Downtown non-host hotel, so I have to figure out if I can take a taxi over to the start and what time to get there! I feel totally lost...

Feeling like a W&D expert after having run a whole ONE event last year , this weekend sounds so much more crazy. Any repeat offenders who can calm my nerves???
At check in ask about the hotel's plans for marathon weekend. Some of the Hotel Plaza Blvd hotels offer some transportation to the race or set up taxi pooling lists. Not sure what hotel you are in, but if the Buena Vista Palace or Hilton, it is a very easy walk to the SSR and a Disney ride to the race.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: