Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #136
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I'm going to have to read that over and over; the story of how the run will go.

There's official transportation to and from the Swan and Dolphin for Marathon weekend, yes?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #137
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Joining in!

The WDW Half in 2014 will be my first ever half marathon and distance race. I wouldn't have called myself a runner, although I do go the gym regularly and run on a treadmill, but since registering for this race in April I have been outside running nearly every weekend, achieving just over 13 miles a couple of weeks ago!

I cannot wait for January, staying at Boardwalk Villas - flights are booked, ADRs made.. just 16 weeks of training to go

Where are people dining for the nights before and after the race? I am going to Tutto Italia before (carbs) and Yachtsman Steakhouse after (protein!).

Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #138
MM_Bound
Earning My Ears

Question about times, corral's and eating.

Hi Everyone. Hope your training is going well. I just finished my latest 1/2 marathon on Sunday, my next one will be at Disney. I am very excited.

During my recent 1/2 I had some issues that caused me to finish later than I should have but I have a decent time from a recent 10K that I could also use for corral placement. Does anyone know if they use a calculator from the 10KM to anticipate a 1/2 finish, or do they take your 10K pace time and just multiply that for 13.1?

I would like to try and guess what corral I will be in and how long until I get to run. Is there any information on corral placement?

Coming from Canada it is hard to bring my favourite PB and J for the morning of the race. Are the food courts at the Disney hotels open at all on race morning?

Yes, I think about the little details on my runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Where are people dining for the nights before and after the race? I am going to Tutto Italia before (carbs) and Yachtsman Steakhouse after (protein!).
While I haven't decided where for after the run, before will most likely be quickserve. I like about a cup or two of pasta around lunch the day before, and a light easy to digest early diner. Race morning I enjoy a PB and J or oatmeal, exciting I know. After the run, once my stomach settles, it is a all out feast.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #139
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM_Bound View Post
Coming from Canada it is hard to bring my favourite PB and J for the morning of the race. Are the food courts at the Disney hotels open at all on race morning?
I don't *know* if they are open, but wouldn't assume they are. Since we are picky about our PB&J, I personally would probably bring my own brand in our checked luggage. Perhaps make sure they are both in plastic containers, wrap them in multiple layers of ziptop bags and bubble wrap, put 'em in a "wine diaper", etc. That way you know you have them.

In fact that's a good idea for me to do. After the TOT I have to start experimenting with morning runs for the Half, and I'm hoping PB&J works well for me. So I might be doing just what I suggested!

Of course, you would need to make sure customs is OK with processed PB&J coming into the US. And have a backup plan in case it falls out of your checked luggage.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #140
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM_Bound View Post
Hi Everyone. Hope your training is going well. I just finished my latest 1/2 marathon on Sunday, my next one will be at Disney. I am very excited.

During my recent 1/2 I had some issues that caused me to finish later than I should have but I have a decent time from a recent 10K that I could also use for corral placement. Does anyone know if they use a calculator from the 10KM to anticipate a 1/2 finish, or do they take your 10K pace time and just multiply that for 13.1?

I would like to try and guess what corral I will be in and how long until I get to run. Is there any information on corral placement?

Yes, I think about the little details on my runs.

While I haven't decided where for after the run, before will most likely be quickserve. I like about a cup or two of pasta around lunch the day before, and a light easy to digest early diner. Race morning I enjoy a PB and J or oatmeal, exciting I know. After the run, once my stomach settles, it is a all out feast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I don't *know* if they are open, but wouldn't assume they are. Since we are picky about our PB&J, I personally would probably bring my own brand in our checked luggage. Perhaps make sure they are both in plastic containers, wrap them in multiple layers of ziptop bags and bubble wrap, put 'em in a "wine diaper", etc. That way you know you have them.

In fact that's a good idea for me to do. After the TOT I have to start experimenting with morning runs for the Half, and I'm hoping PB&J works well for me. So I might be doing just what I suggested!

Of course, you would need to make sure customs is OK with processed PB&J coming into the US. And have a backup plan in case it falls out of your checked luggage.
Most definitely YES, the resort food courts, the counter/quick service areas will be open or partially open. They usually open about 2 AM. Do not expect to have prepared food lines open, but bread stuffs, drink and coffee will definitely be available.

Saying that, I would have a back up source of carbs in the room that you could fall back on just in case the courts fails to open. In the 6-7 years they have been opening, I believe I read of only one fail.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #141
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

I've read on the 2014 marathon thread that some of the resorts will have bananas, bagels etc available in the lobby - compliments of the management

I tend to just eat a banana before a long run, I plan to buy some of these from the Boardwalk store the day before the race, and also bring some cereal bars/Belvita from home to eat straight after the half marathon... during a run I have one energy gel and a few handfuls of jelly beans!

Emma x
Old 09-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #142
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
I've read on the 2014 marathon thread that some of the resorts will have bananas, bagels etc available in the lobby - compliments of the management

I tend to just eat a banana before a long run, I plan to buy some of these from the Boardwalk store the day before the race, and also bring some cereal bars/Belvita from home to eat straight after the half marathon... during a run I have one energy gel and a few handfuls of jelly beans!

Emma x
The free layout is more an exception than a given - and I wonder if it were a one off event due to a CM failure to show. I would not plan on it happening at the AKL a second year.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #143
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Last year, we stayed at the Polynesian, and at the quick service (Captain Cook's), they were selling runner's breakfast packs the night before the races.
They had a large table of them and they were selling like hotcakes
I can't remember everything in them, but I know it was a bagel, stuff for your bagel, banana... not sure what else.

It was nice to have them ahead of time and not have to worry about that detail so early in the am.

Even if the resorts don't have this option, I always do this on my own anyway. I purchase a bagel or whatever, the afternoon before (while they still have a decent/fresh selection) and condiments (peanut butter, etc) and fruit or whatever I need for the pre-race morning. I bring ziplock bags to store them in to keep them fresh. I get my water, and post-race chocolate milk to keep in the room's refrig. for after the race so I have it as soon as we get back to shower, etc. to hold us over until we have our next meal.

I like to anticipate and have the what-can-go-wrong-will mentality so I'm totally prepared. It would be awful to not have the pre-race items we're used to. Nothing new on race day and all...

minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #144
tehvalerie
Mouseketeer

thoughts on proof of time?

I realize that the rules have all changed this year and I'm basically asking people to speculate here, but how fast (in terms of pace) do you think one would have to be to stay out of the last corral this year?

The RunDisney site says to submit a time if you expect to complete the half in 3:15 or less, which is a 14:52 pace. So would a 10k time faster than that do the trick? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth my time and money to do a local 10k this weekend so I have a half decent time to submit.
tehvalerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #145
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehvalerie View Post
I realize that the rules have all changed this year and I'm basically asking people to speculate here, but how fast (in terms of pace) do you think one would have to be to stay out of the last corral this year?

The RunDisney site says to submit a time if you expect to complete the half in 3:15 or less, which is a 14:52 pace. So would a 10k time faster than that do the trick? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth my time and money to do a local 10k this weekend so I have a half decent time to submit.
I would say that if one submitted a proof of time in a 10k in the 1:27 or better range you would be one to two corrals in front of the end. A 1:27 (14:05) 10k is a race equivalent to a 3:15 half.

Saying this, even if you ran a 1:32 and indicated that your estimated finish would be a 3:15, I think you are still OK. It is really unclear how Disney calculates race equivalents. It all depends on what weight they give to your estimated finish time. Note they are not asking for a new estimated time, but it cannot hurt to state it. Obviously, one could not estimate a 2:20 based on these results, so reason is in order.

I say run it and have fun. Try for a great time to get away from the last corral. If it does not work, you still have a race under your belt. You can never say gaining experience is bad.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 10-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #146
lmillercrew
DIS Veteran

I'm in!!! This will be my first Disney run and my DH and I are SUPER excited. Going down for my DSIL 40th birthday. She's doing the Dopey challenge, crazy girl. DH and I will be doing the Donald and loving every minute of it. We usually go to Disney in June, when we go, so I'm a bit nervous about what the weather will be like.

Me DH, DD15 Family 1982, 1989 HS choir trip, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014
lmillercrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #147
luvformickey
Earning My Ears

I'm running the Donald 1/2 too! It will be my first half and longest distance run ever. I just started running a couple months ago and my longest run to date is 6.2 miles (my qualifying 10K run)! I'm slowly getting stronger and can't wait to run in my favorite place!!
Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #148
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Hi everyone,

Three months to go!

Hope everyone's training is going well so far - I'm loosely following the Jeff Gallway plan.. two 45 minute runs a week, longer run at the weekend and 3 days of cross-training (I do strength and core training at the gym). So excited for January now, I keep watching You Tube videos of the race to keep me motivated

Emma x
Old 10-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #149
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking A little bit of motivation

I know this video is from the marathon, but when the ladies of We Run Disney posted it on their website, it stuck with me. It's my fave, so here's a little bit of motivation for everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDG66D1wdUo

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #150
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
I know this video is from the marathon, but when the ladies of We Run Disney posted it on their website, it stuck with me. It's my fave, so here's a little bit of motivation for everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDG66D1wdUo
That's the "If looks could Fkill" video.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: