Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

11 days to go and nowhere to eat--help

Well, I know we're not going to starve, lol.

We leave 4/21 and are staying at BCV. We just booked this trip a few weeks ago but then I had some work travel, and suddenly we leave next weekend and I have a completely pathetic plan so far.
We are DVC members with 3 small girls (7, almost 5 and 11 months). We eat most breakfasts in the room, though I did make one reservation for Cape May on 4/24 because the kids enjoy it.
We don't really do lunch reservations because of the baby's nap timing.

I have a reservation at Rose & Crown for 4/21, the night we arrive. I have a reservation for San Angel for 4/22.......

.....that's all.

The usual suspects are available, Biergarten (which we've never tried), Chefs De France (not a huge fan). We like to stay around the Epcot area, we are really only planning on doing water parks this trip and maybe MK & AK 1 day each.

My first question is, is it remotely possible that I would stumble onto cancellations for any of the coveted spots, like Via Napoli, Le Cellier, O'Hana, etc...? When do people have to cancel by? Is there a right way to find an opening?

How is Hollywood Brown Derby? I've always been interested but we've never been there. OK with 3 kids?
Any other spots around there we should try? Flying Fish seems a bit much for us with 3 kids. We are not ESPN fans (I am for the bar and the TV's, but for the food...not so much).

I'm also curious if anybody at Epcot recently can attest for whether there's enough options to eat around the world showcase at the F&G kiosks? We've been to F&W, but I'm not sure if there's any comparison?

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth holding out hope for any of the places mentioned above or if I should just go ahead and book what's left.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

I would go ahead book Biergarten & maybe one of the Mexican place.. Boma over at AKL that way you can eat there & relax after doing AK & maybe plaza at MK I hear great things about them plus here it's fairly easy to get into!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There's no tried and true way to make sure you get an opening for a popular place at the last minute. All you can do is keep checking and hope someone cancels. Restaurants that have a no-show fee require cancellation the day before, so you might see some guests cancelling if they think they won't make it. That won't help with Via Napoli. Definitely check even on the same day if you really want a certain place, and you can even ask your resort concierge or a Guest Services in the park to check for you if you don't have a smartphone.

The Flower and Garden kiosks are like Food & Wine Lite. There aren't as many of them and there aren't as many food choices at each one. They also aren't really catering to very young kids. They do mark "Try It" items with the intention that kids should think about trying them - but that's to influence the kiddies to try something new, and they don't sell the old children's standbys like chicken nuggets or pizza.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
JeanetteK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc2003 View Post
Well, I know we're not going to starve, lol.

We leave 4/21 and are staying at BCV. We just booked this trip a few weeks ago but then I had some work travel, and suddenly we leave next weekend and I have a completely pathetic plan so far.
We are DVC members with 3 small girls (7, almost 5 and 11 months). We eat most breakfasts in the room, though I did make one reservation for Cape May on 4/24 because the kids enjoy it.

I have a reservation at Rose & Crown for 4/21, the night we arrive. I have a reservation for San Angel for 4/22.......

.....that's all.

The usual suspects are available, Biergarten (which we've never tried), Chefs De France (not a huge fan). We like to stay around the Epcot area, we are really only planning on doing water parks this trip and maybe MK & AK 1 day each.

My first question is, is it remotely possible that I would stumble onto cancellations for any of the coveted spots, like Via Napoli, Le Cellier, O'Hana, etc...? When do people have to cancel by? Is there a right way to find an opening?

How is Hollywood Brown Derby? I've always been interested but we've never been there. OK with 3 kids?
Any other spots around there we should try? Flying Fish seems a bit much for us with 3 kids. We are not ESPN fans (I am for the bar and the TV's, but for the food...not so much).

I'm also curious if anybody at Epcot recently can attest for whether there's enough options to eat around the world showcase at the F&G kiosks? We've been to F&W, but I'm not sure if there's any comparison?

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth holding out hope for any of the places mentioned above or if I should just go ahead and book what's left.
My DH and I will be arriving 4/22 and have canceled and rebooked reservations last week. We haven't had trouble booking any ADRs. We booked our trip at the beginning of March, so even with booking that late we had no problems. Maybe just keep trying or be a little flexible with times, and I don't think you'll have a problem. Good luck, and have a great trip
JeanetteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

Flying Fish would be fine with 3 kids. A few years ago I had a very enjoyable solo meal there while seated next to a family with 3 little girls all under 8. The mother brought colored pipe cleaners for them to play with and throughout dinner they made me several different things. We were seated in the back room on the left side that looks like a cabana. It was a nice way to strike up a conversation.

There are always a decent amount of kids there and it's noisy enough on its own that you really can't pick out any noise from kids, in my opinion.

Good luck!
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Try Il Mulino, I have heard there is potential to eat there without a reservation and they just recently did a glowing review on the DIS unplugged podcast. The food looks delicious. We are now going on our upcoming trip (and we will have a toddler in tow). But we also LOVE Chefs de France and I see you have noted that you don't like it.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Biergarten is one our favorites and a must-do every trip. The kids can dance to the music up front on the dance floor too.
The Brown Derby is a signature restaurant - we prefer Sci-Fi and 50's Prime Time Cafe at HS and they would probably be better with kids.
I have always wanted to try Kouzzina at the Boardwalk, that might be worth a shot.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

How about Capts Grille. Usually easy to get into. Even Crews Cup Lounge has a nice menu. I don't know about a kids menu tho! For any restaurant that requires a deposit, you might get lucky the day before or even that day. But....? Have you tried RFC on your AK day? We like it and the kids will like the theme! Call them direct if you can't get a ressie thru Disney! ENJOY!!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
kiford
DIS Veteran

Can't speak to what is good with kids since we don't have any but... Love Brown Derby for lunch or dinner. Il Mulino is really nice and they have family style dining too which might work well with children. ESPN was, in my opinion, absolutely horrible - I'd have to be starving to try that again. I love Kouzzina but only for breakfast. I've never done other meals there. I can't eat seafood so we've never done Flying Fish but I've heard good things from others who've been there. It's been a long time since we were there during F&G festival but I seem to recall doing only walk ups for dinner and lunch. Occasionally had to wait but was never turned away completely. Captains' Grill is nice to.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
goodferry
DIS Veteran

Brown Derby is a must do for us every trip, and we have four kids! They love it there
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wonder what it is you do for lunch, then? If you went for early lunch ADRs would it help? Or do you *want* to have a lunch reservation? You mentioned lunch in that way, so I sort of wondered if you *wanted* to do lunch but hadn't worked out how to work with the naps.

We've taken DS to Brown Derby (at lunch) since he was 6. We all really like it. HOnestly the only thing "signature" about it are the prices. It looks so nice, so clean and neat and pretty, but you see all sorts of clothing styles there, and kids have been there every time we've gone (especially since we've always had DS with us). Last visit there was an infant in a stroller between the parents' table and ours; well I assume there was an infant in the stroller...it was apparently napping through the whole meal. We're vegetarian so all we get there is the coconut tofu noodle bowl, and DS loves their whole wheat grilled cheese, so we're all happy there. (I would NEVER use the dining plan there, though, given what we eat there!)

Not at a park, and it might not interest you, but we recently had the fondue at Territory Lounge in Wilderness Lodge, and we all loved it. And it's a really generous serving, too. DS loved being in the quiet loungey atmosphere (just like I used to love being in the sort of grownup-feeling atmospheres of lounges) and it was comfy, casual, and good.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: