Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Tigger7570
Happiness is OKW

Sanaa

Hi:
I would like to try Sanaa because DH would love to sit and watch the zebras, etc. however we have never eaten this type of food. We have eaten at Jiko's. we have done the buffet several times and like it. However we don't like spicy, I.e like Louisiana style or Mexican. Would we be able to get something that's not spicy? Can anyone tell me what the Tamoori chicken and buttered chicken are like? Also the short ribs. Thank you.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

If you are interested in Sanaa only because you want the option of seeing animals from your table, remember these points:

Not all the tables are windowside, and some will not have a view.

After sunset it is not possible to see out the windows.

And you can order a plain burger or steak if you want.
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger7570 View Post
Hi:
I would like to try Sanaa because DH would love to sit and watch the zebras, etc. however we have never eaten this type of food. We have eaten at Jiko's. we have done the buffet several times and like it. However we don't like spicy, I.e like Louisiana style or Mexican. Would we be able to get something that's not spicy? Can anyone tell me what the Tamoori chicken and buttered chicken are like? Also the short ribs. Thank you.
DH and DD both LOVE the buttered chicken and short ribs. They never said anything about them being spicy, so you would probably be ok. I always get the Tomato Soup (I know that sounds so boring but it's great!). The bread service is great also.

Like it was stated above, you may not be at a window, so make sure you really want to try the food. DD usually will head outside to see the animals while we wait to be seated.
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I don't like spicy food either. But if you stick with the Tandoori chicken or Tandoori shrimp, those aren't spicy. However, I ate at Sanaa for lunch with an Animal Keeper and I found all the curry offerings to be way too spicy for me.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

If you are primarily interested in seeing the wildlife, then I would recommend that you eat elsewhere and then visit the animal viewing areas at the resort. Most of the dishes offered at Sanaa are not nearly as spicy as authentic Indian cuisine, but would probably not sit well with your palate.

Tandoori chicken is not spicy. The steak would be another option. Butter chicken has a pronounced curry flavour. Not necessarily hot, but definitely spicy.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
. . . Not all the tables are windowside, and some will not have a view . . . And you can order a plain burger or steak if you want.

From our Sanaa review:
There's eight savannah window tables and six more with good views. For
lunch, try the Lamb Kefta open face sandwich; for dinner, try the beef
and lamb. Don't miss out on the Banana Kulfi Sundae. We really like the
bread appy/sampler, as well as the salad sampler with three of the salads -
either feeds two people. Be aware that items labeled as "Durban" are
highly spiced, and best washed down with cold milk!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
tinkerhon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger7570 View Post
Hi:
We loved everything there, and we are not big fans of spicy food either--- The bread service was amazing--- have your server pick the spreads that arent spicy--- we had the short ribs, and buttered chicken, (along with the shrimp), and all were amazing !!!!
tinkerhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Silver19
Avocado Margarita

I'd say Sanaa was my biggest disappointment over my last 6 visits to WDW. We took a cab over from the Boardwalk where we stay expecting an excellent Indian meal (and we eat Indian a lot). The ratings were excellent across the board so I was very excited. Yet I'd say my meal was average at best. The cauliflower appetizer was inedible, and cauliflower is my favorite vegetable. The rest of the food was acceptable.

We had a window seat but there was a fence in front of it.

The best part was the bread service appetizer. If I ever go back (and that's doubtful), I'd order only that along with a nice bottle of wine.
Silver19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Tigger7570
Happiness is OKW

Thank you for the replies. We actually visit the animal viewing every time we come. I just thought it would be fun for DH to eat there and see the animals. I know they wouldn't guarantee seating. I also thought we would like to try the food. I think we'll give a try. We like to try somewhere we haven't been each trip. Again thank you for all the input.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver19 View Post
I'd say Sanaa was my biggest disappointment over my last 6 visits to WDW. We took a cab over from the Boardwalk where we stay expecting an excellent Indian meal (and we eat Indian a lot). The ratings were excellent across the board so I was very excited. Yet I'd say my meal was average at best. The cauliflower appetizer was inedible, and cauliflower is my favorite vegetable. The rest of the food was acceptable.

We had a window seat but there was a fence in front of it.

The best part was the bread service appetizer. If I ever go back (and that's doubtful), I'd order only that along with a nice bottle of wine.
That was the best part of our meal as well although I thought there was way too much oil on the bread (didn't need that much nor did I think any of the dips were "spectacular"... glad to know we were the only ones disappointed with this place, every time I mention this on the boards I get flamed

...we had so looked forward to going there after the rave reviews only to have a "not so good" experience. We may give it a try again for dinner (we went for lunch and had a lovely window seat which was the best part of the meal) but getting dd back there again will be a challenge and quite frankly if we go back to AKL I'd MUCH RATHER go to Boma or Jiko.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
LeahA
DIS Veteran

We have been here 3 times, 2 times for lunch and 1 time for dinner. I have ordered the sustainable fish everytime. 1st time heaven, 2nd time good, 3rd time good. Service, 1st time good, 2nd time o.k., 3rd time great!

My ds who is 15 claims that this is the best burger on property. It wasn't on the dinner menu, but they let him order it anyway.

We enjoy the bread service, some of the dips that come with is can be spicy so check with your waiter if you order.

My husband does the tandori style meals and always enjoys them.
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

There are plenty of non-spicy options. Your server can help you identify which ones might work best.

If the animals are your goal, I agree wth PPs, do lunch (not dinner).
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

I love Sanaa! I had the Tandoori Chicken sandwich, it was amazing. Think of it like a flatbread version of a chicken gyro. It isn't spicy. The chicken has a very good flavor, it is on an african bread (similar to a pita) with greens, mint, cucumber, tomatoes, a cucumber sauce and a tandoori sauce. I would highly reccomend this dish

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P00H1010 View Post
I love Sanaa! I had the Tandoori Chicken sandwich, it was amazing. Think of it like a flatbread version of a chicken gyro. It isn't spicy. The chicken has a very good flavor, it is on an african bread (similar to a pita) with greens, mint, cucumber, tomatoes, a cucumber sauce and a tandoori sauce. I would highly reccomend this dish
I wish they had this on the dinner menu.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Sanaa is not an Indian restaurant. It is billed as African with Indian influences. If you go expecting an Indian restaurant you will be disappointed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: