DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
blondietink
DIS Veteran

the last time we stayed at BCV's the only soap we received was liquid dish soap. No shampoo, no conditioner, no body wash, no dishwasher soap. Nothing. Even a call to housekeeping produced nothing. Very bad.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
the last time we stayed at BCV's the only soap we received was liquid dish soap. No shampoo, no conditioner, no body wash, no dishwasher soap. Nothing. Even a call to housekeeping produced nothing. Very bad.
IMO that's unacceptable. My experience is that Disney is pretty good at handling such matters but not great. However, essentially every other timeshare I've ever stayed at where they had to opportunity to take care of an issue did better than DVC does. Again, not that I've had a lot of issues with DVC, just that others tend to do better. Plus most of the others actually give a phone call back to make sure everything was actually taken care of. My interpretation is that members and exchangers have opportunities to rate the resorts and that the other resorts are more worried about what you think and say than is Disney/DVC. For example, Marriott resorts compete among themselves for owner, exchanger and member satisfaction ratings. It shows in other areas as well. We were in Aruba in Jan/Feb at a Marriott and they had a weekly event where the managers for each Dept mingled and talked with the owners there. This type of meeting is common for most Marriott's.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #18
nabi
Home at Disney often!

Massages are poor without lotion.... it's kept in our OL.
nabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I'd bet that the % of people using body wash is far higher (like 10-20 times or more) than those using the lotion during the visit.
I'm positive you are correct since they provide one but not the other.

If what I've seen provided in the last couple of years at other places gives any indication then I don't know if that would be a correct assumption though.

Motels - shampoo, conditioner and soap.
Hotels - shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion (my experience just in the last couple years - there have been cutbacks).
Higher end hotels - shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, body wash, maybe toothpaste, cottonballs, qtips and every now and then a shower cap, a shoe shiner and a little darning kit but the last 3 are getting more rare.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #20
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
I'm positive you are correct since they provide one but not the other.

If what I've seen provided in the last couple of years at other places gives any indication then I don't know if that would be a correct assumption though.

Motels - shampoo, conditioner and soap.
Hotels - shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion (my experience just in the last couple years - there have been cutbacks).
Higher end hotels - shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, body wash, maybe toothpaste, cottonballs, qtips and every now and then a shower cap, a shoe shiner and a little darning kit but the last 3 are getting more rare.
My statement was if both were present, not the forced situation. I'm sure a lot of people here see hotels and different levels of hotels more than I do but I'm comfortable that I've seen quite a few over the years and timeshares more than most here. My impression is that over the past 20-25 years we've seen a dramatic increase in conditioner, a moderate decrease in lotion and a significant increase in shower gel. I think the shower gel is more hit or miss but in the early years of our experience we never saw it and now it's quite common for nicer places though I know it's a more recent trend in general. My interpretation of those changes overall was a combination of cost and demand but that lotion was always the cheapest of those options and he least in demand. I often stay at varying places where the owners are on site and often workers, I'll have to start asking about this issue when the opportunity arises.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
mathgeek
DIS Veteran

It's funny b/c this is something that has bothered me ever since I bought into DVC. I don't use the lotion much while I'm at WDW, but I like the travel size bottles to put in my purse or have at work. So I collected enough bottles for my liking with non-DVC stays (and asking for extra) or staying at BLT where they did have them and now just buy the H2O lotion to refill them.

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney
mathgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
I don't mind packing my own lotion. However, I should not have to pack my own toilet paper! I don't remember it being bad at WDW in the past. However, the stuff they were passing off as t.p. at the Grand Californian last month was horrible!

I know it's weird, but I actually bring our own Charmin TP with us, because the stuff at the DVC resorts is so harsh. I always feel weird either packing it in our suitcase, or adding it to our grocery order, but I'd rather be comfortable!

Oh..and the lotion thing bugs me too. After a long day in the sun and with the amount of walking one does at the parks, lotion would be highly appreciated and necessary!

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #23
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

The only Disney toiletries we use are the bars of soap for hand-washing at the sink. Everything else we use comes out of our owner's locker. So the change away from providing lotion didn't impact us.

I'm just glad the soap has been decent from the past few vendors. Who remembers the "Lisa" soap, that looked like someone had carved the word "Lisa" in it with a butter knife or something? The round Mickey soaps were really cool (we still use them in our guest bathroom), but getting the plastic off was worse than opening a CD case. It used to frustrate me to all ends. My all-time favorite, though, were the bars of soap that had whole caraway or fennel seeds embedded throughout them. DVC used them for the longest time. It made washing sunburned skin almost as fun as being scratched by a cat. I still don't know what they were thinking with that one.

What the heck... while I'm this far , who remembers the handful of pink "sand" you used to get from the dispensers when washing your hands in the parks?

What was this thread about? Oh yeah... lotion.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeferjen View Post
I totally agree with this. Who uses body wash???
My DH does. He's from Europe and I think it's more common there to use shower gel or body wash in the shower than it is here in the US. It's supposed to be better for your skin than soap (less drying) and better for your tub (no ring) but since I don't use it myself I can't say whether or not that's true. Perhaps it's there because so many of WDW's guests are from outside the US.

I have always thought it was odd that there is no lotion at the DVC resorts. Other places we stay offer it. We always got it on our pre-DVC stays at WDW hotels. I bought some lotion at Basin to keep in my Owners Locker and before that I just brought some of my leftover lotion from stays at other hotels.

What I would appreciate more than lotion is another little bottle of the solar relief gel that we got on our AKV Concierge stay. We do use sunscreen but sometimes I miss a spot and that stuff was very soothing.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
DisneyFreaks
Don't get me started about those darn busses!

We were in a GV at OKW this past november and we had enough bottles of everything to supply a small drug store. I was amazed. We bring our own toiletries from home but I did love that grapefruit scented lotion and used it alot. I'll miss it if we don't have it this time around.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post

What the heck... while I'm this far , who remembers the handful of pink "sand" you used to get from the dispensers when washing your hands in the parks?
I do! Our local public library still has the soap sand.

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Disney in the winter months pains my hands from being out in the drying wind. I recall desperately seeking out lotion one trip only to find it was sold out everywhere I looked with only the testers remaining. (I loved those testers). It never occurred to me to head to the Basin in DtD. I now make sure to bring suntan lotion with me even in the winter months which can double as hand lotion if I'm desperate for lotion.

It would be nice if we could choose the items supplied in room. We use the soaps and shower gel but don't touch the shampoo or conditioners as we bring our own. A lotion option would have been very welcome.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #28
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggipolka View Post
I do! Our local public library still has the soap sand.
Ted's, the restaurant chain, still uses this.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
kylmac
Mouseketeer

Over Christmas this past year, we stayed at BLT and had all of the toiletries. I love the grapefruit scented hand lotion, shampoo, and conditioner. My husband hops in the tub the first night and squeezes all of the body wash out and uses it as bubble bath. Thank goodness my kids are older or they might not be happy with that arrangement.
Elizabeth
kylmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #30
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Just returned from BWV. There was body lotion when we checked in, but it was not replenished on our trash and towel day. Only received the shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.
eeyoresmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: