Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #91
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousseauMob View Post
Add San Francisco and Astoria and they could be longer 7 night. Other cruise lines do it, and they don't have the Disneyland tie in. I'd be all over that, I'd love a Pacific Coast cruise.
They tried Pacific Coast cruises. Apparently those didn't work, either, even with the Pixar theme. They need to introduce themselves to the market with more shorter cruises and only the occasional 7-night cruise as a specialty, especially if they're not going to be in SoCal during summer.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #92
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I would love to tie in a 3 or 4 day cruise out of LA with a Disneyland trip if the price wasn't too outrageous. A lot of people have a week for vacation and will spend 3 or 4 days at Disneyland, then move on to Universal, Seaworld, Legoland, the sights in Hollywood, etc because the Anaheim resort just isn't as big as Orlando. There are a few people who stay for a week at a time, but most folks feel like they can "do" Disneyland in a few days. Disneyland doesn't even sell tickets for longer than 5 days anymore! 3 days at Disney then a 4 day cruise would be a perfect vacation for our family!
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #93
Seamama
Mouseketeer

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
I would love to tie in a 3 or 4 day cruise out of LA with a Disneyland trip if the price wasn't too outrageous. A lot of people have a week for vacation and will spend 3 or 4 days at Disneyland, then move on to Universal, Seaworld, Legoland, the sights in Hollywood, etc because the Anaheim resort just isn't as big as Orlando. There are a few people who stay for a week at a time, but most folks feel like they can "do" Disneyland in a few days. Disneyland doesn't even sell tickets for longer than 5 days anymore! 3 days at Disney then a 4 day cruise would be a perfect vacation for our family!
I couldn't agree more! This would be perfect for our family. Or even 2 days at Disneyland and 5 days on a cruise would be great for us. It seems to me having (and marketing) some package deals like this would be exactly the right way to introduce DCL to people.... I hope someone from DCL reads this boards and uses all our posts as free market research :-)
Seamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #94
Seamama
Mouseketeer

Another yes!

Quote:
Wouldn't it be awesome if they took 3 weeks out of the Alaska season (maybe in early summer when the weather often isn't great yet) and did 2 one way sailings from Vancouver to Hawaii and back? 10 or 11 days would give you 5 days for the islands and 5 or 6 days at sea and the one way would be legal if it started or ended in Vancouver. I know the Alaska cruises are a big money-maker for DCL and they won't likely change it, there are a few of us out there who aren't really that keen on Alaska and would like to go somewhere different in the summer without having to pay for a transatlantic flight.
Yes, we would totally do this! And I saw another post recommending a tie-in to Aulani, which I also think would be great. What I love about the one-way to Hawaii, too, is that (at least I'm guessing) that a lot of people would want to stay in Hawaii a bit longer than those round-trip cruises allow for. So this would leave things open ended for folks to either stay at Aulani a few days and go home OR stick around and explore around Hawaii for even longer. Love, love, love, it!
Seamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #95
MousseauMob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
They tried Pacific Coast cruises. Apparently those didn't work, either, even with the Pixar theme.
Ahhh, I must have missed these.

Quote:
I'd be all over this!

05/2014 DCL 9 Day Alaska, 04/13 Galveston to WDW, 09/12 HAL Alaska, 04/12 DCL Inaugural Hawaiian Cruise, 09/2011 DL GC and Universal, 05/2011 HAL Alaska, 09/2010 HAL Alaska, 05/2008 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera, 09/2007 DL GC, 04/2007 Celebrity Hawaii, 10/2005 DL GC (Trick or Treat), 06/2005 DCL Magic Mexican Riviera Cruise, 02/2004 DL GC, 01/2003 DL GC, 12/1999 DL PP, 10/1997 DL PP, 05/1995 WDW Dolphin and that big red boat
MousseauMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #96
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Just my opinion, but over the past couple of years or so it just seems to us that Disney is not "open" to seeking more new ports and changing it up with the Eastern and Western. I'm not in the industry, but when I see other cruiselines constantly changing their itineraries year to year, I feel that Disney just does not want to do the work to get licenses/permits for new ports

Makes me wonder if they sail out of New Orleans if they would finally add new ports like Belize, or whether we'd still be stuck with the same western and eastern itineraries.

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #97
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
Just my opinion, but over the past couple of years or so it just seems to us that Disney is not "open" to seeking more new ports and changing it up with the Eastern and Western. I'm not in the industry, but when I see other cruiselines constantly changing their itineraries year to year, I feel that Disney just does not want to do the work to get licenses/permits for new ports

Makes me wonder if they sail out of New Orleans if they would finally add new ports like Belize, or whether we'd still be stuck with the same western and eastern itineraries.
They're trying. Houston was a new port that didn't work. Last year they tried Hawaii, twice. They also pulled out of the Mexican Riviera cruises when the drug cartels scared away the tourists. They tried the Baltic, but haven't been back. The med cruises seem to be doing better, at least they're returning there next year. Alaska seems to be successful, even if they can't get permits to sail into Glacier Bay.

DCL was originally designed to just sail WDW customers to a private island, but their cruises became so popular they added more ships to the fleet. So they're still working out the growing pains. Better advertising would help. So would lower prices that are more in line with the rest of the industry.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #98
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
They're trying. Houston was a new port that didn't work. Last year they tried Hawaii, twice. They also pulled out of the Mexican Riviera cruises when the drug cartels scared away the tourists. They tried the Baltic, but haven't been back. The med cruises seem to be doing better, at least they're returning there next year. Alaska seems to be successful, even if they can't get permits to sail into Glacier Bay.

DCL was originally designed to just sail WDW customers to a private island, but their cruises became so popular they added more ships to the fleet. So they're still working out the growing pains. Better advertising would help. So would lower prices that are more in line with the rest of the industry.
Yes, I am well aware that Disney has made great efforts overseas and kudos to them for keeping up with the industry. I think they will constantly be testing Hawaii in order to market Aulani.

But I was strictly speaking about Caribbean itineraries, not the U.S. ports they leave from. Let's face it, other than the VERY rare change (like adding San Juan or doing the 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise back in 2006), Disney has made very very very few changes to the Eastern and Western itineraries. After more than 14 years sailing those itineraries, I would think they could (by now) have altered the itineraries completely and not just add a port every other year or so. JMO

And you are very right on about pricing -- I have many friends and co-workers who want desperately to take their families on a Disney cruise, but they cannot afford it. They have sought out Carnival and NCL and RCCL instead. They get great itineraries for half what Disney wants. And they don't have the ridiculous pricing tier that Disney does where prices escalate by the thousands in one 24-hour period! Oh well, here's hoping their pricing will level off and when it does, we'll book another.

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #99
lucas
°o°

Quote:
Yes, I am well aware that Disney has made great efforts overseas and kudos to them for keeping up with the industry. I think they will constantly be testing Hawaii in order to market Aulani.

But I was strictly speaking about Caribbean itineraries, not the U.S. ports they leave from. Let's face it, other than the VERY rare change (like adding San Juan or doing the 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise back in 2006), Disney has made very very very few changes to the Eastern and Western itineraries. After more than 14 years sailing those itineraries, I would think they could (by now) have altered the itineraries completely and not just add a port every other year or so. JMO

And you are very right on about pricing -- I have many friends and co-workers who want desperately to take their families on a Disney cruise, but they cannot afford it. They have sought out Carnival and NCL and RCCL instead. They get great itineraries for half what Disney wants. And they don't have the ridiculous pricing tier that Disney does where prices escalate by the thousands in one 24-hour period! Oh well, here's hoping their pricing will level off and when it does, we'll book another.
It is not just Disney. All the cruise lines go to the same Caribbean ports. There are only so many places the big ships can go.

lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #100
Tianni
Tianni Rowley,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermam42 View Post

Well put I have been on the borad for about a year and amazed how much people know.

Hoping for dates out of New Orleans, 56 miles from front door.
56.... I gotcha beat!!! 25!! Bring on the magic or even the wonder!!!

Tianni

Disney Dream 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013, counting the days until The Disney Magic in 2014!

Have you ever Wondered where you could
have you every Dream come true?
The most incredible Fantasy become reality?
A Magical adventure that only Disney can give you.

I canNOT wait!!
Tianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #101
sabrecmc
DIS Veteran

Weren't the NYC cruises really successful? I can see them wanting to go back there. We did one of the Canada cruises out of NYC and combined that with a few days in the Big Apple followed by Niagara Falls. It was a wonderful trip! Cruise seemed really busy, but I think the ones that went south instead of north out of NYC were even more popular.

I'd personally love a Baltic cruise, but a ship leaving out of NOLA would be great! That is only about 3 hours from us, so we wouldn't even need a hotel the night before, though I don't think I could resist staying at least a night in NOLA!
sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #102
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Doesn't this also have something to do with new port fees or regulations?
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #103
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceressk View Post
Lol! DCL is full of hunny badgers
We need a Honey Badger thread!

Honey Badger wears what he wants on formal night.

Honey Badger smokes all day and night on his verandah.

Honey Badger brings Baby Honey Badger to Adults Only areas.

GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #104
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My survey was all about which ports I had already been to and which ones I would go back to and why. They didn't mention Roatan (boo! LOVE that) but it had quite a few on there. I think they are interested in pursuing other itineraries. CCL can do it because they have a bajillion ships...if you want to go on them.. initeraries are the only good thing going for them. And my friends picked our CCL Dream to go to Nassau, St Thomas & St Maarten! Wow! I'm pretty sure DCL goes there LIKE EVERY WEEK...

Come on DCL! Pick NOLA!!!

Btw Belize...pretty much a let down...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #105
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Made me laugh. I feel the same way. At least you're ok with 3-5 nights. I did an 11 night back in 2007. Now nothing else measures up. Anything less than 7 just doesn't feel long enough.

Jodie
Oh no! Not again!

GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: