Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #856
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post

lol...I think we have now all, at this point, decided that DCL *will* in fact cruise the Baltic, it's just ironing out the details.

Although I am a little bit bothered by the thought of a purely Norway itinerary flip flopping with the Baltics (and then the Med thrown in at the end). It would be difficult to decide, but I think I would have to choose the Baltics, because you cover more territory so to speak. In 2010, didn't they switch off Tallinn with Helsinki instead of doing both on the same cruise?
Yes, they alternated.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #857
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranidayz View Post
Anyone have any thoughts about Jamaica?
yes- i went to Hedonism when i was single- lotta fun....
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #858
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by llqool View Post
lol...I think we have now all, at this point, decided that DCL *will* in fact cruise the Baltic, it's just ironing out the details.

Although I am a little bit bothered by the thought of a purely Norway itinerary flip flopping with the Baltics (and then the Med thrown in at the end). It would be difficult to decide, but I think I would have to choose the Baltics, because you cover more territory so to speak. In 2010, didn't they switch off Tallinn with Helsinki instead of doing both on the same cruise?
I'll be honest if they switched Tallinn for Helsinki, it would be enough for us not too book the entire cruise....
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #859
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Wow. There are seem to be a lot of great choices for 2015. Now I just need to decide on one! Wanted to go to the Med, but now leaning more towards the Baltics or Norway. How to decide on which one when they both sound amazing? Might have to start playing megabucks.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #860
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
I'll be honest if they switched Tallinn for Helsinki, it would be enough for us not too book the entire cruise....
Just curious as to why? We did Tallinn in 2010 and got off the ship expecting the worst (I know we're horrible but it was former Eastern Europe bloc country- we were expecting dark alleys, secret mafia hits, one wrong turn and you end up never seen again). Instead it was unbelievably charming, beautiful and open. We had booked a DCL excursion with the need for extreme safety and ended up leaving halfway through the walking tour because we wanted to explore and felt very comfortable (we had a 2 year old and my 60 ish mother with us too).

I know there is a dark side to Estonia, like every major city, but the tourist spots appeared safer than a lot of the Carribbean ports. It's one of our favorite ports of all time.

I was just curious though as everyone has different impressions and maybe a sword was hanging over our heads unknowingly.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #861
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
Just curious as to why? We did Tallinn in 2010 and got off the ship expecting the worst (I know we're horrible but it was former Eastern Europe bloc country- we were expecting dark alleys, secret mafia hits, one wrong turn and you end up never seen again). Instead it was unbelievably charming, beautiful and open. We had booked a DCL excursion with the need for extreme safety and ended up leaving halfway through the walking tour because we wanted to explore and felt very comfortable (we had a 2 year old and my 60 ish mother with us too).

I know there is a dark side to Estonia, like every major city, but the tourist spots appeared safer than a lot of the Carribbean ports. It's one of our favorite ports of all time.

I was just curious though as everyone has different impressions and maybe a sword was hanging over our heads unknowingly.

Thanks to Calfan's videos I have a couple of child that is dying to see Santa's summer home.
sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #862
klepton
Mouseketeer

I'm curious if anyone knows, but I was looking at an RCCL Nordic cruise that included a sea day cruising the arctic circle. Is that pretty typical of nordic cruises? Does snyone know the likelihood that DCL would do this is well?
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #863
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

I wish, purely selfishly, that they were cruising a ever so much later as well since we were planning on finally going to Oktoberfest in Munich in 2015. Even if we hit up the last cruise they do that year 11 days between disembarking and getting to Munich is too long to wait! Oh, if only there was ONE MORE WEEK! And it was somehow that Norway Fjords one of course...
Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #864
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just curious as to why? We did Tallinn in 2010 and got off the ship expecting the worst (I know we're horrible but it was former Eastern Europe bloc country- we were expecting dark alleys, secret mafia hits, one wrong turn and you end up never seen again). Instead it was unbelievably charming, beautiful and open. We had booked a DCL excursion with the need for extreme safety and ended up leaving halfway through the walking tour because we wanted to explore and felt very comfortable (we had a 2 year old and my 60 ish mother with us too). I know there is a dark side to Estonia, like every major city, but the tourist spots appeared safer than a lot of the Carribbean ports. It's one of our favorite ports of all time. I was just curious though as everyone has different impressions and maybe a sword was hanging over our heads unknowingly.
Sorry I actually meant if the ship went to Helsinki not Tallinn. From the UK I can fly to Helsinki cheaply on frequent services, not so much to Tallinn. I am excited to see Tallinn exactly for the reasons you described so much so that I would consider not booking a DCL cruise I have been praying for and going with another line if they didn't go to Tallinn
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #865
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

. . . We did Tallinn in 2010
. . . it was unbelievably charming, beautiful and open.
. . . It's one of our favorite ports of all time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post

. . . I am excited to see Tallinn exactly for the reasons you described
We visited Tallinn in 2010 and were delighted with it's charming character. We explored on our own and felt safe the entire time.

It was such a contrast from St Petersburg (where tours are mandatory, and our guide pointed out pickpockets. The pickpockets "worked" the busy tourist sites by walking up right behind tour groups as if to listen in.)

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #866
denise
The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page.............I look for dead people....

When we did the Baltic in 2010 St. Petersburg was a favorite stop. Two days was not enough. Another Diser and I hired a private guide for the two days. We gave them a list of what we wanted to see and we saw it all!!! The most beautiful weather too.
On our return I was taking a photography class and my teacher asked if I had photoshopped the blue skies in my photos...lol...I had not..She said she had been to all the same places and never saw a blue sky..

The time in Sweden was TOO short. Wish we had more time there...

Berlin was indeed an adventure with the train not being able to pick us up and about 500+ arriving to the ship 2-3+ hours late!!!

So looking forward to the announcement about Europe but also hoping for Hawaii in the mix somewhere!!
DVC Member since 1992, Old Key West; been to:Disneyland;WDW; DL Paris; DisneySea Tokyo; Lunch at Club 33 on June 12, 2005, July 26,2008 & April 12, 2010. Breakfast at Club 33 with the DIS Unplugged and ABD group April 16, 2010. Sailed on the Magic:September 1999; First Disney cruise to Mexico to avoid Hurricane Floyd;. Sept 2-9, 2001. At WDW on 9-11;Sept 2003, First Disney cruise to go to Costa Maya;June 4-11 2005, Mexican Cruise from CA;07-07-07 MED Cruise; July 6, 2010, Baltic Cruise.Wonder: Repo Cruise April 27, 2011, LA to Vancouver, Alaska July 5-12, 2011, Maiden Voyage Fantasy March 31-April 7, 2012: Wonder: October 7-14, 2012, up the coast of California, The Pixar Cruise, The First Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk aboard a cruise ship, October 13, 2012, Magic:Venice/Greece/Barcelona Repo July 14, 2014, Norway/Iceland Repo June 29, 2015, Wonder: Hawaii to Vancouver Sept 17, 2015 and maybe Vancouver to San Diego if the powers that be allow it!
denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #867
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise View Post
When we did the Baltic in 2010 St. Petersburg was a favorite stop. Two days was not enough. Another Diser and I hired a private guide for the two days. We gave them a list of what we wanted to see and we saw it all!!! The most beautiful weather too.
On our return I was taking a photography class and my teacher asked if I had photoshopped the blue skies in my photos...lol...I had not..She said she had been to all the same places and never saw a blue sky..

The time in Sweden was TOO short. Wish we had more time there...

Berlin was indeed an adventure with the train not being able to pick us up and about 500+ arriving to the ship 2-3+ hours late!!!

So looking forward to the announcement about Europe but also hoping for Hawaii in the mix somewhere!!

I also enjoyed St Petersburg a great stop we out do much in on two days and we went with private guides, as well as the Hermitage and the palaces we went on the hydrofoil, we went shopping and we went on their underground railway.
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #868
DISNEY FANTASY

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

Quote:

I also loved Tallinn we went around the town with a DCL CM and had a great time, this was a great port of call.
* Disney Magic -
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #869
JoyB-UK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
We visited Tallinn in 2010 and were delighted with it's charming character. We explored on our own and felt safe the entire time.

It was such a contrast from St Petersburg (where tours are mandatory, and our guide pointed out pickpockets. The pickpockets "worked" the busy tourist sites by walking up right behind tour groups as if to listen in.)

Woody
It was the same for us with St Petersburg, we never felt comfortable, it wasn't very welcoming and despite the guide going on about being careful about pickpockets two people had there wallets stolen.
Disneyland - 2011
DCL 2010 7 night Western Caribbean, 2011 7 night Med, 2013 4 night Med, 2014 12 night Med, 2014 4 night Med
coming up 2015 Halloween in the Bahamas and WDW
Other Cruises - Baltics Vision of the Seas 2012, Adventure of the Seas 2013, Norway Independence of the Seas 2013
Non Cruise Trips - Barbados, Cuba, New York, LA & Las Vegas, Gambia, Tunisia, Thailand, Berlin, Paris, Majorca, etc.
JoyB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #870
DISNEY FANTASY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyB-UK View Post
It was the same for us with St Petersburg, we never felt comfortable, it wasn't very welcoming and despite the guide going on about being careful about pickpockets two people had there wallets stolen.
I think that's why it's better for a private tour four of us with a guide close by so less chance of any issue, more fast moving and less of a target and the pickpockets most likely know we have a Russian with us.
* Disney Magic -

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: