Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Kalea
Mouseketeer

I don't have any useful information or suggestions.

But I'm on weight watchers, and had been on the plan for 6 months when DH & I traveled to Italy in February. I took a complete break and spent 10 days eating whatever I wanted--pastries, wine, pasta, gelato, etc.

We did quite a bit of walking, but nothing super strenuous. I gained 5 lbs total. It took me 2 weeks to get back to my pre-trip weight and get back on track with WW.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

I'm another lucky one who always comes home from Disney a few pounds lighter even though I eat a horrifying amount of sugar. 7 pounds on the last trip. I credit the walking. We averaged just over 10 miles a day on our last trip.

I do not follow any formal diet rules at Disney but do tend to (1) split all of my treats with my husband, (2) only eat when I'm actually hungry (and stop when I've had enough); and (3) only eat those things I really want. The last one is key for me - I don't worry about nutrition on vacation and I don't waste calories on things I don't really want. That may mean I have a bowl of soup and dessert for dinner or a soft pretzel and a dark chocolate caramel for lunch. I'm not a huge eater and I know that I won't usually be hungry for snacks and dessert if I eat full entrees. Kids meals are great for breakfast.

Finally, it helps that my eternally thin husband is a vacuum cleaner and will happily finish everything when I decide I want one bite of every treat that is available in Epcot. So I don't have to choose between waste and waist. (Sorry for the bad pun - it is late and I'm feeling punchy)

One more thing.... I think it is more important to resume eating healthily the minute you get back from vacation than it is to worry about exactly what you are eating while you are away.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJoy View Post
I always gain weight by 1 pound per day. It doesn't matter if it is a long trip or short, eat a ton or a little. Disney food makes me puffy and swollen. Last 10-day trip in October, I lost 4 lbs. after returning from Disney by just not eating Disney food.
That's the sodium!!!!

My tips...

Watch the sodium (aka, watch the bread and bakery items)

Which in turn will turn down the carbs

Drink lots of water to counteract the sodium

Olive oil and lemon makes wonderful salad dressing

Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #19
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

I don't know if this will work for everyone.. But DH and I LOST 7lbs each over a week at WDW!!

But DH and I do a version of the Akins diet.. (Not by choice, it just happens)
Both DH and I LOVE steak/ prime rib..
So we don't eat very much during the day.. Saving room for our big meal TS of the day..

By looking at what we ate last time we Really did stay away from the the bread..

Morning we will have some ham and few eggs..
Lunch do a taco salad..
Dinner we order steak or prime rib.
We both eat our steak or prime rib 1st.. So by the time we get around to the side dishes we are just FULL FULL FULL..

O yes! Lots and lots of water!!!
We only ever drink water, milk or juice...

( we try to set a good example for our kids by not drinking soda why we are on vacation) plus I don't want to deal with a sugar crash later..

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barahona6 View Post
Me and my good Friend that is going on Princess weekend with me in May have both started a Weight Loss Challenge. Our trip is smack in the middle of our challenge. We have to weigh in every Sunday and post our weight. I am sure the hotel will have a scale at the gym or at least I hope!

Can anyone point me in the direction of calorie friendly places to eat. I would hate to sabotage our hard work. Although the Conewiches may have to be a cheat, perhaps shared among us all!
Stick with the same plan you're on at home and remember that 99% of Disney food does NOT taste nearly as good as it looks so it's not worth the calories or fat grams.

Truth.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #21
GenGen22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaldiva

Stick with the same plan you're on at home and remember that 99% of Disney food does NOT taste nearly as good as it looks so it's not worth the calories or fat grams.

Truth.
This is very true. I've realized this the hard way...

Summer Vacations:
DL offsite 1976 & 1979, DL Best Western Raffles 2004 & 2005, DL Radisson Suites Hotel Buena Park 2010 & 2014, DL Hampton Inn & Suites 2013
Christmas time Vacations:
DL Embassy Suites Anaheim South 2009, WDW POP Century 2011
GenGen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #22
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

I've moved this thread to the W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) board.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #23
tony609
"I've Gotta Show To Do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoying Life View Post

WOW! congratulations on the weight loss.. It's a lifestyle change and not a diet.. Kudos to you.
Thanks. Yes, this is something I have learned. I know now what a portion size looks like, I know now fast food is fat food LOL, I know how to listen to my body tell me I'm hungry And noIt eat out of boredom. I have learned its ok not to clean my plate and that my favorite foods aren't going anywhere I don't have to eat them every week/ everyday. Drink water too. Things most know but as usual I was late to the party.
9/07,10/08,10/09,9/10,11/10,9/11,9/12, 5/13,5/13,9/13,5/14

DL-5/05, 5/12

COMING UP WDW-5/14, 9/14

FASTPASS+ THREAD
tony609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #24
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

The last time I was at WDW I was doing low carb and one thing I remember was that most restaurants were more than willing to make substitutions or in some cases omissions (no potato or rice etc). Also don't forget that you don't have to eat everything on your plate, this was hard for me at first!. Good luck!!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #25
Barahona6
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for the advice. I am going to try to do portion control and only drink water. Maybe a salad for lunch with my own salad and then have a regular meal for dinner, which is what I am doing at home now. As much as it would be great to lose while I am there I will be happy to maintain where I am at and not gain!

Me DH Neko(12) Blake(8) T-Rex(6) Rosa(2)
Barahona6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #26
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Just keep doing down there what you do in the real world. Ask how things are prepared, like what sauces come on the main dish or if the side of vegetables is covered in butter. Substitute steamed broccoli for fries or cheesy potatoes and stuff like that. Disney is very good about substitutions. Don't be afraid to split a main course or make a meal for two out of three or four appetizers. If you go to a buffet use the smaller salad plates as opposed to the large dinner plates so you get smaller portions of everything you are eating.

I eat as healthy at Disney (or on any vacation) as I do day to day. Sure, I may have a dessert or two that I normally wouldn't or eat a bit more at a buffet than I would at home but I don't completely throw my lifestyle out the window and eat garbage. Having one or two treats on vacation is normal, completely changing what you normally eat is not in my opinion.

I know people talk about how much they walk at Disney but walking doesn't really burn as many calories as a lot of people think. If you are active and get in a good workout of some sort every day at home walking around the parks isn't really that big of an increase if it is an increase at all.

If you run and hit the gym at home fit in a run or gym time at Disney. I like getting to the Boardwalk early in the morning and doing a short 4-6 mile run. It is the best run on property in my opinion and is a good way to start the day that shouldn't tire you out too much for the day at the park.

The bottom line is just keep up the same good habits you have at home while down there and even with a treat or two you won't completely throw all your progress out the window.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #27
keahgirl8
DIS Veteran

I am just as careful as I can be most of the time and then I allow myself one treat per day. All of the walking definitely helps, but I wouldn't say you can expect to eat whatever you want and still lost because of it. It may work for some people but it didn't for me. The last time I was on WW before this, I ate what I wanted at WDW and gained 7 pounds. This time, I did the best I could to watch what I ate, had a few treats, and lost over 4 pounds.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #28
FirstTimeDisneyVisit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard View Post
Nice but I wouldn't count on it. That's highly unusual unless you were there for a month. Anyone who expects this is in for a rude awakening.

Even though I eat less and walk a good 10 miles per day at Disney, I GAIN weight temporarily, for several reasons.

I normally eat low carb. When I increase my carbs by any amount, I GAIN 2-3 pounds overnight. If you've been eating low carb, you might experience the same.

The heat and extra sodium cause me to retain fluid, which is good for a few pounds.

Increasing my exercise level by such a significant amount damages muscles and ALSO causes temporary water weight gain; damaged muscles hold fluid to heal themselves.

I'm over 60, which can impact weight gain and loss. I also have more problems than most with fluid imbalances. So YMMV. But I normally gain around 5-6 pounds in a week, not just at Disney, but any time I change my eating pattern.

Just wanted to give a realistic picture to whether or not you might lose weight. Walking burns far fewer calories than you think it does. Walking steadily for 3 full hours at 2 mph(a fairly slow pace) burns about 580 calories if you weigh 150 pounds. The trouble is, most of us stop and start when walking at Disney--we don't walk continuously.
LOL i understand your take on this like i said i was shocked ! I been to the world twice both times for 8 days and both times lost weight . No holding back as well turkey legs popcorn all that junk food you shouldn't eat i did Only thing i did different was drink a lot of water , i love soda but substituted it with water on our trips and it seemed to have mad a difference. Either way OP enjoy your trip and have fun !

September 2011 - All Star Sports
September 2012 - Coronado Springs Resort
September 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

FirstTimeDisneyVisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #29
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaldiva View Post

Truth.
I completely agree. If I am able to isolate my sense of taste, I usually find Disney food mediocre at best. HOwever, most often at Disney, I'm eating in the middle of action with music, good smells and plenty to see. In that situation I always overeat and think the food tastes good. Anyway, try to eat very consciously at Disney, don't get swept up in the ambiance.
walkdmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: