Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Elky
Earning My Ears

Harry Potter - Forbiden journey question

it is too scary for 6 and 8 years old?

at which Disney ride can you compare it?
Elky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

My kids rode it last year on their 8th birthday. They loved it. It's hard to compare it to another ride. Soaring and EE? LOL It's a simulator and a coaster with animatronics.

Food & Wine & No Kids ~ A 2nd Honeymoon

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

It's not really comparable to any Disney ride,maybe a little Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom,a little Soarin,anyways it's a great ride and should be tried.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

There is a height requirement for forbidden journey. My now 10 year old granddaughter will ride it every chance she gets. (she was 8 the last time we were there).
Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

It all depends on what they are afraid of. There are giant spiders, dementors, fire breathing dragons, a huge basilisk skeleton, etc. If they are afraid of those things being in very close proximity, then I'd avoid it.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

You really cant compare it to anything at Disney.It is a part simulator/part ride.The ride vehicles are set up so that you can't really see the person next to you( so comforting a scared child is not really possible-though you migh be able to reach their hand ).The vehicles move at various angles as well as having you on your back.There is move screens as well as animatronics and sets.Some of them can be scary ( large spiders, Dementors trying to give you their "kiss" and a fire breathing dragon that you come face to face with)..I road it but my 8 yr old refused to ( She is a bit of a fraidy cat ..Dh rode first and told her about it and when she saw how the benches were set up and that she couldn't see us she backed out)..you know your kids best..Height requirements are 48 inches to ride
Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooshoveller View Post
It's a simulator and a coaster with animatronics.
is there a big drop like there is with a roller coaster?
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic[/FONT][/SIZE]
vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation_junkie View Post
is there a big drop like there is with a roller coaster?
No drops, but sudden dips and swoops.It is not a coaster.The best thing I can say its similar to is The Sum of all Thrills at Epcot , and even that is a stretch.The ride is essentially a Kuka Robotic arm that holds the ride vehicle.It allows the vehicles to move through the ride while also allowing sudden movements in many directions.Here what the ride looks like with the lights on *****SPOILER*******
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRogCGoKSjU
Old 04-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
waikiki
Swiss'Milch'Cow !

It is a mixture of "Sum of all Thrills" slowly moving on rails with film images as Soarin - but... It's unique !
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
CareHeartsDisney
Mouseketeer

Even if your kids choose not to ride it, they could still go through the castle. There is a room where you could do child swap which is just before you get on the ride. If there are two adults and both kids choose to not go on the ride, one adult could go in the room (where they show Harry Potter movies) with the kids while the other adult goes on the ride and then switch when the first adult is done riding.

When my family first went, my youngest DS was afraid to go on. A very nice TM explained the ride to him and told him that he, himself, was afraid of a lot of rides even as a teenager. When my DS told him that he didn't want to ride it, the TM told him that if he changed his mind, he could ride it when his DB and dad were done. My oldest DS was able to ride it twice, once with his dad and once with me. A year later, my youngest son rode it and loved it!

WDW Trips - Offsite: 3/93, 1/94, 3/94, 2/96, 11/12 (MVMCP while visiting Universal Studios); Onsite: 4/95 WL, 11/08 CSR, 11/11 Poly, 10/12 AoA Cars Suite, 2/13 POR, 2/14 POR

Universal Orlando Trips - Offsite: 3/94, 12/97; Onsite: 11/11 HRH, 11/12 HRH, 2/14 PBH
CareHeartsDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

At 6 my son barely wanted to go inside the castle. He was just too spooked.

By the time he was 7 he would go on the ride. The dementors don't bug him but the "acromantula" do, so we have worked out a system where he knows the cue for when the spiders are about to show up (right after the dragon breathes fire), and I squeeze his leg to let him know when to open his eyes again (when you hear Hermione you know it's totally OK).

Of course, until we figured out the *hermione's voice* thing, it meant that I had to keep my eyes open! And I'm FAR more phobic than he is, LOL.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
FantasticalWritings
Earning My Ears

Talking

I've been on it myself, and I found it a little intense. I would think there's height restrictions for the Forbidden Journey.

I think it depends on your children whether a six or eight year old could handle it. I can't really compare it to any rides at Disney. I think a six or eight year old who is too scared to go on Tower of Terror would probably be too afraid to go on the Forbidden Journey. Make your best guess for whether they can do it. If nothing else, they can just walk through the castle.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
glocon
DIS Veteran

My son totally would have road it when he was six- he was a HUGE Harry Potter fan. But he probably would not have rode it a second time . It is pretty scary, and intense. It is like a simulator where the seats dangle and move in all directions. No hills like a coaster. Dark and loud with scary creatures.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
HarleyGirl514
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
At 6 my son barely wanted to go inside the castle. He was just too spooked.

By the time he was 7 he would go on the ride. The dementors don't bug him but the "acromantula" do, so we have worked out a system where he knows the cue for when the spiders are about to show up (right after the dragon breathes fire), and I squeeze his leg to let him know when to open his eyes again (when you hear Hermione you know it's totally OK).

Of course, until we figured out the *hermione's voice* thing, it meant that I had to keep my eyes open! And I'm FAR more phobic than he is, LOL.
Thank you SOOOO much for that tip!! No one in my family is afraid of spiders except me & I am TERRIFIED of them!! My DH calls it a "crippling fear"! Haha! So I have been dreading that part in FJ! Mind you, I'm definitely riding it! But now I can follow your directions and enjoy myself!!

DH , Me , DD (12) DS (11) , DS (9) , DD (6) , DS (5)
HarleyGirl514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: