Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
kuhltiffany
Mouseketeer

Wave phones don't ring, they only vibrate, so you don't always hear them. We were always running back to the rooms for various reasons, so it was a central place to leave messages for each other. Used more when we travelled with relatives, but not so much when it was just our immediate family...

kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #17
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseMarie526 View Post
is not working! I am so technologically challenged
You need to copy and paste the "PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ or BBCode" code to your signature.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
Suz D
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
Really? I did not say I put post it on the doors. Jeeez. Where did I say that? Out of my 9 cruises, I've never put POST ITS on a door, thank you very much.
I don't think bahacca's comment about post its was intended to be critical. The OP is a first time cruiser and possibly doesn't know about the no adhesive policy so that is good information to provide. Also, because you didn't say where you put the post it notes, as a first time cruiser I would assume you put them on your door as well.
Suz D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
martinm
Grumpy Old Man

I love it when people have dry erase boards with their other fancy magnets.

I like to pay compliments

The boards often left blank afford that opportunity.
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
klepton
Mouseketeer

We didn't take one, but received one the second day as an FE gift. We put it up on our door and DW wrote a message stating we loved our room steward. And that message stayed up the entire week, we never had any need of writing anything else.

That said, we have young kids who don't roam the ship by themselves yet, and DW and I are pretty good about communicating and setting meeting places/times that we stick to. We maybe used the wave phones twice... other than that it was all just prearranging. As the kids get older, I could definitely see a benefit to the whiteboard.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
julie1218
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm View Post
I love it when people have dry erase boards with their other fancy magnets.

I like to pay compliments

The boards often left blank afford that opportunity.
ok-this is a great reason to bring a dry erase board. we have a fancy fish extender! my kids would love to see some comments on it! some people have talked about bring a "tie lock" for the FE. does anyone know what this is and why i might need it? is it to keep the FE from falling or being stolen?
julie1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #22
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The white board was on the posted packing list way before the wave phones existed. We never used it on the door because of the fact that people sometimes leave inappropriate comments on it and we didn't want the kids to see those. When DS was allowed to be on his own on the ship we left the board on the desk and he would leave messages about where he was, when he would be back and any questions he had. A white board is useful when you are organizing the FE, however, so if people switch rooms they can make note of that on the board and everyone else can check your room for those changes.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
owensamo
DIS Veteran

When we travel with the in-laws, we usually try to bring a dry erase board for each door - so we can keep up with each other. They're not likely to carry wave phones, so calls don't work as well. When it's just DD, DH and myself it's less necessary.

That said - I've been known to leave messages on whiteboards, and we've gotten messages from people outside our travel party on our whiteboard. Most of them have been a little daily magic. A couple have been teenagers playing "pranks".

Ours tend to be small and inexpensive (think Target Dollar Spot), so not much of an issue with packing - just travels with our door magnets.

One thing I do try to do every cruise is print up a week schedule - and keep it up to date! That gets laminated, magnets added, and put on the back of the door. Whiteboard markers or sharpies are used to add tastings and other things that can't be booked until we're on the ship. We have been known to book things (freebies like character teas) and then completely forget about the event because there's so much else going on! The schedule helped with that immensely on our next cruise, so I'll be doing it again this summer to try to ensure we don't miss anything!
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #24
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We used a dry erase board once but it kept sliding on the door so we took it off.

As for leaving messages for each other, we keep a notepad in the cabin, but I can see how you might want to have a place for friends and other family members to leave a note for you - like "meet us at the Promenade Lounge at 5:30 before dinner" or "change of plans, not going to movie after all."

To the PP who posted about over-the-door-shoe-holder - they are absolutely convenient - just know that DCL has a new policy in place that these cannot be used "over the door" any more. You may find a way to rig them up to hang in your cabin from a hook that's already on the wall or on a hanger / closet rod, just no longer over the bathroom door(s).

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
lesabrowning
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
We used a dry erase board once but it kept sliding on the door so we took it off.

As for leaving messages for each other, we keep a notepad in the cabin, but I can see how you might want to have a place for friends and other family members to leave a note for you - like "meet us at the Promenade Lounge at 5:30 before dinner" or "change of plans, not going to movie after all."

To the PP who posted about over-the-door-shoe-holder - they are absolutely convenient - just know that DCL has a new policy in place that these cannot be used "over the door" any more. You may find a way to rig them up to hang in your cabin from a hook that's already on the wall or on a hanger / closet rod, just no longer over the bathroom door(s).
No more shoe holders over the door? Bummer! This worked so well for us. What is the reasoning for the new rule? Has anyone found a good new solution?

lesabrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #26
julie1218
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
We never used it on the door because of the fact that people sometimes leave inappropriate comments on it and we didn't want the kids to see those.
ok-this is a great reason NOT to bring a dry erase board.
julie1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

I'm heading on cruise #9 with a dry erase board. We're usually heavily involved in our cruise meet threads as well as fish extenders. The dry erase board makes it easy to write down last minute stateroom changes. As in "XYZ_DisUser is now in room 10148" etc. We've never had anything inappropriate.
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #28
Octoberbride03
I think Tweetie done gone Cuckoo
Been there, done that, married the man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyr View Post
That's brilliant! I'm going to order the pink one. We are doing discovery cove and aquatica before the cruise and it will come in very handy there too
I have to decide what color i want. I love love love this concept. No more leaving somebody to guard the valuables at the beach now. The bag will do it for me
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #29
ppony
Artist in residence

Be aware though, if you do put one out there, you have a likelihood of someone writing something disgusting or rude on it. Happened to us twice within 1 hour of our putting it up, so, we took it down.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesabrowning View Post
No more shoe holders over the door? Bummer! This worked so well for us. What is the reasoning for the new rule? Has anyone found a good new solution?
Because of the damage to the hooks over the door. DCL says they will start changing $100 for damaged doors due to their use.

You can buy hanging organizers that will hang in the closet. Or ones that can be hung on the hooks available in the room.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: