Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
disdad70
Earning My Ears

Alternative to whitewater rafting on AZ/UT ABD

I'm not interested at all in white water rafting on this adventure. Has any one chosen not to participate and what was the alternative while others were rafting? Thanks
disdad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

There was only one couple on our trip who chose not to participate in the rafting but I'm not sure what they did instead. There is a spa, a winery and a movie memorabilia museum at Red Cliffs Lodge. There are also horseshoes, hiking trails and horseback riding. You can also book rappelling, ATV tours, Hummer tours, etc., and the vendors will pick you up at the lodge. But there is already a lot of time on your own built into the itinerary to do those kinds of activities.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
toribelle
Disney Dreaming

I wasn't thrilled about the rafting part on the adventure, but it turned out to be a leisurely float down the Colorado River. There wasn't too many rapids when we went I didn't even get wet. So if you are up for a ride you may want to reconsider. But the resort is so beautiful that you would be happy just to hang out there for a few extra hours.
1st trip in 1978 stayed off property, 1994 - Disney Villas, 1995 - All Star Music ,1997 - POR, 1999 - All Star Music, 2000 - WL, 2002 - CBR, 2004 - AKL, 2005 - BC, 2006 - AKL & BC, 2007 - BC in May BCV in August POFQ in December 2008 - AKL. DCL 3 nt Wonder April Polynesian, DL September 2009, SS in April 09, SS and a DCL in August, ABD SW Splendors Sept 09, Yacht Club Nov 09
toribelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

I am a non-swimmer who had only done one raft trip prior to this it. It was my senior trip, so a lot of silliness was going on. The raft tipped, and I have been terrified of rafting ever since.

Well....I ended up going on the rafting trip. It really was quite easy and fun. I shared my concerns with the person in charge of our raft. I really had nothing to worry about though. I had a really good time.

To answer your original question though: I don't think there are alternative options. Both guides and the driver are needed for this section of this trip. The resort is wonderful though, so you could probably spend a relaxing day at the resort without any problem. Also, you could contact the front desk about booking an excursion during this time. We did the ATV tour while there and it was so much fun!

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: