Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
bdunworth
Earning My Ears

Packing for BWV stay

So we are a family of 4 with a baby staying at BWV for the first time (renting points from a friend). I'm trying to figure out what household items I need to pack or order through Garden Grocer to get through the week (we will not be renting a car). I read that most items will not be replenished until day 4 unless I want to pay extra so I'm thinking things like shampoo, conditioner are a must. Also on my list is dish detergent, paper towels, paper plates, plastic dinnerware. Any other thoughts on what I may need? Thanks!
bdunworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

You'd have to use a LOT of shampoo, conditioner, etc. to run out by day 4. They are small bottles, but can be made to last. If you feel that's not enough though, you can buy such items in the little sundries shops in the resorts.

I don't think it's a bad idea, assuming you have room, to go ahead and pack some paper plates, plastic dinnerware, etc. Those don't weigh that much and should present no problems with baggage handling. I'd stay away from trying to bring any liquids, if possible, especially since you can buy those types of things there. If your baby is still in diapers, I'd order those from GG or get them off-property. They're too bulky to pack, and way too expensive on-property. We found that out the painful way one trip.

Don't forget sunscreen. If you can buy that off-property, you'll save some money. Same goes for baby formula, baby food, etc. You can find all this on-property, but off-property is SO much cheaper.

I see you mentioned you wouldn't be renting a car, but I'll say this: there is a super-easy car rental location at the Dolphin resort (easy walk from BWV). You could rent a car for a one day rental and go shopping at a nearby Publix or Walmart for a lot less than on-property, and probably with a lot more flexibility for whatever circumstances arise that might make ordering through GG problematic. Once the shopping is done and you've offloaded the groceries to the villa, drive the rental back over to the Dolphin, hand the keys to one of the valet people (tip him a few bucks), and walk back to BWV in 10 minutes. I wasn't sure if you knew you could rent from there, if you wanted. A lot of people rent a car for a few hours just to do that quick shopping trip and bring it right back. We've done it a couple times when we used to fly down.

Last edited by grimley1968; 04-09-2013 at 12:09 PM.
grimley1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunworth View Post
So we are a family of 4 with a baby staying at BWV for the first time (renting points from a friend). I'm trying to figure out what household items I need to pack or order through Garden Grocer to get through the week (we will not be renting a car). I read that most items will not be replenished until day 4 unless I want to pay extra so I'm thinking things like shampoo, conditioner are a must. Also on my list is dish detergent, paper towels, paper plates, plastic dinnerware. Any other thoughts on what I may need? Thanks!
Are you staying in a studio? Dish detergent and paper towels are provided, you should have enough.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
bdunworth
Earning My Ears

Thanks for this info! Yes we will be staying in a studio. I'll be washing out bottles daily and snack cups for my kids (ages 5, 3 and 11 months). We mainly plan on having breakfast in our room and maybe some easy lunches/snacks for the kids.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
bdunworth
Earning My Ears

I will look into the car rental for the day. That might work for us. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I always bring coffee and basket filters. The studio has a 12 cup coffee maker. They usually only leave enough coffee for one day.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
TIMLEO007
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

shampoo and conditioner is a must, we just got back from a studio with the 2 of us and was not enough. laundry detergent if u will need to wash clothes, pillows and towels if you need them. there are enough for the queen bed, and one more pillow in the closet. anything you can bring from home will save money too, snacks in the room for breakfast and lunch frees up money.

Trips:

Countless times as a kid growing up in FL
Recent trips as a parent:
5/2002 Hilton Downtown Disney
5/2003 Dolphin concierge
11/2005 Villas at the Wilderness Lodge studio
4/2013 Boardwalk Villas studio

1/2014 Beach Club Villas 2bdrm dedicated
4/2014 Hilton Head Island 2bdrm

TIMLEO007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMLEO007 View Post
shampoo and conditioner is a must, we just got back from a studio with the 2 of us and was not enough. laundry detergent if u will need to wash clothes, pillows and towels if you need them. there are enough for the queen bed, and one more pillow in the closet. anything you can bring from home will save money too, snacks in the room for breakfast and lunch frees up money.
OP is in a studio, so there's no washer and dryer in it. OP will need to use the resort's laundry facilities. They all sell one-use boxes of detergent and small boxes of bounce sheets, etc. Less of a hassle than carrying detergent around the resort.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
gritzel4
Domestic Goddess

No need to pack paper plates, utensils, paper towels, dish soap - these will all be replenished by housekeeping - just give them a call and they will bring more.

Some of the things I pack for a studio stay are:
coffee
coffee filters
splenda
night light
rubbermaid bowls with lids (can be used to clean/store)
ziplock bags of various sizes
air freshener

You will be able to purchase some items on site - just be prepared for some sticker shock

Best of Luck in your planning

Tim Melissa David Megan
gritzel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
OP is in a studio, so there's no washer and dryer in it. OP will need to use the resort's laundry facilities. They all sell one-use boxes of detergent and small boxes of bounce sheets, etc. Less of a hassle than carrying detergent around the resort.
I refuse to pay for laundry stuff, so bring my own. I do have some of those sheets that are detergent and softener all in one left. When those are gone, I'll go back to my little travel size boxes of detergent and dryer sheets. It's not issue carrying those down with the laundry. I seldom do more than one load on each trip anyway.

When I'm in a studio, I usually bring my own shampoo/conditioner. What is supplied is never close to enough for us. Lasts one day, maybe two. I bring coffee packs but I use those prepackaged ones from Maxwell House...just plop in the filter with coffee in it already. No mess, no fuss.
I do have an Owners Locker with stuff in it. I have Disney themed melamine plates/bowls/cups....keep them just to use in the studios.

But, Disney housekeeping will bring you more of anything you need. Just call down and ask. They provide paper towels, Palmolive dish detergent (man I love those little bottles!!), sponges, a dishcloth for drying, paper plates/bowls and glasses and mugs. There is also plastic cutlery.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: