Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Bdd
Earning My Ears

Pb&j

We'll be taking our first cruise ever and we'll be on the Dream in a couple weeks. We're so excited!! My six year old son is a super picky eater and I'm getting a little worried about what he'll eat on the cruise (other than lots of ice cream)! He should be fine at breakfast and lunch so it's mainly dinner I'm worried about. Do they serve PB&J in the main dining rooms?
Thanks!
Bdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
jk8
Mouseketeer

Years ago when my son was 6 (now 13) they only had uncrustables. I don't know about now. But, they made him a grilled cheese every night (not on menus ). He loved it. Don't be afraid to ask.
jk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
3Mickeys
Mouseketeer

My oldest is very picky and PB is a main staple in his diet. He found plenty to eat, but because he likes it so much, we looked for it. We found it is not necessarily ready and available. I think they try not to have it around due to allergies. They would never serve PB sandwiches in the clubs. It was usually a cheese sandwich.

Uncrustables was indeed the option.

One thing I love most about cruising was watching my kids step outside their comfort zones and try new things. Our servers were always very encouraging as the kids tried new things.
3Mickeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

We have one with a peanut allergy, so I can't comment on the availability of PB&J or the Uncrustables. My 3 DDs are all very picky eaters and they never had a problem finding something they liked to eat. Every night they had mac & cheese, hamburgers, and chicken fingers on the children's menu. I think my youngest had hamburgers every night of our 7-night cruise.

Previous Trips: 2000 Honeymoon at WDW Polynesian & Disney Wonder; 2003 Wilderness Lodge; 2004 Christmas at AKL & GF; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2006 Disneyland; 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska

In the Works: Christmas in the FW Cabins! Dec 13-26
Luv_Tink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Another picky eater mom. She's 15 now and better, but at the time she did not like the PB&J they served on the cruise. They do have mac and cheese at dinner every night. That's what she lived on.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Bdd
Earning My Ears

Smile

Thanks so much for your responses!
Bdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Can kids eat off the adult menu? I have the opposite problem - my kids think the food on the kids menu is too plain and my oldest for sure will want to eat off the adult menu (10)

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW Jan 2016 Marathon weekend here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
mdurette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyr View Post
Can kids eat off the adult menu? I have the opposite problem - my kids think the food on the kids menu is too plain and my oldest for sure will want to eat off the adult menu (10)
Yes....our dd loves steak. last year she was six and we ordered the steak off the adult menu for her a few times.
mdurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
disjest8
Proud Parent of 8

I too am a mom of a VERY picky eater. Thank goodness at age 11, he now likes steak. However, we still go through phases where only PB&J will do and it must be grape jelly unless we are really sneaky.

You can order uncrustables from room service and ask them to keep them sealed. Just take them with you to the dining room if you need to. Also, I picked up peanut butter packets, jelly packets and slices of bread from Goofy's Galley, but I think they only had strawberry jelly. Actually, I think I had to go somewhere else for the jelly, but can't remember where. You can also pack ziploc bags and take one with you to Beach Blanket for breakfast and pick up all of the ingredients there to cover you for the rest of the day.

Room service will probably be the best option if your child will eat uncrustables. Just tell them you have a child who will only eat PB&J's and you need a few sealed to keep in your fridge in the room. Based on the fact that they asked me if I wanted them sealed or opened, I'm guessing they have at least one PB&J kid per cruise.

Have fun!

Mar 2013 - DCL Wonder and DCL Dream/May 2013 - DCL Magic
Mar 2012 - Freedom of the Seas/Sep 2012 - BLT, BCV,Oasis of the Seas
Mar 2011 - OKW,Carnival Dream
Feb 2010 - Pop Century and Freedom of the Seas
Mar 2009 - Independence of the Seas/Sep 2009 - BCV,Carnival Legend
Feb 2008 - Navigator of the Seas/Sep 2008 - Pop Century and DCL Wonder
Mar 2007 - SSR,DCL Wonder/Sep 2007 - AKV & DCL Magic Western/Nov 2007 - Shades of Green
Apr 2006 - Orbit One/Nov 2006 - BCV,BWV,DCL Wonder
Jan 2005 - Cypress Pointe Grand Villas/Sep 2005 - BCV,OKW,DCL Wonder
disjest8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurette View Post

Yes....our dd loves steak. last year she was six and we ordered the steak off the adult menu for her a few times.
That's good to know - my daughter loves steak, ribs, shrimp and lobster. I can't afford to keep her lol

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW Jan 2016 Marathon weekend here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
cpc430
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdurette View Post

Another mom glad to see this! My DD who will be 7 when we cruise also loves steak, salmon, and sushi. She'll be balancing it out for her old brother who will probably want Mac and Cheese or pizza at every meal!
cpc430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

Share the concerns with your waiter on the first night and tell him what things your DS can eat. He will make sure he has options the following nights.

My wife has terrible allergies, and they would let her order the day before (for the following dinner) so they made sure they always had something for her.
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Heyriddle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdd View Post
We'll be taking our first cruise ever and we'll be on the Dream in a couple weeks. We're so excited!! My six year old son is a super picky eater and I'm getting a little worried about what he'll eat on the cruise (other than lots of ice cream)! He should be fine at breakfast and lunch so it's mainly dinner I'm worried about. Do they serve PB&J in the main dining rooms?
Thanks!
On our first cruise, our youngest was the ultimate picky eater. At that time the kid (age 4) ate PB crackers, yogurt (vanilla only...and it wasn't on the ship), fruit, Cheerios and french fries (of course). That's it. We spent two years going to a nutrionist after he completely stopped eating as a 9 month old.

Our server was amazing. Once he figured out what DS would eat, each night our server had everything ready for him. He would get PB from room service, a big plate of fruit, and cereal which he renamed with DS for a game.
Cheerios = Chinese bagels
Fruit Loops = Chinese donuts
To this day, we still call them by those names.

Our server was incredible. I wish so badly that I could remember his name. He did everything to help DS eat. When DS would fall asleep at the table, he wheeled over an extra chair and made a bed complete with "napkin blankets." He wanted to make sure we were enjoying dinner and wanted to take care of DS.

We have been on two more cruises since then. We have never had the excellence to that extent, but rest assured, that your servers will try to accommodate you in any way possible.

On a side note, DS is now 12. He is still a picky eater but eats so much better than before. I've always told myself that the kid isn't going to go off to college eating only yogurt and fruit. Every new food is a victory, but we will not battle at the dinner table and I will never complain that my child refuses pizza and hot dogs and chooses to eat chicken and rice.

And to all you parents out there that would say "I wouldn't give my child a choice," until you've walked in someone else's shoes, keep it to yourself.

2005 Disney Magic Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2008 Disney Wonder Bahamas Double Dip 4-Night
2011 Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 7-Night
2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 7-Night
Heyriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Not just the kids but everyone can eat off of both menus. My 16 year old son gets the Mac & Cheese every night as an order and then gets the rest of his meal from the adults menu. Have your picky eater look at both menus and do not be afraid to talk to your server. They are very good with special requests.

Note: I seen room service has P&J but it is not on the room service menu. Just ask for the P&J and Mickey Mouse Ice Cream bars.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
chudson98
Mouseketeer

They also have plain grilled chicken if your picky eater will eat it. My hubby is super picky and he ordered it quite a bit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: