Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
jana616
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,156

Turning 3 while there, not on DDP...

We will be visiting in October, and hope to dine at CRT, 'Ohana, and CM while there (staying off site, thus no dining plan). My daughter will be turning 3 halfway through our trip. I know for park ticket purposes, she is considered 2 for the duration of the trip. Is it the same at restaurants? If we eat at one of those places on or after her birthday, do I still list her as under 3? If we were staying on site with the dining plan, she wouldn't have it for any of the stay, so that would make sense to me, but i want to make sure. I am assuming I don't make note of her birthday on the reservations then, right? I was hoping to do CRT on her actual birthday. Will she still get a wand, even if she's listed as 2? Will she be missing out on any birthday celebration they typically do there? Thanks!
__________________
2009 trip report-"Stop drinking out of that puddle"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2285467


2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.
 
TheRustyScupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 15-min from WDW.
Posts: 19,036

1) What she is at the start, she effectively remains throughout.
2) And, yes, she still gets a wand.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
jenjen212
"When life gets you down, know what you gotta do? Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim, swim."
 
jenjen212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana616 View Post
We will be visiting in October, and hope to dine at CRT, 'Ohana, and CM while there (staying off site, thus no dining plan). My daughter will be turning 3 halfway through our trip. I know for park ticket purposes, she is considered 2 for the duration of the trip. Is it the same at restaurants? If we eat at one of those places on or after her birthday, do I still list her as under 3? If we were staying on site with the dining plan, she wouldn't have it for any of the stay, so that would make sense to me, but i want to make sure. I am assuming I don't make note of her birthday on the reservations then, right? I was hoping to do CRT on her actual birthday. Will she still get a wand, even if she's listed as 2? Will she be missing out on any birthday celebration they typically do there? Thanks!
Are you asking about the difference in the price of the food for her being 2 vs 3? When we took my godson for his bday when he was 2 turning 3 (we also did the bday celebrations at each place we went to.) They didn't charge us for his food. Although, I remember that he also wasn't really eating that much anyways during that trip because he ended up teething and not wanting much.

You can always call Dining and ask one of the CMs how they would do that...
__________________
Proud Florida Annual Passholder

Polynesian -08/'10 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge, Savannah View -5/'09~ Wilderness Lodge -12/'08-MVMCP ~ Port Orleans French Quarter -5/'07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside -1/'07 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter -1/'07 ~ Carribean Beach Resort -12/'06-MVMCP ~ Ft Wilderness Cabins-9/'06 ~ Contemporary Resort-07/'06 -Miami Heat Parade! ~ Ft Wilderness Cabins-5/'06 ~ Coronado Springs Resort - 12/'05 -MVMCP ~ Port Orleans Riverside - 8/'05 ~ Port Orleans Riverside - 5/'05 -Star Wars Wkend ~ Port Orleans Riverside -3/'05 ~ Port Orleans Riverside -2/'05 ~ Port Orleans Riverside -11/'04 SuperSoap Wkend! ~ Port Orleans Riverside - 10/'04 ~ Carribean Beach Resort -8/'04; ESPN weekend! ~ Carribean Beach Resort -6/'04; ~ Port Orleans French Quarter -6/'04; ~ Port Orleans Riverside -2/'04; ~ Fort Wilderness Cabins -11/'03 SuperSoap Wkend! ~ Coronado Springs - 10/'03; ~ DTD Hotel Royal Plaza -9/'03; ~ Port Orleans Riverside - 8/'03; ~ Fort Wilderness Cabins- 7/'02 & 5/'00
jenjen212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
jana616
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen212

Are you asking about the difference in the price of the food for her being 2 vs 3? When we took my godson for his bday when he was 2 turning 3 (we also did the bday celebrations at each place we went to.) They didn't charge us for his food. Although, I remember that he also wasn't really eating that much anyways during that trip because he ended up teething and not wanting much.

You can always call Dining and ask one of the CMs how they would do that...
Yes, I am asking because at 2 she is free, and at 3 she is not. I know to count her in our group total for reservations, but obviously if she is considered "under 3" the whole time, we will save some money. She eats very little, so I am not concerned with the actual food part, lol!
__________________
2009 trip report-"Stop drinking out of that puddle"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2285467


2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana616 View Post
We will be visiting in October, and hope to dine at CRT, 'Ohana, and CM while there (staying off site, thus no dining plan). My daughter will be turning 3 halfway through our trip. I know for park ticket purposes, she is considered 2 for the duration of the trip. Is it the same at restaurants? If we eat at one of those places on or after her birthday, do I still list her as under 3? If we were staying on site with the dining plan, she wouldn't have it for any of the stay, so that would make sense to me, but i want to make sure. I am assuming I don't make note of her birthday on the reservations then, right? I was hoping to do CRT on her actual birthday. Will she still get a wand, even if she's listed as 2? Will she be missing out on any birthday celebration they typically do there? Thanks!
I have been told the same age for the whole trip thing is when staying on property. You don't "age" at WDW. But if you leave WDW everyday you age LOL.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
jana616
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney

I have been told the same age for the whole trip thing is when staying on property. You don't "age" at WDW. But if you leave WDW everyday you age LOL.
Huh, I have never heard that one before. Has anyone else found that to be true?
__________________
2009 trip report-"Stop drinking out of that puddle"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2285467


2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
mouskemomof2
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 55

I just posted something similar before finding this thread. We will be starting our vacay with a 9 year old and leaving with a 10 y.o. Is he on the child dining plan all the way through? Another wrench thrown in is that on the day of his actual birthday we are switching hotels so we need to get a new dining plan. Should that one be for a ten year old? How does this work? Everything is booked already, btw...
__________________
mouskemomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
jana616
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,156

If you weren't switching hotels on his birthday, I'm fairly certain he'd be a child on the dining plan the whole trip. Since you're starting a second reservation ANC plan on his birthday, I'm not sure for that part?
__________________
2009 trip report-"Stop drinking out of that puddle"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2285467


2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran
 
Disney_Princess83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,279

The age you are at the start of the visit to WDW, is the age he is throughout the entire trip. You won't get penalized for changing resorts.
__________________

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
RapunzelsGoodMom
Mouseketeer
 
RapunzelsGoodMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana616 View Post
Yes, I am asking because at 2 she is free, and at 3 she is not. I know to count her in our group total for reservations, but obviously if she is considered "under 3" the whole time, we will save some money. She eats very little, so I am not concerned with the actual food part, lol!
We did CRT just before DD turned 3 so I asked a lot of the same questions. I was told:

*She is the age she was when you arrived (or checked in) .... so she is 2 for their purposes.
* She can eat off of your plate and gets french toast sticks for her meal - that's the freebie (which she loved so that was great - when not too distracted to eat). Not sure if that is still the under 3 meal but that's what it was when I was there. They bring a plate of sweet rolls and fruit for the table to enjoy which she also ate from.

Her brother was 7 months and was offered the kids plate as well but he was too young for it so I told them not to bring it. But she definitely got her wand and "Wishing Stars" and the best quote of our trip was also generated that morning......"And here's a sword for the baby"... they made sure he even had his goods. My guess is some parent who wanted every nickel out of the experience at some point insisted on getting a sword or wand for their baby so they made a big deal of the presentation. Which I immediately removed from sight! ha!
RapunzelsGoodMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
jana616
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapunzelsGoodMom View Post
We did CRT just before DD turned 3 so I asked a lot of the same questions. I was told:

*She is the age she was when you arrived (or checked in) .... so she is 2 for their purposes.
* She can eat off of your plate and gets french toast sticks for her meal - that's the freebie (which she loved so that was great - when not too distracted to eat). Not sure if that is still the under 3 meal but that's what it was when I was there. They bring a plate of sweet rolls and fruit for the table to enjoy which she also ate from.

Her brother was 7 months and was offered the kids plate as well but he was too young for it so I told them not to bring it. But she definitely got her wand and "Wishing Stars" and the best quote of our trip was also generated that morning......"And here's a sword for the baby"... they made sure he even had his goods. My guess is some parent who wanted every nickel out of the experience at some point insisted on getting a sword or wand for their baby so they made a big deal of the presentation. Which I immediately removed from sight! ha!
This story made me LOL!
__________________
2009 trip report-"Stop drinking out of that puddle"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2285467


2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Crystal824
DIS Veteran
 
Crystal824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,691

I was wondering about this too. We are staying on property but not doing the DP. We have APs and TiW card. DD turns three during our trip. I know we don't need tickets for her but was concerned about dining especially since we are taking her to BBB and then doing 1900 PF afterwards on her birthday. I told DH, we will probably have to pay for that meal because you have to be 3 to do BBB.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
purple figment
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,425

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouskemomof2 View Post
I just posted something similar before finding this thread. We will be starting our vacay with a 9 year old and leaving with a 10 y.o. Is he on the child dining plan all the way through? Another wrench thrown in is that on the day of his actual birthday we are switching hotels so we need to get a new dining plan. Should that one be for a ten year old? How does this work? Everything is booked already, btw...
Disney doesn't recognize split stays; to them you have 2 separate reservations. He's 9 for the first reservation, but since you're starting a new reservation on his birthday he's 10 at that time. Is there any way you can check in the day before so there's no question that he's 9 and would qualify for the child's rate.

I would try calling DVC (or however you made your reservations) and see if they'll sprinkle pixie dust and let you book him with the child's rate.

As far as park tickets, get tickets at the very start of your trip to cover the entire trip. Your son can continue using his child's ticket or you can change it to an adult's ticket at no additional charge.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal824 View Post
I was wondering about this too. We are staying on property but not doing the DP. We have APs and TiW card. DD turns three during our trip. I know we don't need tickets for her but was concerned about dining especially since we are taking her to BBB and then doing 1900 PF afterwards on her birthday. I told DH, we will probably have to pay for that meal because you have to be 3 to do BBB.
You'll be fine because as far as tickets and dining she's 2 for her entire trip. The minimum age applies to BBB, but won't affect her meals.
__________________
Kim T
purple figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
jana616
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple figment View Post

You'll be fine because as far as tickets and dining she's 2 for her entire trip. The minimum age applies to BBB, but won't affect her meals.
This is GREAT to hear, because we're in the same boat! We're hoping to do BBB at DTD on the day of her 3rd birthday, with Chef Mickeys that night, and then CRT the next morning. Out of all of that, all I should pay for is BBB, right?
__________________
2009 trip report-"Stop drinking out of that puddle"-our first family trip with 2 and 4 year olds!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2285467


2009 PTR! 100 Days til Our First Family Trip!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2190617
jana616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
swebb0310
Mouseketeer
 
swebb0310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 215

We went with my niece about a month after she turned three. I remember that when I checked us in to The Crystal Palace the cast member asked me how old she was, and when I started to tell her 3, she said "she's 2 right?" and Caitlunsaid, "no, I'm 3" and held up her fingers. The cast member smiled and said yep, and wrote down 2. we really appreciated it. I got the feeling they weren't super concerned with the 2/3 age line and are willing to count them as 2. I'm sure if the birthday is the same week it should be fine. But just to be safe you could. Contact the individual restaurant.
swebb0310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.