Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAndAnt View Post
I am a bit worried too. We're a gay couple in our 40s and I am worried we'll get seated with someone who is going to ask if we're brothers and then react badly when we tell them we're a couple. On one hand, I really want the fun of meeting new people, and on the other hand, I don't want to hear a saintly, adorable older woman non-chalantly tell me I should marry a woman and change my ways lest I burn in hell.
I wouldn't worry about it. It's their problem not yours.

I'm sure you will find Disney does well with matching table mates. If it seems like you are sat with judgmental goons, asked to be moved and let DCL know the reason. You may get a special treat
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #32
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone! Your support is sincerely appreciated.
NickAndAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #33
kiford
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am a bit worried too. We're a gay couple in our 40s and I am worried we'll get seated with someone who is going to ask if we're brothers and then react badly when we tell them we're a couple.
We've been seated at dinner and at various events on DCL with gay couples and I've never seen any negativity from others or even any difference in the way they were treated compared to other couples. If you do have problems, ask the head waiter to move you. There's never any need to feel you have to live with obnoxious tablemates.

We've had no bad experiences, some so-so companions and some great table companions. We've been seated with the same couple twice on different cruises and had no idea we were going to be there at the same time; we had so much fun both times we had to be thrown out of the dining room because they were setting up for breakfast. We also still correspond with one or two other couples we've been seated with. It's one of the things I most like about cruising with Disney.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #34
jk8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfsedita View Post
We are taking our first cruise in July. We are traveling with 2 other families, all on the same reservation. We are 13 total. Any thoughts on how we will be seated?
We just traveled with 3 other families as a party of 15. We had one long table (2 eight tops pushed together)
jk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #35
FrogMBA
Mouseketeer

I just returned from an 8 night on the Magic. I traveled with my 16 yr old daughter. I am a single mom. We were seated with another single mom and her 15 r old daughter and a single dad with is 18 yr old son. After the first night the dad and son were never seen again. The other mom and daughter and us got along great and even are staying in touch.
I think Disney does a great job matching up people for dinner seating.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am a bit worried too. We're a gay couple in our 40s and I am worried we'll get seated with someone who is going to ask if we're brothers and then react badly when we tell them we're a couple. On one hand, I really want the fun of meeting new people, and on the other hand, I don't want to hear a saintly, adorable older woman non-chalantly tell me I should marry a woman and change my ways lest I burn in hell.
On our AK cruise on the Wonder last August our family of 5 was seated with a family that consisted of two moms about our age and their son who was the same age as our middle DD. My husband and I are very accepting of all types of families, and we try to raise our girls that way as well, so this wasn't a problem for us. I just kept wondering when one of my girls was going to ask why the boy had two moms. They never did and we all got along fabulously. I was also thankful to have other women willing to take my DDs to the restroom when they needed to go halfway through the meal.

I hope that you will end up with tablemates like us who just want to get to know new people. I would say if you end up with tablemates who are less than accepting, you should just ask your server for a new table.

Previous Trips: 2000 Honeymoon at WDW Polynesian & Disney Wonder; 2003 Wilderness Lodge; 2004 Christmas at AKL & GF; 2005 Wilderness Lodge; 2006 Disneyland; 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska

In the Works: Christmas in the FW Cabins! Dec 13-26
Luv_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #37
PirateTigger
Earning My Ears

My partner and I have been together for 15 yrs and this same worry. DCL was amazing we were seated at an 8 top with 3 other couples all with out children. 2 were married, one not and us we had a great time every night at dinner and even all sat together at character breakfast.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #38
Shell54
DIS Veteran

DCL has done a good job with us..our first cruise it was just DH and I and we were seated with 2 other couples about our age. One of the wives we met was a bit of a handful( drinking too much, sending stuff back, spilling her wine)..but it was a fun group. Another cruise with our son was the best..we were seated with a couple around our age and their son who had the same name as our son. We really hit it off with them. It was an 8 night cruise so we really enjoyed that we had such great dining companions every nite.

Disney Magic 8/12

Shell54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #39
*Nessa*
Cinderella is proof... a new pair of shoes can change your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfsedita View Post
We are taking our first cruise in July. We are traveling with 2 other families, all on the same reservation. We are 13 total. Any thoughts on how we will be seated?
We travelled in a group of 15 too and we all sat together

ETA: can I ask does anyone know what the size your group has to be before they would give you your own table without asking??

2002 Disneyland Hotel - 2004 Disneyland Hotel - 2006 - DL Grand California
2009 DL Paradise Pier - 2009 WDW OKW / POLY / WL - 2009 DFTW Western & Eastern Caribbean
2014 DCL Alaska & California Coast/DL 2015 DL/WDW/DCL Fantasy
MY PLANNING BLOG OUR WEDDING WEBSITE www.mattandnessa.com

*Nessa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #40
kirkaliciasmom
Mouseketeer

Our last cruise was dd and myself. We were seated at a table for 6, but only 4 of us were there. Another single mother with her son who was my dd age. The funny thing is, is my dd and table mates ds had so much in common and his mother and I work for the same hospital, just in N ca and so cal.

kirkaliciasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #41
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDluvsDaisy View Post
I just did this last month for our anniversary cruise. It is a table for 4 but we only had place sittings for the 2 of us. PM me if you want more info. I was very happy that we sat alone this time.
That's good to know. We're looking into a DCL cruise and one member of the family has a social phobia. He'd quite literally skip meals if they required small talk with strangers.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #42
PRINCESSnPIRATESOHMY
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thanks everyone! Your support is sincerely appreciated.
Any chance you're on the Dream April 21? We'd love to share a table with you too! I hope you don't encounter any judgmental table mates and have an awesome cruise!

PRINCESSnPIRATESOHMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #43
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

We are a family of 4 - how many other people do you think will be seated with us?

On our last cruise (not dcl) it was just dh and I and we had open seating so I think it was 6 each night but it was different people every night. I remember enjoying our dinner companions but one lady was somewhat of a braggart. Actually so was her dh but it was only one night and they were nice enough so it didn't really bother us. I wasn't worried about my kids misbehaving though - just my dh lol!

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW Jan 2016 Marathon weekend here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #44
LimoFam5
DIS Veteran

Location: Los Alamitos (Rossmoor), but most of the time we are at Disneyland.

DCL is always open for special request. Make a request for ether a table for two or specifically request a table that has only adults.
LimoFam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #45
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCESSnPIRATESOHMY View Post
Any chance you're on the Dream April 21? We'd love to share a table with you too! I hope you don't encounter any judgmental table mates and have an awesome cruise!
What an awesome offer. Unfortunately, we're on May 19 Dream cruise.
NickAndAnt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: