Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
PWammy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfsedita View Post
We are taking our first cruise in July. We are traveling with 2 other families, all on the same reservation. We are 13 total. Any thoughts on how we will be seated?
Not sure about DCL (4/25 will be my first) but with other cruise lines, if you book together on the same reservation, you are generally seated together.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #17
martinm
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara619 View Post
When DH and I went alone in 2004, we were 23 years old and were sat with a couple about 65 years old. They were nice but we had nothing in common and all they wanted to talk about was religion. I hated going to dinner each night.
I had a table one trip with an older couple. They happened to have a daughter the same age as ours so it worked out perfect.

I would have had fun with the older couple and swing their conversation in another direction. If you talk about God I talk about aliens. You say GOD I say little green man... it make people CRAZY and I find it truly fun in an evil sorta way.
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
martinm
Grumpy Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
My husband and I are possibly doing a cruise in August and this is the thing I dread the most about cruising! We cruised a few years ago as a family of 5 and we got a table to ourselves. This time it will just be the 2 of us and I look forward to having a nice dinner with my husband, not trying to have awkward conversations with strangers. I wish we could request to dine alone.
Normally I am a VERY keep to myself kinda person.. when I cruise I go out of my way to meet new people. The first night is the most fun.
I LOVE sharing a table with people I have never met. It makes me put on my friendly and practice being social. My wife like it because I am likely to behave

I have resigned myself to being the wierd guy that talks to people in the elevator
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

in my twelve DCL cruises we have been at a table for 16 all the way down to a table for 4. Frankly, the worst experience was at the table for 4, it was just my family!!! "nothing" to talk about at dinner, because we hung out all day together!!

The table for 16 had 5 different families and none of the families knew each other before the cruise. Let me tell you - WE HAD A BLAST.

In the 12 cruises, we have had one "difficult" situation - we sat with a Japanese family and they didn't speak much English and we didn't speak any Japanese. We had one "not terribly friendly" cruise, but all of the rest of our experiences have been very, very enjoyable.

Our upcoming cruise (14 nights) if I get "stuck" with just my family, we will ask to be placed with another group - it's fun to get to know other people. We don't look at this as "dining" with strangers, we see it as an opportunity to broaden our horizons!! And they are "strangers" for only the first evening.

Just don't come up to me a say "Howdy Stranger!" because I will respond with "Stranger Than What?!!"

MartinM Said:
Quote:
Normally I am a VERY keep to myself kinda person.. when I cruise I go out of my way to meet new people. The first night is the most fun.
I LOVE sharing a table with people I have never met. It makes me put on my friendly and practice being social. My wife like it because I am likely to behave

I have resigned myself to being the wierd guy that talks to people in the elevator
WELL SAID - My thoughts EXACTLY!! All Of It.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
Allanaw
Earning My Ears

Our last cruise I sailed with my husband and 10 yr old, 7 yr old and 5 yr old. We were paired with a couple with a 12 month old. Great couple, cute baby but I was wishing we weren't at a table with a baby since we just got out of the "messy, eating with their hands and whiny moving children at dinner" stage in our family.
Allanaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfsedita View Post
We are taking our first cruise in July. We are traveling with 2 other families, all on the same reservation. We are 13 total. Any thoughts on how we will be seated?
I assume your reservations are linked (if you have more than 1 room you have more than 1 reservation number). Anyway, if your reservations are linked you will all be seated together.

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940

4 night Wonder Cruise- July '07
Nathan's MAW trip to WDW- Nov '08
7 night NYE Magic Cruise- Dec '09
4night/5night back to back Dream Cruise followed by 6days at WDW-June '11
Disneyland- over 12 times and counting
oklamomof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #22
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

On both of our previous cruises, we were paired with friends or family with whom we were sailing.
This time, it will be just us 3. We're celebrating the first anniversary of our DD's adoption, so we were tempted to request a table for just us. But I think we're just going to wing it and see what happens. I'm excited, but also a little nervous about how we'll be seated!
We're an "odd" family, so hopefully we'll be seated with some fun, "odd" people!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

I am a bit worried too. We're a gay couple in our 40s and I am worried we'll get seated with someone who is going to ask if we're brothers and then react badly when we tell them we're a couple. On one hand, I really want the fun of meeting new people, and on the other hand, I don't want to hear a saintly, adorable older woman non-chalantly tell me I should marry a woman and change my ways lest I burn in hell.
NickAndAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
kistner5
Earning My Ears

Our first DCL cruise I assumed since we were a family of 5 we would dine alone and I was excited about it since it was a family vacation. We arrived to find a table for 8 and I was not happy. The other family joined us and had a daughter the same age as ours. We hit it off and became friends. We sail again in November with the same family. We live on opposite sides of the US but thanks to a great Disney dining match we have some amazing new friends!
kistner5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
Majordis
Mouseketeer

On our first cruise, DH and I were seated with a honeymoon couple our age and two single women in their 50s. The husband was quiet, but the wife was very unpleasant and often rude to the servers. Unfortunately they were from the same city as us, and we knew some of the same people. We hated going to dinner but hesitated to request new tablemates since we may run into these people in the future. (we have - they are divorced). The single ladies did change tables, but we ran into them often on the ship and they were a blast. Our next cruise was on the Dream last year with our children. We requested to sit alone and it was granted.
Majordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAndAnt View Post
I am a bit worried too. We're a gay couple in our 40s and I am worried we'll get seated with someone who is going to ask if we're brothers and then react badly when we tell them we're a couple. On one hand, I really want the fun of meeting new people, and on the other hand, I don't want to hear a saintly, adorable older woman non-chalantly tell me I should marry a woman and change my ways lest I burn in hell.
Love your no H8 Avatar and this straight family would LOVE to sit with you!

AZMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #27
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?

Ooo ooo Mr Kotter! I wanna guess...

They write everyone's name on Mickey shaped slips of paper and throw them in a bowl.

No?

Want to split a pineapple?
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #28
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I went on the 2011 Med cruise solo, my table consisted of Me, another solo two friends, a married couple and another couple who were gay, they never stated they were but the way they acted towards each other told me they were a couple and not related. The subject of their relationship never came and nobody at the table ever asked and it didn't bother anyone, we all got along and we all chatted at night about the days activities. Everyone at the table was mid 30's-40's. I guess to me it is no big deal but I wouldn't worry about it. If the 1st night at dinner doesn't go well you can always ask that your seating be changed.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #29
Tara619
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know we wouldn't have any problems being seated with you and I'd hope most others feel the same. If you have any problems, just ask to be moved. I'm sorry you have to worry about this.

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAndAnt

My previous sarcasm aside, disney really does try to seat folks of similar demographics together. Perhaps if you request being started with all adults you may fair better. Worst case, if you don't hit it off with your table mates just ask your head server and they'll look into getting you seated elsewhere. My wife and I did just that our last cruise. Worked out wonderfully.

Want to split a pineapple?

Last edited by TempusFugit; 04-08-2013 at 07:22 PM.
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: