Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
micknme
Mouseketeer

How does DCL choose your table mates?

Was just curious if Disney takes into account the ages of people when they assign their table mates?

My sister and I are 50ish in age (though we are decades younger maturity-wise ) and would like to know our chances of being placed at a table with others our own age or within a decade either younger or older? We are booked with late dining so perhaps more adults book this time? We love kids of all ages and enjoy watching them having fun, but thought we might prefer a quiet meal to end our day.

Thank you for your answers!
micknme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknme View Post
Was just curious if Disney takes into account the ages of people when they assign their table mates?

My sister and I are 50ish in age (though we are decades younger maturity-wise ) and would like to know our chances of being placed at a table with others our own age or within a decade either younger or older? We are booked with late dining so perhaps more adults book this time? We love kids of all ages and enjoy watching them having fun, but thought we might prefer a quiet meal to end our day.

Thank you for your answers!
It's really unknown how DCL matches up tablemates, but they do a very good job of it.

You will most likely be seating with other adult (couples) for dinner. Our first cruise (DH & I - late 50s) we were seated with 3 other couples in the same age range. 3 of the husbands were in the same job field, and 2 of the wives were teachers with a 3 one in a child care situation.

On another cruise we were seated with 2 other couples (a little younger than us) as well as a mother and (adult) daughter.

Who knows? But it works.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Tara619
Mouseketeer

When DH and I went alone in 2004, we were 23 years old and were sat with a couple about 65 years old. They were nice but we had nothing in common and all they wanted to talk about was religion. I hated going to dinner each night.

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
hamm1207
Alaskan DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara619 View Post
When DH and I went alone in 2004, we were 23 years old and were sat with a couple about 65 years old. They were nice but we had nothing in common and all they wanted to talk about was religion. I hated going to dinner each night.
Wow! I'm surprised that it worked out this way. We are in pur mid twenties (no kids) and on all of our dcl cruises (8) we've been seated with people our age or close. I'm sorry you had such a rough experience!

May 2010 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder January 26-30, 2011 Disney Dream Maiden VoyageApril 27-May 3, 2011 West Coast Repo Disney Wonder December 4-11, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder Eastern Caribbean - April 13-20, 2012 Disney Magic First Galveston Cruise - Sept 22-29, 2012 Disney Magic Bahamas Dream - Sept 30-Oct 4, 2012 Disney DreamApril 28-May 2, 2013 Disney Dream BahamasMay 4-11, 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern CaribbeanOctober 27-November 1, 2013 Disney Magic out of Miami May 19, 2014 West Coast Repo-Disney Wonder May 24, 2014 Alaska Cruise-Disney Wonder
hamm1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

So on most of my previous cruises I had cruised with family and had specific tablemates.

When I traveled in 2011 I was with my oldest DS and his wife and my youngest DS and his girlfriend. I never thought to note that we wanted to sit alone and when we got to the MDR's we were placed with another family of three - an adult couple and their daughter who was just a few years younger then my youngest. It worked out nice.

I was more worried this past fall when I traveled with just my mom. However when we got to the MDR's they had placed us at an 8-table with two other mother-daughter groups. One mother daughter was similar in age to me and my mom and the other the daughter was younger and the mother was about my age. Twice during our 7-night cruise we actually dined as four since each of the other mother/daughter groups did a night in Palo. we had a great time. I was really surprised how well they matched us up.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
For future reference - that's what the head waiter is there for. If you find yourself with tablemates that just don't work, your head waiter will move you to a new table for subsequent nights. It's better than hating to go to dinner.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
lindaso
We are just like the Incredibles...well, without the super powers!!

On our last cruise, we were at a table for 8, the 5 of us and room for 3 more. We got there first and settled in at the table. The other family walked up and I saw a couple about our age and a boy about my sons' ages. They took one look at us and grabbed the waiter. They spoke with great animation and the waiter sent them over to the front of the restaurant. We never saw them again. But we laughed and laughed over how they didn't want to sit with us. It was a great ice breaker with our servers bc they joked with us about how we got dissed We sure enjoyed our table for 8 the entire cruise

TRIPS TO PLAN
ALASKA on the Wonder July 2014

TRIPS TO REMEMBER
June 2013 -- Disney Dream;

June 2012 -- Disney Dream Double Dip; Feb. 2012 -- YC; Feb. 2011 -- Disney Dream Inaugural Voyages; Feb. 2010 -- YC; Jan. 2009 -- Disney Magic; April 2008 -- Poly ; Nov./Dec. 2007 -- YC ; Nov. 2006 -- Disney Magic, Our 1st cruise; Oct. 2005 -- AKL, no kids, 10th Anniversary ; Apr. 2005 -- Poly; Oct. 2003 -- Poly; Nov. 2001 -- CBR; May 2000 -- ASMu; May 1999 -- ASSp; Jan 1990 -- Offsite; Apr. 1984 -- Disneyland; Nov. 1978 -- Contemporary
lindaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
mcraige
DIS Veteran

It's been hit and miss with us. One cruise, we were seated with a very nice couple with a son about the same age as DD. We really enjoyed it. Another cruise, they put us with another couple with 3 teens, close to DD's age. The dad was nice, but the mom was annoying and the children very whiny. The only good thing was they were always late to dinner, so we would order and eat quickly so we could leave.
Disney World May 1998 - Off Site; September 1998 - Off Site; October 1999 - Off Site; March 2000 - All Star Music; March 2002 - All Star Movies; March 2004 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2006 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); December 2007 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); November 2010 - Old Key West (DVC); July 2011 - Off Site; November 2012 - Beach Club Villas (DVC); March 2013 - Saratoga Springs (DVC); May/June 2014 - Beach Club Villas/Kidani Village Vero Beach March 2004, July 2009 Disney Cruise Line May 2003, July 2009 Disneyland December 2002/January 2003 - Off Site; August 2008 - Off Site
mcraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
erin1715
DIS Veteran

My husband and I are possibly doing a cruise in August and this is the thing I dread the most about cruising! We cruised a few years ago as a family of 5 and we got a table to ourselves. This time it will just be the 2 of us and I look forward to having a nice dinner with my husband, not trying to have awkward conversations with strangers. I wish we could request to dine alone.
erin1715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Distinkt
Earning My Ears

Our experience has generally been good. We are a 50ish couple who traveled with no children on our past cruises (4). The first cruise was the rockiest of all as far as our experiences with our table mates. We were at a 6 or eight top with only one other couple, about our age, who were strange. We spent all week with them eating and they never let a hint of their private life slip. My husband and I joked that either they were from organized crime or in the witness protection program. We are from a Midwest state and they were from NJ, but my husband travels there regularly for business and we are familiar with the area and NYC so we should have had some sort of common ground for conversation. It was strange. Our other table mates have all been interesting, perfectly compatible for dinner and our age, but really not anyone we have or would keep in contact with after the cruise. We seem to end up with couples who spend a LOT of time discussing DVC points and acquisitions, or have also had couples who were quite demanding and difficult when ordering their meals, but they really have been entertaining and so we don't care! I find it fun. We are traveling with my brother and his wife this fall, so I am looking forward to seeing who we get paired with this time!
Distinkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Pfsedita
Earning My Ears

We are taking our first cruise in July. We are traveling with 2 other families, all on the same reservation. We are 13 total. Any thoughts on how we will be seated?

WDW 1990
DL 1999
WDW 2001
DL 2005
WDW Beach Club 2011
planning a cruise on the Fantasy for 2013!
Pfsedita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
My husband and I are possibly doing a cruise in August and this is the thing I dread the most about cruising! We cruised a few years ago as a family of 5 and we got a table to ourselves. This time it will just be the 2 of us and I look forward to having a nice dinner with my husband, not trying to have awkward conversations with strangers. I wish we could request to dine alone.
You can ask for a table to yourselves, but there is no guarantee that you will get your request. Others here have posted that you should go to whatever location is listed in the embarkation day Navigator for dining changes after boarding to check. DH and I will be celebrating our anniversary on the Dream in September, and I have requested a table for 2. We chose late dining, and that apparently increases your odds!

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
TDluvsDaisy
DVC Member BCV & VGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
I just did this last month for our anniversary cruise. It is a table for 4 but we only had place sittings for the 2 of us. PM me if you want more info. I was very happy that we sat alone this time.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Robmom
I used to be one of those kids
Won't say 6th grade teacher's name out loud

I requested a separate table for the 4 of us. The family next to us were exactly like us. Mom, Dad, teenager and 7 year old. I told my family that we were placed next to eachother because of the similarities. We also didn't want to make small talk to strangers. They obviously didn't either, because they never acknowledged us.

Me DH DD DS 1973 - Off Site, 1980 - CR, 2001 - ASMo, 2010 - POP, 2012 - DCL

Robmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
on our third cruise the three of us (me, wife, 7YO daughter) were paired with two 30-something YO girls who had taken their mom on a cruise for her 65th bday...we had a nice time and they were nice people but it seemed an odd pairing...

then again be careful what you wish for...on our first cruise we were paired with a mother/daughter and the little girl was a few years older than my daughter at the time...girl turned out to be rather mean and acted inappropriately to my daughter...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: