Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Delrea
Mouseketeer

So scared I'll be dissapointed on the Wonder

We took our very 1st cruise on the 7 night Fantasy last Nov and we loved it. We're seriously considering a cruise on the Wonder due to Itinerary. My Daughter loved the Aquaduck and we liked the room. Neither of our daughters cared about the Mexico/Grand Cayman ports but loved Castaway Cay. The Cruise we're considering has 2 stops at cc and 1 stop in the keys. It's a 5 night. Help
Delrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
asemaria
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrea View Post
We took our very 1st cruise on the 7 night Fantasy last Nov and we loved it. We're seriously considering a cruise on the Wonder due to Itinerary. My Daughter loved the Aquaduck and we liked the room. Neither of our daughters cared about the Mexico/Grand Cayman ports but loved Castaway Cay. The Cruise we're considering has 2 stops at cc and 1 stop in the keys. It's a 5 night. Help
Do it!
We loved the Fantasy as well. We are taking a 7 night Med Cruise on the Magic this summer, and I am too worried that we will be disappointed.
But, it IS a DCL cruise! was the best part? For us was it the service and the CMs and that means that we can't go wrong!
If I had two stops at CC I wouldn't hesitate at all.
Have fun!
WDW 2012 POFQ
DCL Fantasy Western Carribean april 2012
asemaria is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
1153rsmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Our first cruise was a 3 night on the Dream. Our second cruise was a 5 night on the Magic. I LOVE both ships. Both have advantages and disadvantages. The Magic and the Wonder are smaller ships, thus easier to get around in, and with almost 1/2 the number of passengers, the pool area is not quite as crazy. While the classic ships don't have all the bells and whistles the newer ships have, there is plenty to do, and they are by no means showing their age.

We sail on the Wonder 2 weeks from today, so I will be able to tell you more about it then, however, I don't think I will be disappointed. The other plus for the classic ships is they seem to be a better bargain than the new ships right now... I am not sure if that is just do to the port they are sailing from or because everyone wants on the new ships, but whatever the reason, it helps. I was able to take advantage of a Kids Sail Free offer for our Wonder cruise. You won't find those for either the Dream or the Fantasy right now.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 4 ships.
Senior Trip-off site-April 1985 |Honeymoon -OKW- December 1995 | First Trip with kids - OKW- September 2009 | Trip for DD B-day --AKV- May 2010 | Trip for DS B-Day-OKW-Sept 2011 & 3 Day Disney Dream Cruise | Magic 5 Night Key West-April 2012 | Our First Christmas Party-November 2012 | Mexico cruise on the Wonder-April 2013 | VWL - September 2013 | HHI & BWV for SWW-June 2014
Cast of Characters: DH DW DS (15) DD (12)

1153rsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
egesicki
Mouseketeer

2 CC is on my wish list, too! We had a similar experience, our first DCL cruise was on the Dream right after she was launched, our second was on Wonder. I would not stress about it, we had a great time on the Wonder. Just because it is a little older and a little smaller it did not detract at all from our experience. Although you won't have the AquaDuck, the pools are still there, the kids clubs are still there, the movie theatre, the arcade, plenty of stuff for the kiddos to do. Also broad range of food options and they were all good. We found the ship well maintained and of course the classic decor never goes out of style. Since it is a little smaller, two decks shorter, we almost never used the elevators and just headed for the stairs, better for us and less waiting. I think maybe the pools were less crowded too, or maybe just wishful thinking. Plus the star attraction IMHO is Castaway Cay anyway, and you get double, enjoy!

Dream 4nt Bahamas February 2011 9138, Wonder 4nt Bahamas March 2013 8084, WDW Mar 2015?

egesicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Well if you like overcrowded pools and lines then you will be disappointed. But if those don't appeal to you then the Magic/Wonder should be fine.

IMHO much better service then the dream and the crowding was considerably less. Honestly Disney didn't increase the "public" space near as much as they increased "number of bodies meaning IMHO the new ships are too crowded.
OrangeCountyCommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

Just disembarked the Wonder this morning. LOVE that ship! We have been on all four of them, and I honestly like the Wonder and Magic more. Much better adult pool and Castaway Cay is half as crowded. As Captain Thord told us, "we get to drive the Ferraris (Wonder and Magic) while they get to drive the buses." Key West is also a blast. My favorite stop other than CC.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

I had the same concern and started a thread about this the other day. The replies were very helpful...

http://httwww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3090963
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
mrp4352
DIS Veteran

There are differences between the different classes of ships - some of my favorite entertainment is on the Wonder, though! I think they have a much better sail-away show and Disney Dreams is my All-time favorite DCL show. The pirate show is different from the Dream (and I'm assuming the Fantasy), but still good (that said, the fireworks are more impressive on the Dream).

I've found stateroom staff on both ship classes to be about the same, but the meals on the Magic class tend to be a little more relaxed. I think you'll have a great time!! And you can't beat a CC double-dip cruise!!

Disney Dream Maiden Voyage trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post40042393
May 21, 2012 Yukon Ho! Wonder cruise report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2937171
mrp4352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
tallygirl
Mouseketeer

If it's the 10/1/14 cruise we are booked on that too! Two stops at CC and one at Key West sounds wonderful. We have been on the Magic and the Dream, loved them both and expect we will love the Wonder also.

We loved our servers on the Magic, so friendly and caring. Our Dream servers were adequate, just not as personable.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Delrea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallygirl
If it's the 10/1/14 cruise we are booked on that too! Two stops at CC and one at Key West sounds wonderful. We have been on the Magic and the Dream, loved them both and expect we will love the Wonder also.

We loved our servers on the Magic, so friendly and caring. Our Dream servers were adequate, just not as personable.
Yes! That's the one!
Delrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallygirl View Post

We're on that cruise as well!

OP, you'll love the Wonder. Don't spend another second worrying about it!

We've done two voyages on the Dream, and while it was beautiful, it's just too big and hectic for us. The pool areas were crazy crowded. The smaller ships are much more laid-back and relaxing. And two stops at CC is just the icing on the cake!!!
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
martinm
Grumpy Old Man

The Wonder is my favorite ship...

You have to want to have a bad time really bad to not enjoy yourself
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCNuts View Post
As Captain Thord told us, "we get to drive the Ferraris (Wonder and Magic) while they get to drive the buses."
Love that quote!
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )
FergusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Quote:
If you love Disney and you love cruising, you can't go wrong with any ship ...

We took the Dream three times before trying the Magic and Wonder, and loved every ship. Check out my trip report of my NYC cruise (see my sig and http://couchtogoofychallenge.blogspo...ey-cruise.html ) for some of my comparisons.

enjoy!

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Set your expectations accordingly. When I am eating pizza from Me & Ed's Pizza I do not expect it to taste like my homemade pizza. If I expected both to be the same I would be disappointed. I know the one from the Pizza Parlor is fast and I do not have to cook or cleanup. The homemade one is better tasting but I have to cook and clean up the mess.
On the cruises, I do not get the ice skating ring and rock climbing wall but I get Mickey Mouse. I do not get the big water slide but I do not get the big crowds. I do not get the nice new ship but I get to go to Key West, Alaska, Europe.... Everything is good, just look for it.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: