Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

wheelchair/scooter help!

So we leave in less than a wk and Mom my just got diagnosed with a bone spur on her toe. She plans on walking but I wanted info. on how & where to rent a wheelchair or motorized scooter @ the last minute just in case
DMLAINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
jeepwreck
DIS Veteran

you can rent both at the main gates of all parks, at customer service, how ever i believe you can only use it in the park so when you leave you have to return it
Hello my name is Jeff….. and I am a disoholic!
Me , (DW)Emily , (DS)James
jeepwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

If you do not rent a scooter early in the day in the parks, it is likely they are going to run out. this can happen with wheelchairs too, but generally this only happens during very crowded times.

If you look at the FAQs at the top of the page, you will see a list of off-site rental companies where you can rent either a wheelchair or scooter.

Understand that if you rent offsite, it may be the following day until they get can a scooter to you, depending on time and availability, etc. If you rent on-site, you must turn in the wheelchair or scooter at the exit gate. You cannot take them on buses or to the resorts.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMLAINI View Post
So we leave in less than a wk and Mom my just got diagnosed with a bone spur on her toe. She plans on walking but I wanted info. on how & where to rent a wheelchair or motorized scooter @ the last minute just in case
Although not on my toes, I have bone spurs on the sides of both of my feet. I didn't know they were there and during our January trip had major problems with deep blisters on the bottoms of my feet. Apparently, the stress from the spurs causes pressure on other parts of the feet.

Anyway, because of this I really messed up my feet. I ended up needing to rent a scooter for our March trip because my feet were not yet healed up. I rented from Apple Scooters and was very happy with both their service and their scooter.

If your mom decides to walk, please tell her to take care with her whole foot, not just the area of the spur. Mine are finally doing good enough that I will be walking during our trip later this month, but my feet will be pampered!
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

on two of our trips, we used walker mobility. they delivered scooter to our non-Disney resort before our arrival. we used it all week and left it at our hotel when we left. they break down and go in the trunk of rental car/suv. before using them, my dad had trouble getting into the park to rent scooter. we had handicap tag and parked in handicap. they would have a few, I mean only a few if any, wheel chairs in the parking lot. so he many times had to walk from the handicap lot into the park, which was too far for him. so we loved having scooter for the entire trip, so he had use of it anywhere he went and didn't have to go thru rental process each day.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrazie4dizney View Post
on two of our trips, we used walker mobility. they delivered scooter to our non-Disney resort before our arrival. we used it all week and left it at our hotel when we left. they break down and go in the trunk of rental car/suv. before using them, my dad had trouble getting into the park to rent scooter. we had handicap tag and parked in handicap. they would have a few, I mean only a few if any, wheel chairs in the parking lot. so he many times had to walk from the handicap lot into the park, which was too far for him. so we loved having scooter for the entire trip, so he had use of it anywhere he went and didn't have to go thru rental process each day.
Regarding scooter delivery - ibcrazie4dizney is correct about Walker being able to deliver to non-Disney resorts, but a change occurred at Disney owned resorts. On November 1, 2012, WDW started a 'Preferred Vendor' where only those vendors are allowed to deliver ahead of time and have the guest leave the scooter/wheelchair to pick up from the resort.
Other vendors need to arrange directly with the guest to deliver and pick up from the guest.
Walker is not one of the Preferered Vendors, at least at this time (March 2013), so they are not able to deliver ahead of time and pick up after you leave at Disney resorts. They are still a very good company, and many people still choose to use them.

Post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has more information about Preferred Vendors and has phone numbers and website links to those providers, along with some others that DIS Posters have recommended over the years.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

Thank You everyone!!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

I had to call Apple last minute on our trip the past March after a Disney CM broke my personal scooter. They had the scooter at my resort within an hour of calling. On a previous trip, another member of our party needed a scooter. We called Apple around noon and when we returned to our resort at around 3 that day, the scooter was there waiting for us.

Apple has bailed us out a couple of times now and I am totally satisfied with their service.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

Sounds like Apple will be a good option if she'd need it
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Sounds like Apple will be a good option if she'd need it
Sounds like she needs it. The question is, how to convince her?

jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
JudithM
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't hesitate to call Walker Mobility even though they are not on Disney's preferred provider list. They have served me well for over a decade, even with the new restrictions. I had no problem with delivery or pick-up under Disney's new rules/restrictions when I used Walker last fall. Walker personnel have always been very accommodating for me.

I called recently and asked about ECV rental and learned their prices have been lowered and they no longer charge a service charge .

DMLAINI, please let your mother know she (and your entire group) will have a much better time if she uses a scooter rather than be in pain, slow you all down, etc.
JudithM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. She still say she doesn't think she'll need anyone. She has been getting acupuncture and says it helps. DD4 did step on the toe today.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
utterrandomness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks everyone. She still say she doesn't think she'll need anyone. She has been getting acupuncture and says it helps. DD4 did step on the toe today.
Acupuncture is awesome. It worked for me for almost a year. I got 2-3 days of pain relief, barring any accidents/falls/vindictive women with strollers (only happened once), but I've wandered off topic. Sorry.

Personally, I'm pretty stubborn, so I think I can understand why she doesn't want to use one. The good news is that she can always change her mind. I'd perhaps remind her that the average person walks 8-12 miles at WDW.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
utterrandomness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
DMLAINI
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utterrandomness View Post
Acupuncture is awesome. It worked for me for almost a year. I got 2-3 days of pain relief, barring any accidents/falls/vindictive women with strollers (only happened once), but I've wandered off topic. Sorry.

Personally, I'm pretty stubborn, so I think I can understand why she doesn't want to use one. The good news is that she can always change her mind. I'd perhaps remind her that the average person walks 8-12 miles at WDW.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Thank You!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
DisneyMomma1
Mouseketeer

Scooter Questions

X

Last edited by DisneyMomma1; 04-11-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread
DisneyMomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: