Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
adisneytattoo91
Practically Perfect in Every Way

Exclamation Night before disembark?

This is my second cruise, and on my first cruise they took our luggage the night before dismbarking, we located it in the huge room in the morning, and wheeled it to our bus to go to our resort at WDW. But this time, we aren't going to WDW after, we are going straight home, so the night before disembark, we aren't sure that if we leave it out for them to take, will they put our luggage on the bus to go back to the airport and onto our plane? Or do we have to go to the luggage room, locate our luggage, and then wheel it to our bus?

WDW 2007 BoardWalk
WDW 2011 Beach Club Villas
WDW 2012 All Star Music
DCL 2012 Disney Dream - Bahamas
Disney Fairytale Wedding 2012
WDW 2012 Coronado Springs
WDW 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
DCL 2013 Disney Dream
WDW 2013 Caribbean Beach
adisneytattoo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

If your flight out is after the recommended time, you just put your luggage out the night before and you will see it again when you land at your home airport.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
If your flight out is after the recommended time, you just put your luggage out the night before and you will see it again when you land at your home airport.
I didn't know they did this. I just assumed we'd go down to the 'luggage storage area' and pick up our luggage. How do we go about paying the airline the baggage fee if DCL is delivering it to the airport for us?

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
hamm1207
Alaskan DIS Veteran

We've always picked it up in the port terminal before going through customs. Then we carried it to the bus and checked it at the airport.

May 2010 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder January 26-30, 2011 Disney Dream Maiden VoyageApril 27-May 3, 2011 West Coast Repo Disney Wonder December 4-11, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder Eastern Caribbean - April 13-20, 2012 Disney Magic First Galveston Cruise - Sept 22-29, 2012 Disney Magic Bahamas Dream - Sept 30-Oct 4, 2012 Disney DreamApril 28-May 2, 2013 Disney Dream BahamasMay 4-11, 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern CaribbeanOctober 27-November 1, 2013 Disney Magic out of Miami May 19, 2014 West Coast Repo-Disney Wonder May 24, 2014 Alaska Cruise-Disney Wonder
hamm1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Disneyfirstimers2013
Mouseketeer

Do you have to leave the luggage out? There are many things I will need that I will have to put back in my luggage before going on the plane.
Disneyfirstimers2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfirstimers2013 View Post
Do you have to leave the luggage out? There are many things I will need that I will have to put back in my luggage before going on the plane.
Oooo...good point! I will need to put my toiletries into checked luggage.

I assume that we can pick our luggage up and check it at the airport ourselves, right? That would probably be our best option. Then, I can slip our toiletries into the larger luggage before checking it.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
I didn't know they did this. I just assumed we'd go down to the 'luggage storage area' and pick up our luggage. How do we go about paying the airline the baggage fee if DCL is delivering it to the airport for us?
The only do it if you have an airline that allows luggage to be checked through by DCL. If you are on certain planes, such as Southwest, you have to claim your luggage in the luggage room, go through customs, and then take it to your bus, then check it at the airport.

If you are checking it through, you'll need to put your toiletries in it the night before because you won't get another chance. You could always keep one bag, put everything in it and check it yourself at MCO.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
clten
DIS Veteran

If you are able to participate in Onboard Airline Check-in (check for participating airlines and times for your flights. I think current info is in the sticky and on DCL's website. And you do have to use DCL transfers at least one way - most do it from ship to port). You do have to sign up for this service (airline charges for luggage are charged to your shipboard account). If you want access to your luggage on the last morning, don't sign up for this service. If you use this service (and it is great) they give you tags that look like airline tags to put on your bags and these suitcases you will not see until you arrive in your home airport. If you are not able to participate, you will get color/character luggage tags that you will put on your bags when you leave them out on the last night. These bags you must claim in the terminal and take them with you to your transportation (or have a porter help you do that). When we participate in onboard check-in, we plan ahead for the toilitries we will need the last night/morning and pack everything else. We either have small travel size items we can put in a ziploc baggie and carry on the plane with us or we throw them out (usually this option). We also have them take our airline carry-on bag off the ship for us. We get one of the character tags and put that on our airline carry-on bag and the other tags on the bags to be checked right through our destination. We do have to make a quick stop in the terminal to grab our one small bag but it saves us taking it to breakfast with us.

No, you are not required to leave your bags out the night before. You may take them off with you in the morning but you must be out of your stateroom with all your luggage by 8 -- so you will see a lot of luggage piled by the front of restaurants especially late seating breakfast.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
whamma
DIS Veteran

This thread is just what I needed! The whole leaving the bags the night before thing hit me today and for the first time we are leaving directly from the ship to MCO on DCL transfers AND using an airline that participates in online check-in through DCL.

All that being said, I know that our last night/morning we will need things that I can't carry on the plane. If we have 4 pieces of luggage that need to be checked, can I have DCL On-Board Airline Check-In take the 3 pieces the night before (& on to MCO for us) then on disembarkation day, we will take the 4th bag with us off the ship and check it ourselves at MCO?? I think I read somewhere that if we tell DCL we are checking 3 bags with them, this will be okay. I'm just not sure if this will confuse AirTran when we get to the airport and check a bag on our own. Anyone know for sure?
WDW with DVC: AKV- Jambo March 20-28, 2009, SSR July 10-17, 2009, BLT/AKV-Kidani Dec. 20-27, 2009, WL April 1-4, 2010, OKW July 25-31, 2010, BWV March 31-April 3, 2011, SSR August 9-16, 2011, BLT December 17-24, 2011, SSR July 31-August 6, 2012, POLY Sept. 6-9, 2012,BLT April 12-14, 2013, BCV/BLT July 19-27, 2014
DCL Cruises: Magic Western Caribbean March 22-29, 2008, Wonder 4-night Bahamas April 4-8, 2010, Dream 4-night Bahamas March 27-31, 2011, DCL Dream 4-night Bahamas April 14-18, 2013

Disneyland: GCV April 5-12, 2012, GCV March 22-28, 2014
Upcoming Trips: 1st Disney Princess Half Marathon BLT February 20-24, 2015, DCL Fantasy 7-night Eastern March 28-April 4, 2015
DVC member AKV 2008 BLT 2009
whamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

Can we just carry our own bags off and skip breakfast and maybe catch an extra hour of sleep? I'm sure after 4 days of eating we will be fine with the extra sleep and grabbing a doughnut somewhere. If so, what time do we have to be out of our room......no pressing plans that day! Thanks
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #11
ChristinaDK
Just like we dreeeeeaaaamm it

Can we use that service, if we are going from Puerto Rico to New York after the cruise? What does happen if the luggage isn't there in the airport? Can someone please tell me step-by-step how it works? I'm sorry to be trouble, but my boyfriend has ADHD, so I need to have every step planed

ChristinaDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaDK View Post
Can we use that service, if we are going from Puerto Rico to New York after the cruise? What does happen if the luggage isn't there in the airport? Can someone please tell me step-by-step how it works? I'm sorry to be trouble, but my boyfriend has ADHD, so I need to have every step planed
I think it's only available if you're flying out of Orlando. Haven't heard of anyone being able to use when flying out of Puerto Rico.

Onboard check-in sounds so convenient but we usually fly Southwest so we've never been able to use the service.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeppers View Post
Can we just carry our own bags off and skip breakfast and maybe catch an extra hour of sleep? I'm sure after 4 days of eating we will be fine with the extra sleep and grabbing a doughnut somewhere. If so, what time do we have to be out of our room......no pressing plans that day! Thanks
I am interested in the answer to this too. We will be taking a private shuttle to WDW after, and DH doesn't want to leave the bags outside room the night before. Does anyone know the procedure if you are taking a private shuttle and not DCL bus? Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

You will need to be off the ship by around 9 am. You can carry your bags off or leave them outside your room the night before and pick them up in the terminal before going through customs.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeppers View Post
At 9am they get serious on the PA system about disembarking.

You can leave bags out with the tags they give you the night before, and they'll simply be taken off the ship and put in the customs area, to grab before you get in line to clear customs.

We were taking the DCL bus to the airport, but not taking a flight, and we set them out the night before and were reunited with them the next morning. Porter grabbed them for us, walked with us through the line, took the bags to the bus and either he or the driver loaded them on.

If you qualify for the checkin service, you can leave the bags out with the tags given based on signing up for that (there was paperwork in our cabin about it, you had to sign up by a certain time to take part in it) and see your bags when you get to your home airport.

You can just lug them by yourself, taking them with you wherever you go that morning.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: