Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
xera12
Mouseketeer

Personal Question

We are going as a group of four; me, my brother, and our two friends who are dating. We are all mid to late 20s. My friends boyfriend is very picky and kinda whine-ey. I am sooo worried that he will ruin the trip with this. He gets so impatient and i want to relax and enjoy myself. For example, he is soooo picky about food, so my friend purposely picked places he will eat at. They picked liberty tree tavern, which sounds good but when i told my friend (we btw are only eating TS meals for dinner) that they had only a "thanksgiving" family style option my friend goes "oh... Well i talked to him and he said that he will eat the veggies and the Mac and cheese so thats ok". I get the feeling he will finish waaaay before the rest of us and complain that he wants to go.

I dont know if i should address this possibility before or only if it happens... I am not really friends with the boyfriend, hes just ok, but he complained alot until we invited him.

I just feel like this is my vacation too, and its him with the problem not the rest of us. I dont want to be not enjoying myself because i am always thinking he will have a hissy fit.

Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?

Next trip with Me and DBFF Diane (25)!!

Check out my First trip to WDW TR!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3160264

xera12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

you might want to check the menus online and have him look at them and help decide where to eat.
Dh is very picky and he likes Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's.

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Aerten
Earning My Ears

Best thing about Disney is that there is something for everyone. If you've done your best to accommodate this picky person in the plans then don't worry about it. If they finish before you and haven't the manners to sit patiently until everyone else finishes then they have the option to get up and wander the park. Plenty of things to do and see around the area if they can't sit still and enjoy company and conversation.

Don't stress is the big thing! Be considerate but you shouldn't be the only one walking on eggshells.
Aerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
belle032
Mouseketeer

I felt the same way on our last trip. It was me, my (now) fiance, his best friend and his sister. I am very much the "let's go! let's try new places to eat! let's stay out late!" person while his sister was "I just want to relax and lay by the pool. It's sooo hot, do we have to go to another park?" It drove me nuts! I suggested she stay at the hotel if she wanted but she always insisted she go w/us and then just complained.

I agree w/the other posters though, go off with your brother and do your own thing. The best day I had was when my fiance and I had an afternoon to ourselves. Don't stress! It's everyone's vacation so you should each enjoy it the way you want to! If that means ditching the 2 of them, then do it!

University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Joyosaurusrex
Earning My Ears

I agree with the other posters, but also wanted to add something. You might want to agree beforehand (in a humble manner of course) That sometimes we all get a bit grumpy when we are overstimulated and it might be good to take some time apart while you are on the trip to re-group. It sounds like you all might have decided already to all eat together, but I would encourage you to maybe choose one "everybody" meal a day(at a place everyone likes, not just the whiney guy) and then have the rest be on your own.
Beyond the "everybody" meal: If you are sure you want to eat at XYZ restaurant and need to make an ADR open it up to the group but with the caveat that it is just where you want to eat and you are inviting them to join you, they are welcome to eat where they prefer if they don't like the menu. That way you are including everyone, but you aren't letting their issues dictate the kind of trip you have.
I've been on one or two trips like this and the biggest mistake I feel like you can make is convincing yourselves that you have to do everything together. For example, when I go to Disney I am up with the sun I want to get up and go and then like to be a bit more relaxed in the afternoon/evening. My last trip I went with one person who was like me, but the other three of our group were not interested in waking until much later in the morning. So we decided that since we knew that we would all like to eat in the park for lunch(and would be up and ready to by then) that we would make that our "group" meal and planned accordingly. Obviously we would stick together as much as we wanted, but didn't feel any pressure. If someone wanted to go to Country Bear Jamboree(me) and everyone else hated that attraction, we would split up and then meet again later.
I think being with a whiney person on a trip the best thing to do is to brush it off and say "ok you don't have to come with us, we'll meet up afterwards" instead of getting furious and saying "why don't you shove it up your..."

Hope that helped
Joyosaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
xera12
Mouseketeer

We each got to pick 2 places to eat and we have two free days where it will be just my friend and the bf, and me and my brother... We are also doing redo days at the end (we are going for 12 days) and i figure we will split up then too... But he has been there like 20 times and it is th first time for te rest of us and i feel like hes gonna be like oh that ride sucks or whatever (he has already started this) and my friend will feel obligated to stick with him. Is there a way to sorta bring this up without anyone's feelings getting hurt? Should i bring it up as a group or just confer with my friend?

Next trip with Me and DBFF Diane (25)!!

Check out my First trip to WDW TR!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3160264

xera12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
belle032
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xera12 View Post
We each got to pick 2 places to eat and we have two free days where it will be just my friend and the bf, and me and my brother... We are also doing redo days at the end (we are going for 12 days) and i figure we will split up then too... But he has been there like 20 times and it is th first time for te rest of us and i feel like hes gonna be like oh that ride sucks or whatever (he has already started this) and my friend will feel obligated to stick with him. Is there a way to sorta bring this up without anyone's feelings getting hurt? Should i bring it up as a group or just confer with my friend?
I'd clear the air now and at least mention that because it is you and your brothers first time, you are looking to experience EVERYTHING. This BF may hate an attraction, but you may love it and you'll never know it because you took his word for it. Just because someone hates something doesn't mean everyone in the group will. Example: Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest, or even It's a Small world. Just tell him point blank that you will experience what you want to experience and if he doesn't enjoy something, then he can feel free to meet up with you later. Like another poster said, don't feel like you have to stick together everyday all day. And tell your friend she is welcome to come with you or stay with him, that's going to be her decision.

Even though it sounds like this kid should be left at home if he's going to cause this much stress I'd mention the things that are bothering you now before they cause a blow up later. Don't let one person ruin your vacation! This is supposed to be magical!

University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: