Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

I have a cousin who's daughter has autism and has a service dog. The one thing that has upset me over the years (as an animal lover) is that the daughter does not always make decisions that are in the dog's best interest, and her parents haven't always taken on that responsibility. For example, we were all at a summertime family picnic, it was *very* hot, she wanted to run under the sprinklers, it seemed to distress the dog, yet she insisted that she and the dog continue to do it. The parents did not interfere.

My point is that a dog is *not* an inanimate object, and a responsible adult (whether it be one of you two parents, the nanny, or whomever) will have to be, well, responsible, for the dog's well being 24/7, when it's on duty or off. A dog, by its nature and training, will try to do it's best to please the child it's serving, but the child cannot be expected to always do whats best for the dog.

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

What goals do you actually have for this dog? I don't know if you've thought about this or not since you haven't said anything in this thread beyond the fact that your DS responds well to dogs. If you just want a companion who he responds well to then you might even be fine with going to a few shelters until you find an animal he interacts well with. If the dog will be expected to have specific jobs/functions (recognize when he's getting agitated and respond accordingly, keep him from wandering, etc) then obviously this isn't going to work. I'm just suggesting that you really think about what it is you really need from the dog.

My autistic DD15 responds really well to animals as well. Whenever she goes to somebody's house and they have an animal of any kind (well, a calm one) she could just sit with the animal for hours cuddling and petting it. Even if she's agitated, you can see her physically relax. She doesn't need a therapy pet, service pet or any other special kind of pet. If it wasn't for our allergies we'd get her a cat but just a regular old house cat as that's all she needs to suit her needs. When she moves out of our house and is self-sufficient (I have no reason to doubt that this will happen), she intends to get a cat (she's not the one with the animal allergies).

ETA: There is no such thing as a 100% hypoallergenic dog. There are dogs with significantly less allergens but there are those of us who will still react to them. I've tried playing with poodles and mixed poodle breeds but I'm allergic to not only the fur but also the dander and saliva so I still react to them. My reactions aren't as bad with the lower allergen dogs but I couldn't function if I had one in my home.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: