Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
JBAK549
Earning My Ears

Bracelet beads, AAA discount change, Photo Connect

Just returned and wanted to note a couple of things.

I'm not a poster but a trip research junkie and thought others might find this helpful.

I've always gotten a little thrill from saving 10% on my $2.29 cup of coffee while using my AAA card discount.

We were making a purchase and told by the cashier a minimum purchase of $50 was needed for the AAA discount. Another cashier interrupted and said the discount change won't take place until the 8th. I asked for details out of curiosity. As far as they knew, there will be a $50 minimum to get the 10% discount but purchases of $75 or more would get a 15% discount.

Perhaps someone can verify after the 8th. I know I'm not the only person on this board to take advantage of the AAA card discount from a cup of coffee to Mythos!

I did a search for beads for my Troll beads bracelet (similar to Pandora, etc.) prior to leaving and couldn't find anything. I asked around in the parks and found a bead counter with a large selection. It's in a Universal Studios shop attached to the I Love Lucy tribute. I have a bracelet with kid-approved trip-related beads and ended up with a Transformers bead and a sorting hat bead. All were $7 except the Universal globe which was $15. Frankly, I couldn't really see any detail in the globe. They had a buy one, get one 50% off deal.

Also took advantage of photo connect. We loved it; kids hated stopping as we entered the parks. We explained it's the price they had to pay for going on vacation. We had express passes (stay at Royal Pacific) and tend to pop from one park to another throughout the day depending on what ride we wanted to go on which resulted in many photos over three days, especially when all the ride photos are added in. There is a photo booth in the Spiderman queque that we didn't know existed because the express line bypasses it. A kind employee lead us directly to it through a back way so we could get a photo with us on the cover of the Daily Bugle. Very cool!
JBAK549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the updates! That really STINKS about the AAA discount.I wonder if that goes for dining too
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

even though i stay onsite, i always do the regular lines for rides at least once.

the express line for rides do by pass some things you would want to see.

interesting about the new AAA discount policy.
i have that card and the APH so i'm still safe for those single cups of coffee discounts.

thx for sharing.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Hmm. We used the AAA discount last time, for many purchases less than $50. This time dh will have an AP, and we thought it wouldn't really be much different...but maybe this makes the AP more "worth it". Assuming they aren't changing the required purchase minimum for that too??

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
chudson98
Mouseketeer

What's AP?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Annual Pass

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
chudson98
Mouseketeer

Duh! Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
Hmm. We used the AAA discount last time, for many purchases less than $50. This time dh will have an AP, and we thought it wouldn't really be much different...but maybe this makes the AP more "worth it". Assuming they aren't changing the required purchase minimum for that too??
Exactly! If Universal made the $50 requirement on annual passes as well, I think they'd see MANY people complain so I think it's safe.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
BeccaDoingDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAK549
Just returned and wanted to note a couple of things.

I'm not a poster but a trip research junkie and thought others might find this helpful.

I've always gotten a little thrill from saving 10% on my $2.29 cup of coffee while using my AAA card discount.

We were making a purchase and told by the cashier a minimum purchase of $50 was needed for the AAA discount. Another cashier interrupted and said the discount change won't take place until the 8th. I asked for details out of curiosity. As far as they knew, there will be a $50 minimum to get the 10% discount but purchases of $75 or more would get a 15% discount.

Perhaps someone can verify after the 8th. I know I'm not the only person on this board to take advantage of the AAA card discount from a cup of coffee to Mythos!

I did a search for beads for my Troll beads bracelet (similar to Pandora, etc.) prior to leaving and couldn't find anything. I asked around in the parks and found a bead counter with a large selection. It's in a Universal Studios shop attached to the I Love Lucy tribute. I have a bracelet with kid-approved trip-related beads and ended up with a Transformers bead and a sorting hat bead. All were $7 except the Universal globe which was $15. Frankly, I couldn't really see any detail in the globe. They had a buy one, get one 50% off deal.

Also took advantage of photo connect. We loved it; kids hated stopping as we entered the parks. We explained it's the price they had to pay for going on vacation. We had express passes (stay at Royal Pacific) and tend to pop from one park to another throughout the day depending on what ride we wanted to go on which resulted in many photos over three days, especially when all the ride photos are added in. There is a photo booth in the Spiderman queque that we didn't know existed because the express line bypasses it. A kind employee lead us directly to it through a back way so we could get a photo with us on the cover of the Daily Bugle. Very cool!
Hello! Were taking our trip to Universal in May and are currently thinking about buying a photo connect package. Was photo connect inconvenient for you and your family? Did it take a lot of time out of your day for the pictures? Just trying fo figure out if it's really worth it to get the package..
BeccaDoingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Hi-
Did you pre-purchase photoconnect? Mind if i ask how much it was?

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

bump so people see the discount change...

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
CPA_ESQ.
Mouseketeer

about the AAA discount for purchases over $50. We would use it to buy drinks, food, etc.
CPA_ESQ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA_ESQ. View Post
about the AAA discount for purchases over $50. We would use it to buy drinks, food, etc.

The $50 minimum seems to be for food as well.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
ky07
Proud Redhead
Earning My Globe •o•
Yeah and we all are trying to get together

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA_ESQ. View Post
Don't feel bad cause I just renewed my membership for that reason and just found out about the new rules
Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #15
hpriamson
Mouseketeer

Just got back, we were in Universal 4/11-14, and yes the AAA discount is now changed. No discount for purchases under $50, 10% discount for $50-$75, and 15% discount for purchases over $75. AP discount was still a flat 10% on anything, no minimum.

They're also still running the unrelated promotion - spend more than $50 get a $10 gift card. So if you're making a large purchase, it can be worth it to split it up into as many $50 chunks as possible, since the $10 gift card is better than the additional 5% AAA discount, assuming you'll have use for the card.

And photoconnect was definitely worth it for us. For rides, it only took 30 seconds to add the picture to the card, and the roving photographers only spend as much time as you want them to. My wife doesn't go on many rides, especially at Universal, so getting lots of good pictures is her thing. We came home with 60+ prints with the unlimited print package upgrade.
hpriamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: