Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #31
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

I think you should fly in the day before, I vacation about 4-5 times a year and the only times I have ever had flight delays is when I absolutely have to be someplace at a certain time. I did the MED in 2011 and my flight was 4 hours late, I made the cruise but was way overstressed, needless to say I am flying in the day before this year. The cost of the hotel in small considering the cost of the entire cruise. Just for piece of mind fly in the day before expecially in November the weather is too unpredictable.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #32
MDTerp
Mouseketeer

7 DCL cruises - 4 of them we flew in "day of" with no issues. Three were from PC, one from Miami. For us it depends on time, price, school/work schedule. We flew to Barcelona a day early (wasn't ready to risk that one), two PC cruises were during holiday times and we spent a day or two at WDW before cruising.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
September 2009 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
September 2010 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
July 2011 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Disney Magic
April 2012 - 5 Night Double Dip - Disney Dream
November 2012 - Bahamas - Disney Dream
March 2013 - Mexico/Castaway Cay - Disney Wonder
February 2014 - Bahamas - Disney Magic
October 2014 - 3-Day Repo Castaway Cay - Disney Magic

DVC Member Since 2007 - AKV, BLT and BWV
Trips to the World...2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2013
MDTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #33
reevesinga
Mouseketeer

We have driven and flown in the morning of the cruise! I loved driving even though it was an 8 hours drive! A-because we were on our own pace and B- because I did not have to get up at 4am and take 2 days to recover and lastly C-I could pack whatever I wanted!! :-)
reevesinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #34
Bree
Mouseketeer

NEVER Again....

Our last cruise was on RCL leaving out of San Juan. US Airways lost my luggage and stupid me didn't have a carry-on because I hate bringing stuff on the plane with me. Well, I have learned my lesson. I did not get my luggage until the 3rd day of the cruise when we arrived in Aruba. It sucked big time. I had to borrow a dress for formal night and pay $$$$$$ for a swim suit (very ugly at that), underwear and a change of clothes on board. Luckily we had insurance and got reimbursed for it, but it was not a pleasant experience. So now on I will fly down the day before and have my carry-on with changes of clothing.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #35
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

I think we will take ME from airport and stay at POR one night before cruise, in morning take private shuttle to port. And then after cruise, take private shuttle back to POR for a week! Also, this way we can sort of surprise the kiddos too with the cruise. It is not worth the stress. Wow, thanks for helping me sort this!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
Our last cruise was on RCL leaving out of San Juan. US Airways lost my luggage and stupid me didn't have a carry-on because I hate bringing stuff on the plane with me. Well, I have learned my lesson. I did not get my luggage until the 3rd day of the cruise when we arrived in Aruba. It sucked big time. I had to borrow a dress for formal night and pay $$$$$$ for a swim suit (very ugly at that), underwear and a change of clothes on board. Luckily we had insurance and got reimbursed for it, but it was not a pleasant experience. So now on I will fly down the day before and have my carry-on with changes of clothing.
US Airways is the worst for luggage problems! So sorry that happened but glad you finally got it.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #37
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
I think we will take ME from airport and stay at POR one night before cruise, in morning take private shuttle to port. And then after cruise, take private shuttle back to POR for a week! Also, this way we can sort of surprise the kiddos too with the cruise. It is not worth the stress. Wow, thanks for helping me sort this!
Sounds like a good plan!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #38
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Reading this thread has me worried, YIKES!!! We are flying in the same day as our cruise, now I am wishing we were flying in the night before!!! It's a direct flight, just over 2 hrs, and arrives at MCO at 11:30 am, that was the earliest available flight leaving Cincinnati. It's on Sept 1st, that's the time we've gone to WDW for the past 3 years and we've never had an issue so hopefully this time will be just as smooth!!!!!

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #39
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Did you see the thread where the DCL left early on Sunday because they wanted to avoid bad weather that was coming? Sometimes we think we have plenty of time, but I never thought of a ship leaving port early. It can happen. I wonder how that works out with flights, luggages, and transports to the ship. It could be fine for you, and I hope it is. We always arrive a day or two early to play in Orlando before embarkation. On the way back, it's no big deal because you won't miss your vacation when you get back...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #40
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

We always arrive the day before. Just like many people have said before, it's kind of like an insurance policy in case anything goes wrong, but we do it for another reason too. The pools and lunch buffet are open as soon as you board so the earlier you arrive, the sooner you're on vacation! My first few cruises I was always jealous of those people in the pool when we boarded later in the afternoon. Now our family is one of the first ones on board.

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #41
DznyCrzy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids
Did you see the thread where the DCL left early on Sunday because they wanted to avoid bad weather that was coming? Sometimes we think we have plenty of time, but I never thought of a ship leaving port early. It can happen. I wonder how that works out with flights, luggages, and transports to the ship. It could be fine for you, and I hope it is. We always arrive a day or two early to play in Orlando before embarkation. On the way back, it's no big deal because you won't miss your vacation when you get back...
Jeez, I have never heard of that either!!!! Now I'm going to look and see if I can change my flight from Sunday morning to Sat or even Friday evening and enjoy a night or two at WDW prior to the cruise, I doubt I'll be able to though.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #42
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I hope it does work out for you though. Adding a day makes the trip SO much fun. You can add it on the day you disembark too. But for the sake of flying, I would do whatever you could to come in the evening before at a minimum. You might be absolutely fine on Sunday. I'm betting though that you will probably be on pins and needles all morning and arrive super stressed... so if you can come in Friday, have a great Sat (the parks are usually open late on Sat too) and then have a very leisurely morning to embark, you will probably be grateful if you can move it. If not, just do the best you can and make sure you are very organized once you get to MCO...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #43
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Update for us, we are booked to stay in Cocoa Beach the night before. Flights are purchased. Thanks everyone for their opinions!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #44
DznyCrzy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3
Update for us, we are booked to stay in Cocoa Beach the night before. Flights are purchased. Thanks everyone for their opinions!
Jen I think you made a great choice!!! I wish we were flying in the day before! Our flight gets to MCO at 11:30 am so IF there are no issues with the plane or weather, hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, then we'll be fine....it's the "IF", lol.

Sent from my GalaxyS II

Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #45
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Just trying to decide whether this is feasible, or come in the day before and stay at a hotel near the port. Thoughts from those who have done both? TIA
Edited to add this will be in November if that makes any difference.
Here is my take:

If you are going on a hotel vacation, say WDW, and you arrive a day late, you lose a day of vacation. That is a little disappointing, but you get over it and enjoy the rest of the week.

If you are going on a cruise and you arrive one minute after the ship has left port, what now? Will you fly to Nassau to join the ship? How much will that cost? If you are on the Magic out of Miami, it goes to Castaway Cay first; there are no flights there. You just missed your entire vacation. Not a half day, not a day, the ENTIRE vacation.

Flying in the night before adds $100 in food and hotel costs. Not only does it provide a stress-free environment, it gives you time to explore your port city or play in a hotel pool or check out the beach. This is vacation insurance that pays off more often than vacation insurance, and it even provides a little fun time.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: