Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Mtinkerbell5189
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeandreaming

U.S. Air by any chance?
Yes it was US air. They were not helpful and even the people at the Disney ME desk were surprised at how rude they were being to me. I only got answers after calling them and demanding to be transferred to a supervisor who then called the Philly airport. In Orlando they could not even tell us if our luggage was even in their possession. On the phone I got more answers and eventually it was put in a later flight. Luckily we were on a very early flight and had all day to deal with this. We only knew because we checked one bag that we wanted to pick up and carry on the ship with us. The two other bags had dlc tags and one dis not. If we put dcl tags on all our luggage then I don't think we would have known to ask the me agent and we would just be wondering why it was not in our stateroom.
Mtinkerbell5189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
safeti01
Mouseketeer

Would never flyin the same date. Way to much stress. In Sept we flew in the day before and stayed at WDW POP. By the time we got settled and had lunch, it created a issue because we had to take Disney transportation to every place. The the next morning we had to wait till 12:45 to get DCL trans to the port.

We are going in Feb of 14 and going down 2 days before and staying at BLT (we are DVC member.) This way we can really enjoy the trip.
safeti01 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
JRM815
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Just trying to decide whether this is feasible, or come in the day before and stay at a hotel near the port. Thoughts from those who have done both? TIA
Edited to add this will be in November if that makes any difference.
We've gone this three times, twice with DCL and once with another cruise line.

The first time (done with the non-DCL line) was the most stressful. We had a flight on American from New York's LaGuardia airport to Ft. Lauderdale at 8:00am. Because of traffic we arrived a bit late, but we got to the front of the check-in line one hour before the flight. We were told it was not enough time to have our luggage scanned and put on board. We ended up getting on a 10:30 flight, and arrived just in the nick of time to get on board the ship. I was totally stressed out and was doubly worried until our luggage finally got to our cabin by 8:00pm.

The second time was with DCL. We booked our own flights, took Disney transport from MCO to the port, and everything was fine. The flight we took ended up getting us to the ship by 1:30, well before the last call for boarding the ship, and the timing worked out. Unfortunately, because of a hurricane in the eastern Caribbean our itinerary was switched to be a western cruise, but that is another story.

The last time was also with DCL, and we finally got to do the eastern cruise, this time on the Fantasy. We let Disney book our flights, and ended up getting a really early departure from LGA (6:00am). This meant we had to leave our house by 3:00am to get to the airport, check-in, get through security, etc. Once on the plane, things were great. I and the kids napped on the flight, getting to the ship (again with Disney busses) was a breeze, and we were among the first groups allowed to board once the boarding began (I think we were part of group #7). We brought some swimwear in our carry-on and were some of the first people on the Aquaduck.

So, from my experience I'd say it was doable, it can save you the cost of a hotel room, but it can be stressful. I would not recommend trying it unless you can get a direct flight into Orlando, you can catch an early flight, and you can catch a later flight if something goes wrong.
JRM815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

DH just mentioned that just for the sake of my stress levels alone we should do the day before. So...next question what hotel at port is good for a family of five but not too pricey??
Old 04-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtinkerbell5189 View Post
Yes it was US air. They were not helpful and even the people at the Disney ME desk were surprised at how rude they were being to me. I only got answers after calling them and demanding to be transferred to a supervisor who then called the Philly airport. In Orlando they could not even tell us if our luggage was even in their possession. On the phone I got more answers and eventually it was put in a later flight. Luckily we were on a very early flight and had all day to deal with this. We only knew because we checked one bag that we wanted to pick up and carry on the ship with us. The two other bags had dlc tags and one dis not. If we put dcl tags on all our luggage then I don't think we would have known to ask the me agent and we would just be wondering why it was not in our stateroom.
I figured as much! Whenever we have baggage issues, it's always when we're flying US Air. I try to avoid them whenever possible. Sorry you had so many problems on that trip, but glad it all worked out in the end
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
ppony
Artist in residence

Just asking the question indecates you ahve a pretty good diea that it's not the best idea. Unless you really like stress, don't give yourself months of worry. Fly in the day before. We usually stay at WDW before and we might again been for just a night, BUT if we decide not to, you can always stay right there at the Hyatt in the airport itself and take a transfer in the AM. those are the 2 easiest options IMO. Yeah, you can get out to the coast and stay there that night... but meh.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

I have done it for both my cruises. Both times we took the first flight out in the morning. Just the first time we had major issues. Something was mechanically wrong with 2 planes they tried to get us on and we were delayed over 4 hours. The terrible thing was we were planing on breakfast with family but instead of that they had to speed is to the port. BF and I were the last group to board and it was only us and the 10 other families who were on our same flight.

We didn't want to do it the 2nd cruise but it was our only option. We didn't have any problems that time an arrived to the port several hours early. Disney let us board early so there was no problem.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
ludari
DIS Veteran

I have flown in on the day of my cruise twice but I made sure that I flew out on the first available flight for the day and made sure that they where multiple flights that would allow me to get to the port in time for departure. When this is not possible I would fly out at least two days prior to the cruise departure.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
UtahCruise
Earning My Ears

We had the unfortunate incident of having our SW flight cancelled with no explanation(later found out all planes grounded due to a hull breech on another flight) It was extremely hard and expensive to find another last minute flght with another carrier(thank goodness for trip insurance).
UtahCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
axfather
Mouseketeer

We always fly in the day of the cruise

due to my work issues, etc. Most of time, we don't even arrive at MCO until around 1. no issues in 16 cruises but I know I am due for a problem sooner or later! If it happens, I will just count myself lucky it did not happen before....
axfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
axfather
Mouseketeer

forgot to mention

we never pack until the night before!
axfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
dahuffy
Always Be Nice To The Lunch Lady

We rented a car,stayed at a Quality Inn in Orlando,then drove to port the next morning. We were able to stop at Walmart and pick up a few things before getting to the ship.
dahuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #28
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post

. . . flying to Florida takes us at least 5 hrs (plus the time zone changes) so we always fly in the day before.
We do the same.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #29
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by safeti01 View Post
Would never flyin the same date. Way to much stress. In Sept we flew in the day before and stayed at WDW POP. By the time we got settled and had lunch, it created a issue because we had to take Disney transportation to every place. The the next morning we had to wait till 12:45 to get DCL trans to the port.

We are going in Feb of 14 and going down 2 days before and staying at BLT (we are DVC member.) This way we can really enjoy the trip.
We are going in Feb too! (Feb. 15th) Coming in three days before to get a little park time. (DVC members too!)
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
PWammy
Mouseketeer

I've cruised over a dozen times and only flown in the night before a couple of times, but I'm on the East coast, able to get direct flights to my ports of choice. I've never had a problem, but probably wouldn't do it if I had to connect or if there was any chance of extreme weather.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: