Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
ratfam
Mouseketeer

Were Your Celebrations Acknowledged?

I am wondering what others' experiences have been with noting celebrations on their ADRs. Our trip was for our DD's high school graduation, and for most of the trip she had a friend with her. We were very careful to only note the celebration on ADRs where she would be joining us. Frankly, I don't know that I even would have thought about it except that I made some of the reservations by phone rather than online and the CM's always asked and made a big deal about it and how they were noting it, so I added it to my online ADRs as well. I didn't expect anything other than some Mickey confetti on the table and maybe a "congratulations" or someone asking about the celebration. Well, out of 6 reservations (including some bigger-ticket dinners like BOG and Fantasmic dinner package) the only place that the celebration was recognized with confetti on the table was Crystal Palace, which is my DD's favorite place because she loves Pooh and was sadly the only ADR she missed because she was sick and just couldn't drag herself out of the hotel that day, my DH stayed behind with her so it was just DS and I. I am sorry that I didn't say something at the prior ADRs, I don't think she noticed anything but it would have been nice for her to feel like something special was done. It seems like at least 50% of visitors have some kind of button on--has it just gotten to be too much with everyone saying they are celebrating something so that only a few places really recognize the celebrations? Or is it just the luck of the draw? We will be doing the same thing for DS and his friends in not too long, so at least I will know if I should be doing something differently.
ratfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

It's really just the luck of the draw. We've been for our anniversary a couple of times and we've gotten:
--confetti on the table
--cards from characters at restaurants
--cupcakes
--champagne
--phone calls to the room
--cards from characters in our room
--special desserts

There are a lot of people there celebrating so many different things and it really is up to the CMs. Plus, Disney never charged us for any of the above so it was a nice surprise when it happened, but we certainly didn't expect it at every meal. Can you imagine how much more expensive Disney would get if they were giving the above away at every single meal for a trip?

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

We put graduation on ours too and got zilch! Kind of upsetting but I can't expect anything!!

For our anniversary we only got a couple of tiny cupcakes. I don't ever get any pixie dust!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
brertoad
DIS Veteran

It varies greatly, as PP said, it all depends on the CMs.

For my DH's birthday celebration, they made sure he had a birthday button at check-in. Lots of CMs wished him a Happy Birthday. We were given a champagne toast at Artist Point by our waiter. At Garden View Tea Room, the CM gave DH 2 or 3 extra small desserts, the little ones they bring around on the tray. At LTT, they put confetti on the table. At Via Napoli, a whole bunch of people sang for my DH and brought a small cookie with cream and a candle, that was a surprise.

For my birthday, they didn't give me a button at check-in (and I forgot to ask). At Boma, they were going to give me a button but couldn't find a sharpie that worked, so that didn't go so well. We went into town hall at MK later to ask for a button for me. Which I put on, but it didn't seem to matter. We ate at Cosmic Ray's later that night, the CM didn't acknowledge me. That was basically the whole tone of my birthday, I had higher expectations based on what my DH and I had experienced just 6 months earlier for his birthday. I felt like Eeyore.

We've never been given any cupcake(s), which is kind of a bummer to me. I've seen them do this a lot, for other people.

I was thinking in the future, I would order DH or myself our own special cake to celebrate.

The only advice I have would be to maybe take a CM aside and ask them if they can help you make that celebration memorable, maybe when you check-in at the restaurant drops some hints.

Just remembered, I put my husband's birthday noted on our club level room reservation, and he did receive a very nice small gift. But, I guess that is what people expect with club level since it costs so much more.

Last edited by brertoad; 04-06-2013 at 11:40 PM.
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Don't be too bummed about the cupcakes--I got both of them at Cape May for breakfast.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997
Don't be too bummed about the cupcakes--I got both of them at Cape May for breakfast.
They are like pound cake! Not particularly yummy imho.

We have been there for DH's birthday and our anniversary and we have gotten the cupcakes, champagne, a signed card from the characters...The thing is we don't really expect anything and then it just happens. We got upgraded to a family suite at ASMu over DH's birthday in 2010! It was awesome.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

The only way our celebrations have been acknowledged is when we are wearing the button they give you at check-in. Almost all CM's I walked by wished me a happy birthday on our last trip, as well as my daughter when we went for her birthday. We've never gotten anything else, which is fine. I just don't know why they make such a big deal to ask what you're celebrating and to add it on all reservations.

EDIT TO ADD: I just remembered, at the end of our stay I did get a photograph of Mickey under the door that wished me a happy birthday which I thought was really nice.

Last edited by ML_LovesDisney; 04-07-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: adding something
ML_LovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
MickeyGs
Mouseketeer

We did ds 5th birthday last year, it was also his first trip to disney, and they really did a great job. Every restaurant except coral reef he was given something, a cupcake at least, if not also a song! At both character meals he was given a signed card. Since then I have seen so many dining reviews where every meal ended with a treat, and nicer restaurants = fancier dessert to celebrate. We went again for his birthday and I think 3 out of 8 recognized it. Huge change from last year. Both character meals and boma. At le chefs we actually asked because they sang happy birthday to two tables in our section, and ds looked crushed. Try sang to him after she looked disgruntled and said she didn't know, but it was noted on our reservation and he wore a pin both years we were there for his Actual birthday too, I feel like many people celebrate months before and after, making the magic only occasional instead of guaranteed for those who are really celebrating.
MickeyGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
patty57
DIS Veteran

We took my son and his friend for a graduation trip last June, and noted it on our ADRs (only because WDW asked if we were celebrating anything). Bluezoo was the only place that acknowledged it, and gave the boys free desserts and offered congratulations. Very, very nice of them. No congrats or anything from anywhere else. Not a big deal, but I also wonder why WDW always asks if you are celebrating anything when you make reservations, and then they ignore it. I know thousands of people are celebrating something, and they can't make a fuss over everything, but I do wonder why they always ask.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfam View Post
It seems like at least 50% of visitors have some kind of button on--has it just gotten to be too much with everyone saying they are celebrating something so that only a few places really recognize the celebrations? Or is it just the luck of the draw?
I think it is a bit of both. The only way to be sure a special occasion gets the attention you think it deserves is to plan something extra yourself. Otherwise it is just luck. And I do think with so many people running around with buttons on it takes away from the specialness of the CMs doing something extra. People now expect it, instead of taking it as an extra bit of Pixie Dust.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #11
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

I used to be able to put in any celebrations when we made our ADRs online, but Disney doesn't have a place for you to do that on the new system.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

I think it is a bit of both. The only way to be sure a special occasion gets the attention you think it deserves is to plan something extra yourself. Otherwise it is just luck. And I do think with so many people running around with buttons on it takes away from the specialness of the CMs doing something extra. People now expect it, instead of taking it as an extra bit of Pixie Dust.
Totally agree. We wear buttons and note our celebrations, but that's it. We basically forget about expectations from restaurants or cm's, and that's how the magic happens! It has never been at every restaurant. That's ok! By not expecting it or even thinking about it we are able to enjoy our time, and if we get pixie dusted it's even more awesome.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
Nagle
Proud Canadian

We were in WDW in December for my 50th birthday.

My wife made sure I got (and wore) my Birthday badge. For the most part I got lots and lots of birthday wishes from CMs and other guests. Cannot remember where but I did get a birthday cupcake.

There were two places that went above and beyond.

We had dinner at Olivia's and our server (John) made an announcement to all diners that there was a special guest in the room. He then came over, sang a very funny version of Happy Birthday to me and gave me an ice cream Sunday (with lots of sprinkles and smarties). He was the friendliest server ever in all our years of visiting Disney. Food was just ok, but I would go back just to sit in his section again.

We had dinner at the Turf Club. We were way too full for dessert. When we got back to AKV, we stopped in at Jiko to see if we could get in for coffee and dessert. We were seated at the counter overlooking the appetizer kitchen. Ordered dessert for the two of us and a press pot of good coffee. Our server added a third bit of dessert and wished me a very happy birthday.(believe it was the flour less chocolate cake. Delicious). Now the part that really threw me. As we were sitting there, the manager came by to see how things were going, saw my badge and wished me a happy birthday. End of a very enjoyable day. Two mornings later there was an envelope on the floor just inside our door as we came back to our room. It was a hand written note from the manager at Jiko thanking us for sharing my birthday evening at their restaurant. I was floored. Made my day.

John
Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
Totally agree. We wear buttons and note our celebrations, but that's it. We basically forget about expectations from restaurants or cm's, and that's how the magic happens! It has never been at every restaurant. That's ok! By not expecting it or even thinking about it we are able to enjoy our time, and if we get pixie dusted it's even more awesome.
Agreed. I don't think anyone should expect the magic to happen. Then it would not be magic!

We have been to Disney many times and celebrated lots of events on our trips. The biggest part of the celebration for my family is just being able to be together in such an awesome place. Sometimes, though, a little pixie dust is thrown to make it that much more special. Not expecting it makes it so much cooler.

In our experience, we have gotten
-a personalized anniversary menu at Le Cellier
-a birthday card signed by all staff at Le Cellier
-the Biergarten Oompa band acknowledged DH and my 10 year anniversary and made us stand up and be recognized
-free cupcakes

We are celebrating our daughters 9th birthday for our trip next week....and WE have arranged for (and paid for) some magic to be waiting for her in our room. Anything else that happens will be icing on the Disney cupcake!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

I had my 30th Birthday in MK last year, my mum insisted I wore the birthday pin and she had made a reservation at The Plaza and told them in advance it was my 30th. There was nothing, no confetti, not even a 'Happy Birthday' from our waiter (who was actually very rude and more interested in the 2 tables of scantily clad high school girls that were there for Spring Break!) I wasn't bothered but my mum was pretty upset about it then the waiter asked if we were celebrating and my mum said about my birthday, he still didn't say Happy Birthday but said he would be take note and have a surprise for me, a surprise that never came, lol! Again he went off, chatting up the young girls at his other tables and forgot about us! I will say that watching a 25-30 year old man trying to chat up high school girls was painfully amusing to watch and took my mind off the poor service we got from him!

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: