Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Port Mom
Mouseketeer

Tower of Terror.....The Truth

I am a "chicken" on most rides. How does the drop on ToT compare to the drop on the Jurassic Park Ride at Islands of Adventure? I have been on that several times, and by the time I count to 4, the 80' drop is over. I have been to WDW a lot, and have always avoided ToT, but I am so curious, and want to go on this trip.......but I'm chicken. Any thoughts?
Port Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
princessmocha
Mouseketeer

I haven't done the Jurassic Park ride, but I didn't think ToT was that bad. I refuse to do the drop ride at our local amusement park because it freaks me out and I don't think it is as high as ToT. The thing with ToT is that I can't see how far we are dropping, so I can't get as scared. If that makes any sense at all. It's dark in there do I am less freaked out.

princessmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Never been on the Jurassic ride, but TOT is one of the best themed attractions in all of WDW. The truth is you're going to have to try it to know if it's too much for you. Good luck
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

My favorite ride! I love the feeling of weightlessness! If I'm in the back row, I love putting my arms up!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I've done both and for me the ToT is worse because you could potentially keep dropping and dropping. At least with Jurassic Park, you know that it's done once you do it.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
BridgetBordeaux
DIS Veteran

I am not a big thrill ride junkie. It took me several visits to get the nerve to try ToT. If you can handle Splash, then you can do ToT. I now go on it every trip we take!

I experienced no nausea or sensation of extreme height ( you can only look out and not down).

The best description of what it feels like is something like this...........
........as a kid do you remember when a big kid or adult would push you on the swing on a swingset and they pushed you a little too hard? For a fraction of a moment the swing chain would go slack at the top of your arc, you would be weightless for a moment, and then swing back down. That is what ToT feels like.
POP Dec 2009, June/Sept 2010, June/Sept 2011, May/Sept 2012, May/Sept 2013, May/Sept 2014
BridgetBordeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Port Mom
Mouseketeer

Thanks. I can handle all the "mountains" at MK. I think I will give ToT a try. Of course, I am still deciding on Expedition Everest.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Mom View Post
I am a "chicken" on most rides. How does the drop on ToT compare to the drop on the Jurassic Park Ride at Islands of Adventure? I have been on that several times, and by the time I count to 4, the 80' drop is over. I have been to WDW a lot, and have always avoided ToT, but I am so curious, and want to go on this trip.......but I'm chicken. Any thoughts?
Not to spoil anything but Tower of Terror has more than just one drop where it's all over. You counting to four won't mean anything.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
Thanks. I can handle all the "mountains" at MK. I think I will give ToT a try. Of course, I am still deciding on Expedition Everest.
I hate roller coasters that have big, long drops. I hate that "stomach coming up to my throat" feeling. That said, Expedition Everest is something I will ride and enjoy. No big drops. I have no desire to go on Tower of Terror as I know it will feel the same as a big drop on a coaster, and the fact that they drop you over, and over and you never know when it's going to end...nope, not for me.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

Quote:
EE is quite a bit more intense than TOT, but it also is a fantastically themed ride. I sure wouldn't do EE right after a big meal, but TOT wouldn't bother me.
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
boo3853
Earning My Ears

Jurassic park and tot are apples to oranges been both they both are fun. I think that rockin' rollercoaster is scarier but this opinion is coming from an adrenaline junkie that has done many of these rides too many times.
boo3853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
Port Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo3853 View Post
Jurassic park and tot are apples to oranges been both they both are fun. I think that rockin' rollercoaster is scarier but this opinion is coming from an adrenaline junkie that has done many of these rides too many times.
How are Jurassic Park and ToT so different? Aren't they both a BIG drop?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
ArielDreams
Mouseketeer

It's hard to compare Jurassic and ToT because they're totally different rides. But to second a previous poster, to me ToT is less "scary" because it's in the dark and you don't really have a reference for how fast/far you're falling. At Jurassic (or Splash for that matter) you can see below you and that's when I get the "heart in your throat" sensation. Give it a try! ToT is probably my all time favorite!
July 2003 - Caribbean Beach * March 2005 - Pop Century * September 2005 - Coronado Springs
April 2006 - Newport Bay Club (Disneyland Paris) * November 2008 - All Star Movies * October 2010 - Disney Family Museum San Francisco
August 2011 - Boardwalk Inn* April 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (and engaged at MK!) * Up Next: April 2015 - resort TBA

ArielDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:

How are Jurassic Park and ToT so different? Aren't they both a BIG drop?
ToT is multiple drops and lifts straight down and up, while JP is one drop on an incline. I think they're pretty different.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The best comparison would be ToT and Dr. Doom's FreeFall... tower of terror is the same except indoors.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: