Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
jtkboston
hooked on cruising

No homemade perishable foods, or no homemade foods?

The DCL FAQ on prohibited items says:
Quote:
Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention.
Does this mean no homemade foods, or no homemade perishable foods? (The placement of "other" makes their statement ambiguous.)

For example, would homemade candy be permitted?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
TheWalsh
Earning My Ears

The other means if it can go bad, don't bring it. In regards to your question no, nothing homemade
TheWalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
PWammy
Mouseketeer

I think it would depend on how it was packaged. That's kind of the case on all cruises, so you might want to call them.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Given the fact they say anything opened is enough to say no homemade food, since not likely homemade food is factory sealed.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

It's horrible wording, isn't it?

Are you thinking of homemade candied ginger? I certainly was, but ran out of time to make it. Given what I feel is huge ambiguity in the statement I would have brought it on and not expected problems.

We brought cashews that we had "decanted" into pre-weighed baggies (for blood sugar, anti-crankiness, and weight-control purposes) on and as far as we know no one even noticed them.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

This isn't Disney's rule, its U.S. Customs.

I think the issue is, it easier for customs to confirm what is in a commercially produced product than a home made one.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkboston View Post
The DCL FAQ on prohibited items says:

Does this mean no homemade foods, or no homemade perishable foods? (The placement of "other" makes their statement ambiguous.)

For example, would homemade candy be permitted?
It means "no homemade foods, no pre-cooked foods, no perishable foods" may be brought onboard. Only pre-packaged commercially prepared foods in factory sealed containers.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
We brought cashews that we had "decanted" into pre-weighed baggies (for blood sugar, anti-crankiness, and weight-control purposes) on and as far as we know no one even noticed them.
You could always bring the sealed container onboard along with plastic zipbags and decant them onboard. That way you wouldn't have to worry about them being found & disposed of before you board.

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
This isn't Disney's rule, its U.S. Customs.

I think the issue is, it easier for customs to confirm what is in a commercially produced product than a home made one.
I don't see why Customs would care what you brought onto the cruise. They are very concerned about what you take off the cruise.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
I don't see why Customs would care what you brought onto the cruise. They are very concerned about what you take off the cruise.
It's simple really. Customs doesn't want to have to deal with folks who have leftover homemade food at the end of the cruise. They have no way of knowing it originated with you here in the U.S. So by prohibiting it at the start of the cruise, it can't be an issue at the end.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
It's simple really. Customs doesn't want to have to deal with folks who have leftover homemade food at the end of the cruise. They have no way of knowing it originated with you here in the U.S. So by prohibiting it at the start of the cruise, it can't be an issue at the end.

You used to not be able to carry fruit across state lines, in fact, some states still might not let you. My dad had to throw out a couple of apples from his camper many years ago while going from one state to the next. I *think* California into Arizona, but I'm not 100% sure.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
PWammy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
I'm guessing it's a safety issue, not sure what it is, where it came from, not labeled . . .
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: