Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Any regrets upgrading?

This question is for the frugal. I am pretty thrifty for the most part. I'm not cheap....I just love value. I like to get the most for what I pay. I've recently always picked the cheapest option for resorts for my family of five. Usually PoR. I love the resort. It's beautiful. The only thing is the room is really a tight fit. Not really a big deal but definitely no room to move.

I'm considering spending more money this time. I guess what I'm asking is have any of you done this? Put aside your frugal ways and upgraded? Did you regret it? Did you get your money's worth? Please.....do tell.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
mdsouth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78 View Post
This question is for the frugal. I am pretty thrifty for the most part. I'm not cheap....

I'm considering spending more money this time. I guess what I'm asking is have any of you done this? Put aside your frugal ways and upgraded? Did you regret it? Did you get your money's worth? Please.....do tell.
Great question. I can't offer any help except that we stayed in mods when our family of four could stay in a value. We enjoyed our stays in mods but really have nothing to compare it to since we have not stayed in values. I liked the rooms and pools and settings at the mods. We are planning a trip for Feb 2014 and I am once again thinking about values versus mods.

I am curious to what others will say.

Feb 9-16, 2014 - PORFQ with S/P/D offer
Summer 2009 - CSR
May 2005 - CBR

Trip Reports:
For the First Time in Forever - A Trip to See My Son March in MK Feb 2014

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52227352

I must be completely insane or not! June/July 2009 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2159070
mdsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Why not two rooms at a value? it would definitely give you more room, and it would probably be comparable in price to a mod. Maybe you've already done this in the past if you are frugal.
Disneylover99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Why not two rooms at a value? it would definitely give you more room, and it would probably be comparable in price to a mod. Maybe you've already done this in the past if you are frugal.
Yeah I've priced these and they are definitely in the running. I think what I'm worried about is they don't guarantee joining rooms.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Steven41782
DIS Veteran

Have you considered renting DVC points? We're doing that this year. Granted, we are a family of 2 adults, 1 toddler and 1 infant. Price that out and consider what the going rate for the deluxes are and see if you find any value. We did, but for a studio and that won't accommodate 5.
2004 Yacht Club . 2005 POFQ . 2006 Disney Magic . 2006 Contemporary . 2007 Coronado Springs . 2008 POFQ . 2009 Swan . 2010 Wilderness Lodge . 2011 Disney Dream . 2012 Caribbean Beach . 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Steven41782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
amelia1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78
This question is for the frugal. I am pretty thrifty for the most part. I'm not cheap....I just love value. I like to get the most for what I pay. I've recently always picked the cheapest option for resorts for my family of five. Usually PoR. I love the resort. It's beautiful. The only thing is the room is really a tight fit. Not really a big deal but definitely no room to move.

We are heading down in Oct. I am trying to decide between POR and AoA. We are a family of 5 and the extra bathroom in the family suite is very tempting.
amelia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven41782 View Post
Have you considered renting DVC points? We're doing that this year. Granted, we are a family of 2 adults, 1 toddler and 1 infant. Price that out and consider what the going rate for the deluxes are and see if you find any value. We did, but for a studio and that won't accommodate 5.
I have considered this. My ONLY hang up is that the whole points thing is terribly confusing to me. I know that's really bad but I DO NOT get it. Purchasing the points is one thing. Then apparently there are wait lists I think? That whole thing scares the poop out of me. I just go with what I know .
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yeah I've priced these and they are definitely in the running. I think what I'm worried about is they don't guarantee joining rooms.
Ah yes...I never thought of that!
Old 04-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
amelia1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad madam mim78

I have considered this. My ONLY hang up is that the whole points thing is terribly confusing to me. I know that's really bad but I DO NOT get it. Purchasing the points is one thing. Then apparently there are wait lists I think? That whole thing scares the poop out of me. I just go with what I know .
I have to agree with you. It's too overwhelming for me to even begin to look at!!
amelia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia1 View Post
We are heading down in Oct. I am trying to decide between POR and AoA. We are a family of 5 and the extra bathroom in the family suite is very tempting.
I know! Then I get thrown into the thought of...."we'll if I'm gonna pay that much for a value I might as well pay some more for say ft wilderness...then if I'm going that far I might as well pay for animal kingdom..." Its a vicious cycle! LOL
Old 04-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Steven41782
DIS Veteran

http://www.dvcrentals.com/PointsCalcNew/PointsCalc.asp

This is a link where you put in your dates and it tells you the cost of the various properties...should you get up the courage to check out DVC points.
2004 Yacht Club . 2005 POFQ . 2006 Disney Magic . 2006 Contemporary . 2007 Coronado Springs . 2008 POFQ . 2009 Swan . 2010 Wilderness Lodge . 2011 Disney Dream . 2012 Caribbean Beach . 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Steven41782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I originally felt the same way as you about renting! It all seemed so...complicated! However, I've worked with a great travel company approved by DIS that helped me secure my DVC rental for next year. Their website was great and really explained everything very well. Looking back I don't know why I was so hesitant because it all seems so easy!

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop), January 2015 (ASMo)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven41782 View Post
http://www.dvcrentals.com/PointsCalcNew/PointsCalc.asp

This is a link where you put in your dates and it tells you the cost of the various properties...should you get up the courage to check out DVC points.
Thanks! I gave it a look. It's interesting. I've got some people I know who are in the DVC community. I'll ask them somethings.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

What about if you book a value (like Pop because it has the most rooms) and make your only room request as connecting rooms. I wonder if you arrived and they could not meet that request could they call AofA or any of the AllStars to check on connecting rooms there. I know it sounds like a stressful plan, but I wonder if anyone else has been successful with that approach?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
What about if you book a value (like Pop because it has the most rooms) and make your only room request as connecting rooms. I wonder if you arrived and they could not meet that request could they call AofA or any of the AllStars to check on connecting rooms there. I know it sounds like a stressful plan, but I wonder if anyone else has been successful with that approach?
I hate to pull an eeyore but things just never seem to go my way when I put myself in those situations.

I'm always very envious when I hear people on here talking about the amazing luck they have with getting "unexpected upgrades" or their room requests being met. I'm the kind of person that can book 6 months in advance the exact room I need and would arrive and they'd say "oh we're sorry. There was a problem and you will be sleeping in the laundry room on a pile of sheets".

I'm not pushing my luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: