Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
catnik

DIS Veteran

Since Chef Mickey has gotten such bad reviews.......

where should we go for a GOOD character meal? Over the past 20 years, CM has always been our "go to" but the reviews lately have been SO terrible. Please give suggestions for a good alternative for breakfast or dinner (we usually do CS for lunch). Thanks!

1993@Contemporary; 1995@Buena Vista Resort; 1996@Wilderness Lodge; 1997@Dixing Landing; 1998@Port Orleans/French Quarter; 1999@Polynesian; 2000@Disneyland Hotel (concierge); 2004@Polynesian (concierge); 2005@Beach Club (concierge); 2006@Port Orleans/Riverside; October 2007:Wilderness Lodge Villas and AKL (concierge); May 2010: Bay Lake Towers; Wilderness Lodge Villas November 2011; Poly CL May 2013; upcoming: Poly November 2013

catnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnik View Post
where should we go for a GOOD character meal? Over the past 20 years, CM has always been our "go to" but the reviews lately have been SO terrible. Please give suggestions for a good alternative for breakfast or dinner (we usually do CS for lunch). Thanks!
Cape May character breakfast is a favorite of ours. It's a must do for us every trip .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

We love Chef Mickeys! Good food and great character interaction!

For me, the food at a buffet is pretty much the same everywhere we go at Disney. If the hot food is hot, the cold food is cold and the area around the buffet is clean and well maintained then we are happy. There is lots of variety and something for everyone!

We look for non rushed character interactions. That's what we get at CM. Don't let too many bad reviews sway you if you really like it there.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
jmcghee2024
DIS Veteran

Tusker House for breakfast or Garden Grill for dinner!
jmcghee2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnik View Post
Being another non-liker of CMs I wanted to comment that just because you read bad reviews on the boards about a place doesn't mean you should avoid it. If you have been to CMs before (like in the past 5 yrs or so) it may not be much different than what you experienced it to be. We just had more negative experiences there than positives but many people still like it so don't let bad reviews as of "lately" steer you away from it.

Now all that being said I'll add my 2 cents about favorite character meals...we enjoy CMC (but miss Chip n Dale there terribly!!)

Also like GG (we get to see Chip N Dale there lol!)

We also enjoy 1900 PF breakfast (not dinner). These all are rated in my mind with the food quality and character experience together. Feel free to click on the restaurant names to check out our experiences there (along with photos).
Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
We love Chef Mickeys! Good food and great character interaction!

For me, the food at a buffet is pretty much the same everywhere we go at Disney. If the hot food is hot, the cold food is cold and the area around the buffet is clean and well maintained then we are happy. There is lots of variety and something for everyone!

We look for non rushed character interactions. That's what we get at CM. Don't let too many bad reviews sway you if you really like it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
Being another non-liker of CMs I wanted to comment that just because you read bad reviews on the boards about a place doesn't mean you should avoid it. If you have been to CMs before (like in the past 5 yrs or so) it may not be much different than what you experienced it to be. We just had more negative experiences there than positives but many people still like it so don't let bad reviews as of "lately" steer you away from it.

Now all that being said I'll add my 2 cents about favorite character meals...we enjoy CMC (but miss Chip n Dale there terribly!!)

Also like GG (we get to see Chip N Dale there lol!)

We also enjoy 1900 PF breakfast (not dinner). These all are rated in my mind with the food quality and character experience together. Feel free to click on the restaurant names to check out our experiences there (along with photos).
I like that both of the above posters have said that if you like Chef Mickeys do not let bad reviews steer you away from it.

I believe this to be true, some of our favorite places to eat receive mixed reviews but we love them and refuse to give up on them.

We are going back to Chef Mickey's breakfast in June 2013, we haven't been since 2006. I am going to ignore reviews and form my own opinion because my family really wants to return for breakfast.

Good Luck!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
princesspooh323
Mouseketeer

We like Chef Mickey's, too. I know it isn't California Grill, but the food is still good. I love those potatoes, and it is a decent breakfast as well. I've read the bad reviews for years, but it is a must stop for my boys and my husband and I enjoy it, so we go every year. Last year was our first time eating there at dinner, and I was hesitant due to the reviews. I am glad that I didn't listen.

If you are looking for something new or maybe with something with food that is slightly better, I would recommend Garden Grill. The food there is fabulous, and the character interaction is wonderful.
Animal Kingdom Lodge- Kidani Village/ Swan October 2013, Coronado Springs/Beach Club Villas/ Pop Century June & July 2013, Pop Century/Bay Lake Towers Aug 2012, Polynesian/Caribbean Beach Aug 2011, All Star Music/Port Orleans French Quarter June 2009, Wyndam Lake Buena Vista Resort August 2002, Many offsite stays pre 2002

princesspooh323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

For me the issue with Chef Mickey's is two-fold, and it's not about the food:

1) The service is unbearable poor. It's not restricted just to the servers either. Over 5 trips to CM We've been given attitude from seaters, the stink eye from character handlers (I am sure this is due to the poor layout and peole constantly being tripped up by the characters trying to make their rounds) and have had the pleasure of overhearing servers standing to the side making nasty comments about guests, forgetting that there were others within earshot.

2) CM is severely overpriced and overrated by Disney themselves, partially due to it's popularity here on the web.

The only reason we kept going back was that it was DS' favorite. He's older now... we'll be leaving this one to the memory books.

Crystal palace is still one of our favorites and we've never experienced any of the problem listed under 1 above.
Another favorite is Ohana's breakfast, but there it's been hit or miss with service. We have had some very poor servers. to the point that they've gone MIA for the entire meal.

Last edited by twinklebug; 04-06-2013 at 06:21 PM.
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
DisneyHolidayFan
DIS Veteran

We ate at Chef Mickey's for the first time in 2012 and will be eating breakfast twice there this year. We thought it was terrific!!

As for Garden Grill - it used to be our favorite for several years but the last two visits have been awful. Last year, there were 7 of us and my husband could have eaten the whole amount served on the platter. When we asked for more, the waitress did not seem happy. The food was not that good and we will not be returning for a while.
DisneyHolidayFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Crystal Palace is my fave for breakfast. Followed by Tusker and Cape May (breakfast for both). Food is awesome at all of them and characters are adorable.

For non-buffet I like Ohana breakfast. Its all you can eat.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyHolidayFan View Post
We ate at Chef Mickey's for the first time in 2012 and will be eating breakfast twice there this year. We thought it was terrific!!

As for Garden Grill - it used to be our favorite for several years but the last two visits have been awful. Last year, there were 7 of us and my husband could have eaten the whole amount served on the platter. When we asked for more, the waitress did not seem happy. The food was not that good and we will not be returning for a while.
We love Chef Mickey's and have never had any problems at all.

Tried Garden Grill for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Food was fabulous, service was great and so was the character interaction. We even asked for some more turkey and our server had no problems getting it for us.

So, I have found you just have to try things for yourself.

Many people love 'Ohana for breakfast. That is the only restaurant that we have not been back to. The food was fine and so was the character interaction but our server pretty much ignored us. Worst service I had ever experience I have ever had at any restaurant.

One day we will go back and try it again..
Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
DisneyHolidayFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor3297 View Post
We love Chef Mickey's and have never had any problems at all.

Tried Garden Grill for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Food was fabulous, service was great and so was the character interaction. We even asked for some more turkey and our server had no problems getting it for us.

So, I have found you just have to try things for yourself.

Many people love 'Ohana for breakfast. That is the only restaurant that we have not been back to. The food was fine and so was the character interaction but our server pretty much ignored us. Worst service I had ever experience I have ever had at any restaurant.

One day we will go back and try it again..
Glad to hear that it was good - maybe, it depends who is cooking!! LOL!
DisneyHolidayFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyHolidayFan View Post
Glad to hear that it was good - maybe, it depends who is cooking!! LOL!
Could be. But the sad part about our visit at 'Ohana for breakfast was that the guy behind the grill realized how long we had been sitting there with no service that he brought us bread to eat while waiting.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
audracooper
Earning My Ears

I felt the same way after seeing all the bad reviews and I debated on crossing CM off of our list this next trip. I mentioned it to my travel agent, who goes to Disney several times a year. She said that nothing has changed over the past 5 years or so and that if we loved it before (in 2006, 2008 and 2011) we will love it again. That eased my mind and we left it on our list!
audracooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

We love crystal palace....did not like chef mickey. We were rushed with the characters. We wont be back.
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: