Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
dreamscometrue101
Mouseketeer

Dining Solo - Character Meals

I'm taking my first solo trip to the world October 19th to 26th and I think I've got everything taken care of except for how to handle going to character meals.

I know that I can get pictures taken with characters throughout the parks but I make it a point of going to Crystal Palace before Park opening on my MK day because the food is good and I love Eeyore. I was also thinking of going to Akershus as well.

My question is, do you think I could have the server take a pic for me with the characters? Typically I would have my DH or DS take the pics for me, but since this won't be an option I'm wondering if I should just pass on the character meals this time.

dreamscometrue101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
DaisyDuck001
DIS Veteran

I have found that servers are glad to do this if they can squeeze it in between their other responsibilities, but they are often so busy taking orders and serving food, that they may not be available when the characters stop by.

The best bet if you can is to arrange to meet with other solos for the meal, and then you can take pictures of each other with the characters.

Second choice would be to strike up a conversation with the family at the next table and offer to take pictures of their whole family with the characters, if they will also take pictures of you with the characters. Some families will really appreciate this, as it may be the first time dad or mom was able to be in the pictures.

Since you really enjoy character meals I would go ahead and go for it!
DaisyDuck001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Character meals solo are surprisingly lots of fun! What I did at Crystal Palace and I do at lots of character meals when I'm solo is I whisper in the character's ear "I'd really love to get my picture taken with you. Do you think someone would take our picture?" The character usually takes my camera, then goes over to either a server the character knows or sometimes even another guest (!) and "tells" them (signs) to take our picture. If it's a server, that's OK, but the times when the character has approached another guest has always caused everyone to laugh and enjoy the experience. But of course, no one dares say "No" to Tigger or whatever character does it.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
kwdw
DIS Veteran

I've had luck twice by asking the family next to me. And I returned the favor for them so everyone could be in the photo. With the one family, iIt really worked out well for all of us, and by the end of the meal, their kids had engaged me in conversation because I was someone new to tell all their trip stories to. So...I'd kinda been adopted and mom and dad seemed happy about it. The other group was just a twosome and obligated and were happy to get some couple shots, but we didn't really become temporary friends.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
ludari
DIS Veteran

I've done characters meals at least twice so far and the server took all my pictures.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Always had better pictures with the next table engaging, they love being all in the photo and then they are more than happy to assist me. They also have more time than the servers and its always nice to strike up conversations

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<--- THE cake see post # 2000

Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
dreamscometrue101
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much... I think I'm convinced.... Solo diner at CP! Now to wait until my 180 day mark... 12 days to go.

dreamscometrue101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
want2bminnie
Mouseketeer

I'm doin it! Going solo.
Got my ADR at Chef Mickey's for character breakfast!

So excited.......hope I can get some pics!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
diasol
Earning My Ears

Good for you. I have been traveling alone for a long time and have been to Disneyparks alot. I never had any trouble getting my picture taken. I always got help from CM's or my neigbours. Chef Mickey is a lovely way to start the day. Also try Akershus or Chrystal Palace before park opening. Be on time and you will get some nice pictures of EPCOT and MK icons, without a lot of people in your picture.
Have fun.
diasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Goofy'sPal
Mouseketeer

I have gone to two character meals during my solo trip. I went to Chef Mickey and Liberty Tree Tavern. The Cm will gladly take your pic with any character that comes by if u ask. Just give them the heads up when u sit down. I also had other guest offer to take pics with me and the characters when the Cms weren't around. If u have more questions just ask.
Goofy'sPal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: