Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
girlggc
Earning My Ears

What would be best for us?

Okay, so I'm planning to go with my husband, his parents, and my sister in law. We'd prefer to stay in a Disney Word hotel as opposed to off site. We'd like either a moderate or deluxe resort. My husband has cerebral palsy and will need to rent an electric scooter so it has to be handicap accessible. We figure that because of the scooter, we'll need to rent a car to get it around. So would be best trying to squeeze into one hotel room, get two hotel rooms, or get a sweet? What about a villa? I'm pretty confused at this point.

Edited to add that last time we went to Disney we ended up staying off site.
girlggc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Reddy
Scrapbooker

I would get 2 rooms since it is all adults - even if you have to go value (or do the one of the suites)
you can use the Disney Buses - they let the evcs on first (but then you get off last)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I'd go with 2 rooms at a moderate. You and husband can share the accessible room, and sister in law, and parents can share the other room. Have the rooms booked as linked, so they know you are together. This should be noted on your reservation.

POFQ might be a good resort for you because of the small size. We stayed there in Jan and enjoyed it. The buildings do have elevators, but you could also request a ground floor room. With a scooter, it may be easier. They also have accessible rooms. All wdw resorts do.

Disney busses do accommodate scooters. I don't know what kind of vehicle you'd have to rent to get a scooter in it? But you only need to rent a car if that's your choice. You can use Wdw transportation.

I would not want to squeeze 5 adults into one room. Deluxe resorts do have 2 queens + daybed, but I'd rather have my own space.

A 2 bedroom villa is pretty pricy, and sister in law would be in living room pull out
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
girlggc
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize that the buses were compatible with scooters. I just noticed that I misspelled "suite," sorry about that!
girlggc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

I agree you want at least 2 rooms. You'll see people on these boards trying to max out people in a hotel room and it sounds awful. I think you gotta ask yourself how many people do you want competing for a bathroom? And how many days are we talking about? Tight quarters for a night or two is one thing, but for a week or more?
Micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Either book two rooms, with one being handicap accessible or look into renting points for a DVC villa. A two bedroom villa would give you a ton of room to spread out.
I would look at booking two rooms at a moderate though, not a value. A deluxe will be expensive..probably more expensive than renting DVC points for a two bedroom villa.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Wistraveler
Mouse Over

I agree with most of the responses. My choice in that situation would be two rooms at a moderate. They wouldn't necessarily have to be adjoining rooms, though that's what I did my last time there.

I use a scooter, and the buses accommodated me just fine with very little hassle, so I wouldn't worry about transportation. The CMs at the various attractions were quite accommodating as well.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
aylarosie
Mouseketeer

Smile

My husband and I just returned from Port Orleans Riverside.My husband uses a scooter also,there was no problem at all. We were in aligator byu side first floor,the room was average size we just moved a chair and parked the scooter near the plug at night. The resort was big but easy for him to get around. We never had a problem with the busses ,usually two scooters are accommadated at a time. Another great thing about this resort was the boat to Downtown ,they also accomedated the scooter. We rented the scooter from Apple scooter and it was waiting at the resort ,it was our second time renting from them and the experiance was great. I think as previous posters suggested you should book adjoining rooms , two bathrooms is a must. Room wise a scooter will take up space and that way you will have more room. Have a great time and rest assured almost all hotels there are handicapped friendly. We were able to go to the lounge and store as well as the pool bar,the food court was very accessible. Good luck Nan.
aylarosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: