Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
jewelsb
Mouseketeer

To Photopass or not to Photopass?

Still trying to decide if we want to do Photopass+. Is it worth the cost? I'm kind of a photo nut and take lots of my own, but it the convenience of having someone else take some would be nice. Do you end up with enough photos to make it worth the price? What to do?

Port Orleans Riverside 6/13

jewelsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Reddy
Scrapbooker

how often can you be in the photos??/or have the whole group in the picture
do you do the Character meals?
are you going to ride the rides with the ride photos??

please answer those first so we can tell what to do
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
irishfanx4
Mouseketeer

We would say do it!! It was well worth it for us to do it!! Everyone was in the pictures. We had pictures taken all over, in every park and place imaginable. Then when we got home we could take our time and pick and choose at our leisure. We will ALWAYS do the photo pass when we go!!

Rebecca~Proud Army wife and Football Mom
Paul~~Our Army Hero and Proud Football Dad
Derrick 20-
Scott 18
SOG 5/05, SOG 3/11,Countdown to SOG 4/30, to 5/05/2014.
irishfanx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
jewelsb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy View Post
how often can you be in the photos??/or have the whole group in the picture
do you do the Character meals?
are you going to ride the rides with the ride photos??

please answer those first so we can tell what to do

Usually one of us is missing from the photo, or its just the kids. That's my main reason for leaning towards the photopass+. We have 2 character meals planned (Chef Mickey & Tusker House) and we will do many of the rides with photos. On average, how many photos do you get with it? (we're staying 8 nights)

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
kgsmith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb View Post
Usually one of us is missing from the photo, or its just the kids. That's my main reason for leaning towards the photopass+. We have 2 character meals planned (Chef Mickey & Tusker House) and we will do many of the rides with photos. On average, how many photos do you get with it? (we're staying 8 nights)

Thanks!
My 11-year old son and I stayed 5 nights/6 days a couple of weeks ago. We ended up with 262 photos (over 500 once I added borders). This included meal photos from Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, & 1900 Park Fare, and about 11 ride photos.

Last edited by kgsmith; 04-07-2013 at 09:42 AM.
kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

It depends on your situation. We were there for three weeks and had a couple of kids and grandkids with us. We knew there would be lots of pictures so we got it. 177 pictures worth. I just made sure I collected any new pass the kids got at night and copied the numbers. As it was we still were missing a few pictures but the photopass people were able to find them with no problem. It was totally worth it for us.

BTW we have never gotten it before and won't again unless there is a similar situation. We are going for F&W for three weeks in the fall and we definitely won't get it then.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
ibrokeitmommy
Mouseketeer

Ive gone back and forth a million times and finally purchased it. Since I have a decent camera and plan on taking it I was very torn. I also am not a fan of the borders and magic shots (just personal preference.)

The opinions of others that I have read that swayed me were: 1. The trend seems that people get more interaction shots with photopass vs the posed shot if you hand off your camera. 2. I am never in photos and I want the convenience of just having someone else take care of that for me. 3. We are doing almost all of the photo dinners and Pirates League. 4. This is kind of a big deal to us, we don't go often. Dh is already saying another 5 years before we go again after this trip. 5. If I feel like traveling light with just my phone camera I won't be worried of missing out.

I am not sure i made the right choice but I feel so much better after purchasing it. Good luck in your choice!
ibrokeitmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrokeitmommy View Post
I am not sure i made the right choice but I feel so much better after purchasing it. Good luck in your choice!
I'd say you made the right choice then.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
jewelsb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrokeitmommy View Post
Ive gone back and forth a million times and finally purchased it. Since I have a decent camera and plan on taking it I was very torn. I also am not a fan of the borders and magic shots (just personal preference.)

The opinions of others that I have read that swayed me were: 1. The trend seems that people get more interaction shots with photopass vs the posed shot if you hand off your camera. 2. I am never in photos and I want the convenience of just having someone else take care of that for me. 3. We are doing almost all of the photo dinners and Pirates League. 4. This is kind of a big deal to us, we don't go often. Dh is already saying another 5 years before we go again after this trip. 5. If I feel like traveling light with just my phone camera I won't be worried of missing out.

I think I've decided to go ahead and do it. For most of the same reasons as you. This is our first trip and we've decided to go "all out" for it (or at least as much as we can financially!) And I don't know how long it will be until we get back to WDW again. (hopefully not long!) Thanks for everyone's help!!

Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
meggimouse
Disney's First Tattooed Princess

i'm going to be the only person to say not to do it. it's too much money for the quality of photos you get. a lot of the time the photographers themselves don't know how to center (or only center when the people should be off to the side) and they most don't understand flash. i don't have a problem asking other people to take pictures of myself and my fiancé or asking the photopass CM as well - that way i can set up the camera/flash how it will look best. i am also overly obsessed with well-taken photos so that may be why i'm super picky.

if you don't mind asking other people or the CM to take pictures of your family, i'd say save that money and use your own camera.

we do get a photopass card for the ride pictures to look at later and decide.

meggimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
cbmamainnf
Earning My Ears

I agree with the pp....we did not use it last time and the CM'S were awesome about taking our pics with my DSLR. The pics were great...and since I do my own digital scrapbooking....it was much easier...and cheaper!
cbmamainnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
divamoma
Earning My Ears

PhotoPass pro

Do you have other friends or families going with you? You can both have pictures made with the same photopass ID and then split the cost!
divamoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #13
dizzycrazy
Earning My Ears

Photobook

I really like the photopass CD because I love to do the photobook!

DH DW DS 10 DD 6 DDog

July 2000 ~ First Trip with DH! Celebrated Second Anniversay! ~ POR
July 2007 ~ First Family Trip to Disney! Celebrated 9th Anniversary! DS 4, DD 9 mo ~ Pop

dizzycrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
tpimental
Mouseketeer

We have done it each trip and found it to be worth it for 2 of the 3 trips. I think of you know to use it that it is worth it.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
aimeeinohio
Mouseketeer

We do PhotoPass for a few reasons:
1. Mom wants to be in some photos too.
2. Actually mom wants to be in all the photos, she loves character meets more than the kids do.
3. Mom doesn't want to haul a big camera around.

We didn't do it the first time we went and there are very few photos with me in them.

We did it last year, eventhough it was just me and hubby and we got TONS of photos with us together. yes, I had my small point and shoot, so I would have a CM or PhotoPass person take a pic with it as well, but we got some super fabulous photos from Photopass photogs.

I even had them take photos with my iPhone so I could Facebook some right away.

We are going this August, and will use the PhotoPass. With three kids, and my in laws going, I want to make sure we don't miss anything.
Walt Disney World All Star Movies August 2013

...Hoping for a Disney cruise in 2015 for our 20th wedding anniversary...

aimeeinohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: