Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #31
gokdog
Mouseketeer

I would have to say Tusker House as well, had quite the wait and the whole experience felt rushed. The food was ok, but our expectations were high for one of the first character lunches they offered back in 2011.

We also were "unlucky" enough to have one of the worst seating sections, way in the back in this side room blocking most of the dining room by pillars, half the characters did not even stop by and those who did did not fit into the room with us very well.
Walt Disney World
WDW POFQ Dec 2011, Beach Club 2013
gokdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #32
lady_hlh
DIS Veteran

I was so excited to get an ADR for Ohana because so many people on the DIS rave about it and my DH is a big grilled meat guy. We were in the area behind the grill and I was completely unimpressed by everything except the bread pudding. My DD had fun playing the games so I didn't say anything during dinner in case my DH and DD both loved it. After we left the restaurant my DH who is not fussy at all said please never book dinner there again that was the worst meal I've ever had at Disney. There were other places he didn't love but this was the only time he ever told me never again and I definitely agreed with him.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #33
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

I have to say Akershus. I was so excited to try this one based on the reviews and this place takes it's position in our OH SO Nasty Trifecta (Chef Mickey's and Hollywood and Vine round out the top 3 in that group)

Akershus had the unfortunate combination of mediocre to bad service, inedible food and so-so (bordering on lame) character interaction. Obviously we aren't in a rush to head back there anytime soon!

Good thing there are so many other great choices!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #34
sarga
Earning My Ears

For us, it's a tie between Chef Mickey and The Plaza on Main Street. Chef Mickeys because it was very rushed, the food was very bland, and it was loud and lacked a good atmosphere. The Plaza was good food and good service once we finally got a seat, but it took them an hour and a half to seat us for our ADR, they were taking walk ups ahead of us, and when we questioned it, the manager said to me "your problem is that you have six people in your group." To which I replied "That is why I got up and booked my reservations at 6 AM the day our window opened!" He was so rude it pretty much ruined the whole experience.
sarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #35
glaserjm
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Crystal Palace dinner. I don't typically hold high hopes for dinner buffets in general, but this didn't even match up to my lowered expectations. The food sat too long, which lead to almost everything being dried out and there was nothing interesting offered, which seems fairly typical of the character meals.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

glaserjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #36
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Sorry but i had to comment on your review. You sound a tad picky. Forgive me, but you do. You were upset that the chicken was dark meat instead of white. And you were upset that there was a smear of "red stuff" on your dessert plate. The server wasnt wrong. There was no sauce ON the dessert. The smear is merely a garnish or decoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422

Sorry to hear that as we had a nice experience there HOWEVER I've been reading mixed reviews which had a lot to do with service there (which can even extend into the kitchen), but they have no excuses for soggy crust, c'mon?? Shame on them! That's a bummer!

For us it was...SANAA for us...NOT GOOD FOR US...feel free to check out my review...
Our Sanaa Lunch Experience

BTW when I've mentioned this on the boards and some posters actually flamed me! How can we possibly have a bad meal there?? It is possible just like your VN experience.

As far as some of the other restaurants mentioned, so not surprised to read about O'Hana, unfortunately it is always a "hit" or "miss" situation, just don't know why. We did not have a good experience at CP dinner either (late ADR-food empty, not fresh, etc) and we didn't care for 1900 PF (food) and we could never really understand the fascination with Le Cellier either. (yes many of the tables are crammed together but maybe some people like this??) And YSH which is another "hit" or "miss". We haven't been there in a long time because our last experience was a "miss" although I have been reading better reviews "overall" these days but still not sure about going back because it's a risky investment...lol!
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #37
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokdog
I would have to say Tusker House as well, had quite the wait and the whole experience felt rushed. The food was ok, but our expectations were high for one of the first character lunches they offered back in 2011.

We also were "unlucky" enough to have one of the worst seating sections, way in the back in this side room blocking most of the dining room by pillars, half the characters did not even stop by and those who did did not fit into the room with us very well.
I love tusker breakfast BUT lunch was a HUGE let down. Awful. I can relate to your experience.
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #38
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebug1997 View Post
Tusker House.

After two trips and two fairly bad experiences, we're not in a hurry to go back. Also, I think we must be the only people who have had bad experiences here.
Us too!

Our server was an absolute doll and the food was good.

BUT, it was the worst character interaction I have ever had at Disney. All of the characters were terrible, but Mickey was just AWFUL! He acted very put out when I asked for a picture and wouldn't even stand close! You know there is a problem when a 5 year old asks what's wrong.

It was also the noisiest restaurant I've ever eaten at - louder than 'Ohana and Chef Mickey!

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #39
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

We've only had 2 major disappointments:
Yachtsman Steakhouse - the food was just Ok but the service was so incredibly bad that we will NEVER return
Fulton's - the service was fine but the food was a BIG disappointment. I am a huge seafood lover and the lobster and crab legs were over cooked and tasteless DH actually commented that his bottle of root beer was his favorite part of the meal and he is not difficult to please
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #40
Puffy2
DIS Veteran

I don't even know if they still have it, but The Grapefruit Cake at Brown Derby.

I tried on three occasions to sample this repeatedly raved over desert. No tables available one year, had to cancel reservations another year...No tables available the third year and they wouldn't sell it "to go"...

so the big day finally arrives...and they bring the grape fruit cake...and I take a bite and ....it's pretty bad. Which of course, made me laugh after all the trouble I went through to finally have some.

The following character meals were ho/hum for us: Chef Mickey (too loud), Ohanas, Garden Grill, Hollywood and Vine, Liberty Tree.

Loved Cinderalla's and Crystal Palace.
Puffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #41
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

1900 Park Faire. None of us cared for the food. It wasn't terrible, but we won't go back.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #42
RRZJ
Earning My Ears

Chef Mickeys.

They always run late, food is mediocre, and characters always seem rushed.
RRZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
clapton
Mouseketeer

I really don't think any place in WDW has great food! Some are better than others but on the whole the food is just OK.
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #44
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

"We Couldn't Wait to try Captain's Grill, but it was a letdown"

Our dinner at CG was quite possibly the worst meal I was ever served in a restaurant.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #45
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapton View Post
I really don't think any place in WDW has great food! Some are better than others but on the whole the food is just OK.
Victoria & Albert's is obviously excellent. If that's out of the budget, try bluezoo. The food definitely falls in the great category.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: