Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
divabydisney
Mouseketeer

Twinsmom-

I can see why you would be worried. But I think with the longer cruise that would/could be very doable.

I think for me and my 2 boys we spent less than $200. Granted we didn't do excursions. With it being our first cruise, I didn't want to sign them up only to have them not want to do it. Also I'm not a drinker. We bought a bunch of stuff though, popcorn at movies, a beach towel, arcade time, laundry, bingo, toys in the gift shop, etc. We found plenty of things to do around the ship and felt like we had a great time. Take what you feel would be more within limit for your family and just have a good time.

divabydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
adisneytattoo91
Practically Perfect in Every Way

We weren't going to spend a ton, last year on our 5 day cruise to the Bahamas my DH and I only spent $500, on a few minimal things from the gift shop, a bottle of wine, but what caught up with us was the drink of the days on the pool deck and CC. Just wanted to call before and load up our account to make it a little easier

WDW 2007 BoardWalk
WDW 2011 Beach Club Villas
WDW 2012 All Star Music
DCL 2012 Disney Dream - Bahamas
Disney Fairytale Wedding 2012
WDW 2012 Coronado Springs
WDW 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
DCL 2013 Disney Dream
WDW 2013 Caribbean Beach
adisneytattoo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

We spent about $1500 on our last cruise, what really added up was the port excursions and we splurged and ate at Remy. We had DCL make our air reservations so the baggage fees for the return home were also on the final bill. We also booked our next cruise so we had the deposit too, though this wasn't on our shipboard account I still include it in the final total. We also didn't have any OBC.

On our next cruise I expect to spend about $500 which includes the $200 OBC. This will include nursery time, a birthday brunch at Palo, tips and some small souvenirs. We aren't planning any excursions, baby girl will be too little and we are flying Southwest so no baggage fees. Our 2014 cruise is already booked so I plan to re-shop it, deposit on that one is already paid.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #19
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Here's a kind of related question

We are putting one card on the account because since I paid for the cruise my mom buys the booze (We are not doing any DCL excursions and I prepaid the tips)

If I bought something in the stores could I just go to the purser's desk and give them a credit card or cash JUST for that charge? It would make the "settle" up at the end much easier.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

We are putting one card on the account because since I paid for the cruise my mom buys the booze (We are not doing any DCL excursions and I prepaid the tips)

If I bought something in the stores could I just go to the purser's desk and give them a credit card or cash JUST for that charge? It would make the "settle" up at the end much easier.
Yes, you can do that with all your charges. Just go right to Guest Relations and pay up, very easy.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

The itemized bill is by each KTTW card. For my daughter, for example, it was on my master bill but had her name and then not only the things she had charged to her KTTW card but her tips, her excursions, her spa treatment which I had arranged under the blanket reservation. If your mother charges all the drinks, she'll get the bill even if you drink them. If you charge a drink on your card, it will show up under your name on the final bill.

Nancy

Very easy to know who charged what.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
ScottFamily2005
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsmom328 View Post
First time cruiser here and seeing that number 1500-2000 just scared me. I wasn't planning on spending that much after already paying thousands to cruise... Is this an average amount to spend onboard? What are we paying for with that money? Drinks excursions?? What else?

Thanks!
I agree with the posters who say that this is within your control. You don't have to spend a dime unless you want to. Of course, like the PP said, little things like tips and souvenirs add up.

I anticipate we will spend about $1,500 and have planned for that as we have budgeted for our trip. A huge chunk of that will be excursions because, from what I have read, it is hard to do Alaska without excursions. There are also just a couple we really want to do. I have cruised to other destinations though, on other cruise lines, and have never done a single excursion.

I really like the suggestions of clearing your tab each day and carrying singles for tips. I will probably use those, along with pre-loading our tab and pre-paying for gratuities. Nothing would suck more than facing a giant bill at the end that you didn't expect or plan for.

Disney Wonder to Alaska June 17-24, 2013 - fell in love with DCL!
Next cruise: Fantasy Eastern June 6, 2015
ScottFamily2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #23
ScottFamily2005
Mouseketeer

Just to share, here is our "rough" budget for our 7 night Alaska:

Gratuities...............$ 250
Excursions..............$ 800
Spa........................$ 240
Palo.......................$ 100
Booze.....................$ 100

So that is in the neighborhood of $1,500 without considering other incidentals that might come up.

If we did nothing on the list but drink for seven days, that drops to $350. Of course, if we don't do the excursions or spa, the booze budget would go up.

Disney Wonder to Alaska June 17-24, 2013 - fell in love with DCL!
Next cruise: Fantasy Eastern June 6, 2015
ScottFamily2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
Brixton
Farms and Kids and Snow - Oh My!

We asked DCL to put our "dummy cruise" deposit toward shipboard credit for the 2013 WBPC. I'd like to think $1100 will cover our bill, but I anticipate adding another $500 in port excursions. We also bring lots of ones & fives for "little tips" around the ship, porters, and guides.

WONDERful Land/Sea; WONDERful Pixar 2012; WONDERful WBPC 2013; WONDERful Bahamas 2014; WONDERful EBPC 2014; DL AP's since...forever
Brixton is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: