Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

Post cruise suggestions

I know it's all personal preference, but would appreciate some thoughts. My DH can't stand planning so far in advance and debating with my mother by text message has grown tiresome on my thumbs, so I need someone else to weigh in.

We're going on the 7-day Eastern Caribbean in November. We'll spend the night before at the RI in Cape Canaveral. We come back on Saturday November 23 (weekend before Thanksgiving). At first I thought I couldn't get decent flight times back, so I started thinking about what to do with a day before flying home (I found a decent flight, but may pretend I didn't ). I've come up with three options and need some opinions.

I'll add that my son turns four on the 17th, so the trip is kind of a birthday celebration. We'll also have our then-10-month-old daughter and my parents. We've cruised once before (4 day) and been to Disneyland more times than I can count (well, my parents and me - DH is a newer convert), but we always go in the off season (we were there on Thanksgiving once and it was awful - although I remember the week leading up to Thanksgiving not being too bad). DH and I have never been to Disneyworld, though my parents went once.

Option #1: Spend Saturday night at a moderate resort on the Disney Property (thinking about POR either Riverside or French Quarter, but would definitely appreciate opinions based on kid's ages). Get one day in the park on Saturday (so straight from the ship to the park) and focus on the Fantasyland expansion in the Magic Kingdom. Possibly Animal Kingdom because DS loves animals. This wouldn't be *the* Disneyworld trip - just a taste - so we wouldn't be obsessed with seeing everything (and maybe it would be enough to convince me to try it over Disneyland). I kind of love the idea of getting off the ship, and everyone is so sad to be leaving the "Mickey Ship" and say goodbye to family (my parents live 2000 miles away), and then surprising DS (and DD, though she won't know what's going on) by showing up at Disneyworld and meeting Nana and Papa again. And I know last time it was so hard to be so close and not hit Disney. But - it's the Saturday before Thanksgiving - really bad crowds, I assume? I bought a subscription to touringplans and it looks like Magic Kingdom will be pretty crowded, but when I look at wait times they're not that bad. Also, after a 7 day cruise, will we be exhausted? Anybody have thoughts on the crowds that weekend?

Option #2: Visit the Kennedy Center and then spend the night at the Orlando airport Hyatt. DS loves space, so he would also enjoy this option, though not quite as much I'm sure (I know I'd wouldn't enjoy it as much )

Option #3: Find a cool, kid friendly resort in Orlando and spend the day at the pool. DS would likely also enjoy this one, and it would be a nice low key day. Any suggestions for a good resort?

Okay, debate away. Also, if you can think of a better option, I'm open to it. I obviously prefer #1, but am concerned about crowds (because it's also the most expensive).

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

I would do Disney World with my son and stay at the parks until they close. Let the other Adults watch the little one and do their thing. You can sleep on the flight the next day.

Mommy Time
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
Disney52303
Mouseketeer

Legoland!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Lots of childhood trips with family. As adult, '95 - Allstar Sports, '03 - POR (for our Disney wedding at the Poly); ASMo for one night, Magic (Western) honeymoon, '05 - joined DVC!, '07 - SSR, '08 - ASMu, '09 - SSR, Wonder, '10 - SSR for Princess half marathon, HHI, '11 - POFQ, '12 - BLT, Fantasy Western, Magic to Canada, BWV

Upcoming:
5/23-2012-5/27/2012 BCV
11/9/13-11/14/13 AKL & 11/14/13-11/17/13 3 nighter on the Dream!
10/30/14 girls' weekend on the Dream
12/27/14 NYE Eastern on the Fantasy!

Disney52303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

With a 4 year old, I would suggest WDW over KSC. Also, the French Quarter is great for kids. They have a great pool.

Even if you didn't do the parks, the French Quarter is just a quick boat trip away from Downtown Disney. After spending the day in the pool, you could head to T-Rex for dinner.

You can always take ME back to the airport on Sunday
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Option 1.

You're going to love it.

We were well rested from our cruise. We find cruising relaxing.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
cpc430
Mouseketeer

We are planning to do one day at the WDW post cruise also. And since we live in So Cal and have visit Disneyland regularly, we have decided to spend the day at Epcot (my kids are 7 and 9) to do something different. This isn't the big WDW trip for us either but really feel like we should see something since we'll be so close!!
cpc430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
Legoland!!

Is Legoland in Downtown Disney?

What time would we expect to arrive at POR if we used Disney transport from the port?

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Davetut019
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandrananette View Post

No it isn't. There is a big Lego store in Downtown Disney, but the LegoLand park itself is elsewhere in Orlando.

Davetut019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We made a trip once to WDW the week up to T'giving. All I can say is, we lived, we learned.

If that is all you have, well it's not that I would skip it. However, I would not bank on hopping very much...

Unless you mean the Sat PRIOR to the Mon-Thurs week of T-giving (and not the Sat AFTER T-giving.) In which case, I have heard the week prior is one of the BEST weeks to go for low crowds.

As it's been stated, I don't like to skip at least one WDW day, even if that meant one base day. (For us, that would prob be HS if we had to choose one but with the new Ariel and Belle open, my husband was nice enough to give me an extra base MK day.)

I don't even find it necessary to stay on property (have once for 5 day and it was great, but for a one day or two day, that's what Hotwire is for...)
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Since it's the weekend before Thanksgiving and not after, I would do the Magic Kingdom in WDW, and save animal kingdom til he's older, unless he's already adventurous enough to try Expedition Everest, and Dinosaur (which has been known to scare the snot out of kids twice his age.)
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
vcunning
Mouseketeer

Although some might say I went over to the Dark Side, for our post cruise letdown, we're going over to a Universal Studios resort. We've rented a poolside cabana (much, much less expensive that Castaway Cay) and plan on hanging out at the pool. My kids love the pools there and the Cabanas are great. You get free water, soda and a fruit platter. There is waiter/waitress service for food and adult type drinks. Even a TV in the cabana. It doesn't get Disney channels, but does get Nickelodeon I think it's around $125 of $150 for the day. We figure it's cheaper than going to the parks and our boys could spend all day in the pool (and do)
vcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandrananette View Post

What time would we expect to arrive at POR if we used Disney transport from the port?
Legoland is between Orlando and Tampa. On the grounds that used to by Cyprus Gardens.

Legoland California is very kid friendly (we went once with our 17yo that loves legos and we were getting funny looks because we didn't have anyone in the 12 and under club!! But my whole family loves it!! Not the "big" rides like Disney, but still very enjoyable!!

I assume that Legoland Florida is every bit as good as California.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
scarlett24
Dreamin' of Disney

I love option #1. The MK is my favorite and I would find it really hard to pass it up. The only reason I would not do it, is if you really think it will be a mob scene. I have never been on that weekend, so I don't know. We are staying at the Yacht and Beach Club for 1 day after our cruise the enjoy Stromalong Bay, but we are going to MK the day before our cruise. See what others have to say about the crowds.
December 2007 Wilderness Lodge

December 2008 Caribbean Beach Resort
May 2010 Polynesian
May 2012 Polynesian
May 2013 Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy-our first cruise! Poly & Yacht and Beach Club
April 2014 Polynesian

scarlett24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: