Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
BriAlie
Earning My Ears

I'm another one who wears leggings or tights or something along those lines under dresses and skirts, not only because I always seem to get caught in windstorms (not at DLR but in the real world) but because my legs rub when I walk and it doesn't take long for that sweaty friction to cause a painful rash that makes walking a nightmare!

BriAlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
Midnightred
DIS Veteran

I just bought 2 "skorts". with the shorts of the same material buillt in.

Midnightred
Midnightred is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows

I love Athleta's "Whatever Skort" for wearing to the parks. They are cute, light weight, don't wrinkle, and water beads up on it (although it will get soaked with lots of water). The shorts underneath are comfortable and I find they also help prevent chafing. I own 6 of them now in a variety of colors, and they are easily my favorite travel clothes. The "Whenever Skort" looks cute, too, but I don't own one (yet! ). I first discovered them when I was looking for something to wear when my son was a toddler that would help me feel a little more pulled together than shorts and a tshirt, but still let me chase him around the playground without worrying about flashing the rest of the park.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/produc...&pid=683764102

Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
ImarriedGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

I live in my target knit (jersey) wrap dresses at disneyland in the summer months. Call me scandalous woman, but I have never worn shorts underneath and never had a problem. Panties, yes, but never bike shorts. I don't own a pair of bike shorts! As long as you tuck right, there is no issue with flashing as long as your skirt is long enough.

So, black faux wrap dress, undergarmets, flip flops and straw hat is my outfit of choice June-July-August.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #20
bearette
Mouseketeer

You can wear whatever you want. I personally don't but I didn't go on my honeymoon either. I have seen girls in fancy dresses and super high heels that make me laugh every time. It is just like going anywhere else, people wear everything. As far as shorts underneath, if you are the type that need to wear shorts underneath then I wouldn't recommend the dress...I just stick to pants and shorts.
2007 Clarion Hotel Maingate/ Carnival Cruise
Disneyland Resort way too many times to count!
bearette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #21
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

I wore a dress once for a partial day. We had lunch reservations at Club 33, and I wanted to look nice. Afterwards, we hit a few rides, I think Splash MAY have been one of them. I did not wear shorts underneath. If you tuck your dress the right way, and don't bend over to touch your toes, you will be fine. I am actually considering a dress for our trip next month.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 6/14
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
undertheseas
DIS Veteran

I thought about it and I think I can manage the rides ok, I just wondered about sitting around waiting for Fantasmic or World of Color. I may stick with dresses for nights after we see the beach and go to Downtown Disney, etc.
2007 - POP
2008 - POFQ
2011 - Beach Club and POFQ
2012 - CSR
2013 - DL
undertheseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Depends on the kind of dress. I wear dresses most of the time, and especially at WDW and DL. But they're all Athleta dresses made from the kind of material that's quick drying. I wear them with really comfy Merrell mimosa emmes (athletic mary janes) or Reef ginger flip flops. The sunset dress and the nectar 2 are my favorite Athleta dresses, but they no longer sell the sunset and the nectar changed again his year. I've seen a fair number of the shorebreak dresses in the parks and Athleta still sells those.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon (GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #24
GeneralTso
DIS Veteran

I love a good skort!!

I don't wear regular skirts or dresses to the park because negotiating the entrance and exit for some rides gets a little tricky.
GeneralTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
beachdreamr1229
Mouseketeer

I wore a long skirt (maxi-dress type) once to DL and it tore on a couple of the rides (Matterhorn pre-refurb and Splash Mountain). So, if you're going to go with skirt/dress, I'd suggest something that's not too long because it's easy to step on it or get it caught on ride parts. I also agree with everyone on the bike shorts/leggings or skorts. I'm not sure where you can buy skorts anymore, but I used to wear skorts all the time when I was younger and they were trendy.

1987-1999: DL At least 1 trip per year
2000: WDW for Millenium Celebration CBR
2003: DL Grad Nite
2006-2008: DL 1 trip per year for the holidays
2013: First trip to DL with DS, DLH, PPH, APs for the year

Already in the beginning stages of planning another BIG trip to DL for 2015 (60th Anniversary), and another BIG trip to WDW in 2021 (50th Anniversary)!
beachdreamr1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #26
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImarriedGrumpy View Post
I love Athleta's "Whatever Skort" for wearing to the parks. They are cute, light weight, don't wrinkle, and water beads up on it (although it will get soaked with lots of water). The shorts underneath are comfortable and I find they also help prevent chafing. I own 6 of them now in a variety of colors, and they are easily my favorite travel clothes. The "Whenever Skort" looks cute, too, but I don't own one (yet! ). I first discovered them when I was looking for something to wear when my son was a toddler that would help me feel a little more pulled together than shorts and a tshirt, but still let me chase him around the playground without worrying about flashing the rest of the park.

me too ! I also have about 5 of the "sweet spot" skort. I pair both with yoga tops in the heat so I dont have to wear a shirt and bra !
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
wannagoback
Broke them in before the trip
We were with Goofy and Donald on the Teacups ride

Quote:

This is super cute! Thanks for sharing!
wannagoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
ImarriedGrumpy
AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy
artsfan married booksandcats!
Loves Target so much she has a planned "path" she follows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy from Boise View Post
me too ! I also have about 5 of the "sweet spot" skort. I pair both with yoga tops in the heat so I dont have to wear a shirt and bra !
I do that too - a yoga top with a built-in bra plus the skort, and I'm comfortable all day. I've also bought a few nicer tops that I pair with my skorts and a pair of cute sandals for a date night with DH when we travel. I'll have to check out the sweet spot skorts...I think I'm getting addicted to Athleta's skorts!

Delighted to be married to a Grumpy! Me DH DS (6) Beatrice Rosalind Alton
ImarriedGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #29
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy from Boise View Post
Quote:
I do that too - a yoga top with a built-in bra plus the skort, and I'm comfortable all day. I've also bought a few nicer tops that I pair with my skorts and a pair of cute sandals for a date night with DH when we travel. I'll have to check out the sweet spot skorts...I think I'm getting addicted to Athleta's skorts!
Happy to know I'm not alone in my Athleta addiction. And glad that others agree it's OK to own 5 different colors of the same item! I love how you can switch out the sandals on some Athleta dresses (maybe add some jewelry) and make them an entirely different outfits for date night.
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon (GF/BWI!)
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearette View Post
As far as shorts underneath, if you are the type that need to wear shorts underneath then I wouldn't recommend the dress...I just stick to pants and shorts.
What does that mean? The type to need to wear shorts?

You've just posted on a thread with MANY women saying that they wear skirts and shorts underneath, right? Who LIKE wearing skirts and shorts underneath. This isn't button-up shorts, but just something to keep the unders from showing. Totally comfy. You get the breeziness from the skirt, without the possibility of flashing the unders to people while getting out of the Astro Orbiters ride.

And I don't think people here are talking about wear-to-work skirts, but comfy breezy ones that you might wear with flip flops or my fashion choice of running shoes and cute socks. (YES I miss the 90s when we got to wear sundresses, bike shorts, and tennis shoes...I don't miss high-waisted jeans, but the other look I miss terribly! SO COMFY!)

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: