Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Question on split stays/codes/details..

Considering split stay but hoping for Free Dining or Resort discount code for September 7-14...

With some discounts stating "For stays over 5 nights etc." would the system be able to recognize that we are staying 7 nights if we spend 3 at Fort Wilderness Cabins and 4 at Contemporary?

If we move to Contemporary, I know we can leave our bags in the room and tell them where to move them (plus tipping) but will we need to get new room keys or can the information be loaded onto new ones...

If we have Free Dining, will it load 3 days of dining on the Fort Wilderness room keys then get new keys for the 4 days of dining on the Contemporary?

We have never done a split stay, but this is looking to be our last stay for a good while (3 kids will be in college in the next 4 years!!)...so want to make it a fun one!

We have to stay at Cabins or CR/Poly because they have the best layout for our son who is 6'4 and needs a LONG day bed...from all I can gather the YC/BC ones are shorter...would love to do a split stay there (never been) but son really needs to be able to stretch out...does anyone have length of daybeds in deluxe resorts??

Thanks!!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Disney doesn't recognize split stays as one stay. To their computer system they are individual stays that happen to be booked back to back. Usually you can book Free Dining for fewer days than they call out, but there is no way to know that until they do release that promotion.

As an fyi if you do a split stay for free dining, both of your reservation start dates will have to fall into the dates listed for free dining. For example, if free dining is offered November 10-20, and you book November 17-20 at the Poly and November 21-25 at the Beach Club you won't get free dining for the Beach Club portion.

If you do get free dining, split stays will be a huge headache. I would just pick one resort and stay put.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 04-07-2013 at 11:45 AM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post
Considering split stay but hoping for Free Dining or Resort discount code for September 7-14...

With some discounts stating "For stays over 5 nights etc." would the system be able to recognize that we are staying 7 nights if we spend 3 at Fort Wilderness Cabins and 4 at Contemporary?

If we move to Contemporary, I know we can leave our bags in the room and tell them where to move them (plus tipping) but will we need to get new room keys or can the information be loaded onto new ones...

If we have Free Dining, will it load 3 days of dining on the Fort Wilderness room keys then get new keys for the 4 days of dining on the Contemporary?

We have never done a split stay, but this is looking to be our last stay for a good while (3 kids will be in college in the next 4 years!!)...so want to make it a fun one!

We have to stay at Cabins or CR/Poly because they have the best layout for our son who is 6'4 and needs a LONG day bed...from all I can gather the YC/BC ones are shorter...would love to do a split stay there (never been) but son really needs to be able to stretch out...does anyone have length of daybeds in deluxe resorts??

Thanks!!
Disney doesn't recognize split stays as such, but rather 2 separate reservations. If you wanted to do a split stay, you would need to book a separate reservation for each resort. Split stays get expensive when the DDP is involved. If you want the DDP for the whole trip, you would have to book a package for both resorts, requiring you to purchase park tickets with each reservation. The best way to do a split stay is to purchase park tickets to cover the entire trip and DDP with the first resort and book room only and pay OOP for meals with the second resort. Park tickets are good for 14 days from first use, so you would be able to use them for the duration of your trip. If you get the DDP with both resorts, you would need to buy tickets with each resort (a minimum of a 1 day base ticket for everyone in the room if paying for dining and a minimum of a 2 day base ticket for everyone if free dining). You would also need to check out of the first resort and check in at the 2nd resort for your new KTTW cards.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

If you really want to do a split, it's much better to book a room-only reservation rather than a package (which you would need for free dining). Or one room-only and one package. If you want a package, I would stick to one resort.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhall2000 View Post

Thanks!!
Free Dining has a minimum requirement of purchasing a 2 day ticket for each person in the party. As far as I know, there's no minimum stay requirement, so you could do one night at a hotel with 2 day tickets, and only get one day of "free" dining. You can also do 7 nights with 2 day tickets and have 7 days of dining.

You will be issued new room keys for your new resort. If you have tickets on the first set, you will need to continue to use it for park admission, unless you can have them transferred (I don't know how easy this is). Your dining credits cannot be transferred from one card to another. You cannot "merge" 2 sets of tickets and dining together onto the same card.

I would pick one resort and stick with it if I was trying to do Free Dining.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Yep, plan #7 has been scrapped. Gee, who thought creating a magical stay could be so complicated?

Con with CR...price
Con with cabins...transportation hassle
Con with moderates..will not fit our tall family of five...refuse to use airbeds if spending $$
Con with YC/BC daybeds too short for tall son
Cry me a river...all I know is there better be a room at Disney in September that accomodates us well...honestly, not that picky in everyday life, just that one week of pure family fun ya want no blips or hurdles...thanks all!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: